The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 11:14pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NOTE: When a player is injured as in Art. 2(a), the official may suspend play after the ball is dead or is in control of the injured player’s team or when the opponents complete a play. A play is completed when a team loses control (including throwing for goal)....
Let's consider a non-safety-related injury here (not a head-banger, not life threatening, just a man down). You hold the whistle while the opposition has control.

Option A: Blow the whistle on the try for goal. If it goes in, it's an easy restart. If it doesn't, you have to deal with the dreaded arrow.

Option B: Hold your whistle until after the rebound.

Any preference? Or, is there an Option C?
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Didn't really fit in the meme thread but this happened Sunday.

Team B has a player injured on offense. Team A grabs the rebound and starts to fast break the other way. I run down as Lead tableside. Team A stops their break and pulls the ball outside the 3 point line. I blow play dead.

Coach A: "You can't do that!"

Me: "I can and I just did."

Coach A: "You're wrong."

Me: "Coach, player safety is m-"

Coach A: "YOU'RE WRONG" as he walks away.
My first response would have been, "That's the rule, coach."
If he had responded, "You're wrong." Then I would have gone with...
Me: Whack.

Btw, if I were the Trail in the backcourt with the injured player and you whistled after I deemed that he was up and ok, I would be annoyed with you. What do you think that your partner is doing back there? That isn't officiating with an R mentality, it is working with a me mentality. An R provides leadership. Sometimes that means letting his partners handle their business, not stepping on their toes and making it look as if they aren't capable or don't care about the possibly hurt kid.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Jul 23, 2014 at 12:14am.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Let's consider a non-safety-related injury here (not a head-banger, not life threatening, just a man down). You hold the whistle while the opposition has control.

Option A: Blow the whistle on the try for goal. If it goes in, it's an easy restart. If it doesn't, you have to deal with the dreaded arrow.

My preference is option A as that follows the rule. Option B is done by several people, but has no rule basis. Option C is to keep permitting the offense to rebound and shoot until either they score or the defense secures a rebound. That isn't correct by rule either, but I've also seen people do it.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 12:15am
Do not give a damn!!

It is summer, I might say just about anything to a coach. He would just have to get over it at that point. But that is me.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

I prefer option A. It's the earliest option to stop (assuming an immediate stoppage is not necessary), which is what I'm going for.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 09:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I try to be aware of everything happening on my court. As I run to new Lead I am always looking over my shoulder at competitive matchups and spotted the downed player. I'm not sure Trail or C saw it but frankly I didn't care. I'm trying to referee with an R mentality and I took charge once I saw the fast break stop. If I were working with more trusted partners then I would approach things differently.
I'm with Nevada. You're working with an "I don't care what my partners do" mentality.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 12:05pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Btw, if I were the Trail in the backcourt with the injured player and you whistled after I deemed that he was up and ok, I would be annoyed with you. What do you think that your partner is doing back there? That isn't officiating with an R mentality, it is working with a me mentality. An R provides leadership. Sometimes that means letting his partners handle their business, not stepping on their toes and making it look as if they aren't capable or don't care about the possibly hurt kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm with Nevada. You're working with an "I don't care what my partners do" mentality.
Remember this is summer ball. I'm working with partners that barely study the rulebook, have piss-poor mechanics, and don't manage coaches or players properly. From my position at new Lead I have a perfect view of the player down in the backcourt (Trail didn't stay with him) and a perfect view of the play unfolding before me. Trail didn't blow the play dead when the team pulled the ball out, so I did. Like I said, if I were working with partners who I knew took care of their responsibilities -- Rich or Nevadaref for example :P -- I wouldn't bother taking care of that. It's not my responsibility normally. During the summer it is.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

What we have here is failure to communicate!

"Coach, I have several million dollars worth of liability insurance. I just don't wish to use it today"!
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Remember this is summer ball. I'm working with partners that barely study the rulebook, have piss-poor mechanics, and don't manage coaches or players properly. From my position at new Lead I have a perfect view of the player down in the backcourt (Trail didn't stay with him) and a perfect view of the play unfolding before me. Trail didn't blow the play dead when the team pulled the ball out, so I did. Like I said, if I were working with partners who I knew took care of their responsibilities -- Rich or Nevadaref for example :P -- I wouldn't bother taking care of that. It's not my responsibility normally. During the summer it is.
We have all had bad partners. Get over it. That should not be an excuse for what you do or do not do in this or most situations.

That being said I agree, in summer ball I really could give a damn about what a coach thinks in that situation. At least hear summer ball is a different environment and even if I eject a coach, it is not like they have the same penalties, so honestly I do not care what they say or feel about the job I do. And in many cases the game I was assigned was not from the actual assignor that would give me games that that school was involved with either.

That being said, if I read this correctly, you probably should have called the play dead earlier or let it go. I can see the point of view from the coach, but I would not worry about their point of view. It is what it is and this is the place to make mistakes that have little consequence in the bigger picture.

Peace