The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 04:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cross Canceling (Sorry About The Math) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
... sense of urgency that they need to start moving, before they are allowed to, to get into position.
Timing to legally enter versus a sense of urgency to get into position to rebound? Hopefully they'll cancel each other out and we will have the same frequency of violations?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jul 24, 2014, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Timing to legally enter versus a sense of urgency to get into position to rebound? Hopefully they'll cancel each other out and we will have the same frequency of violations?
That's not what I was saying. I'm thinking there will be fewer violations. I'm not too worried about it either way.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2014, 03:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Herky Jerky ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
That's not what I was saying. I'm thinking there will be fewer violations. I'm not too worried about it either way.
I'm still just a little worried about those free throw shooters with a little "hitch" in their shot. If opponents are going to violate, it will be in the first period, until they all get used to his shooting routine. We, as officials, will have to really be on our toes in the early part of the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jul 24, 2014, 03:51pm
This IS My Social Life

Post-Camp(s) Report on New Rule

Quote:
...really be on our toes in the early part of the game.
Get 'em early and put 'em on notice, "We're watching." But of course we all subscribe to that.
Those indifferent to calling it under the old rule will be likewise indifferent calling it under the new rule, sad to say.
Six camps this summer and I didn't note any more or fewer lane violations called. Was a "break-in period" for those beyond the arc who immediately learned the new rule applies only to lane-space players. Takes a trail who, after reporting, isn't schmoozing with a coach or taking a break out by the division line, as sometimes is observed.
Did detect increased frequency of second space player cutting behind lower block player. Sometimes legally, sometimes illegally. When called we curbed it.
Clinicians, all of whom brought seasoned NCAA experience to the court, are having us closer to the FT'er as C. Not a bad thing. Much better look at that which C needs to surveil from halfway between the sideline and the nearer freethrow lane line or so than out on the sideline, which is where the indifferent reside during a freethrow, it seems.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 03:54pm.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 11:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm still just a little worried about those free throw shooters with a little "hitch" in their shot. If opponents are going to violate, it will be in the first period, until they all get used to his shooting routine. We, as officials, will have to really be on our toes in the early part of the game.
You'd have to consider the shooter and whether the motion is designed to draw the defense into a violation.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Using the "delayed-hitch" motion just before releasing the shot in the FT attempt is a time-worn stratagem used by players trying to "draw" a lane violation call. It's similar to in football, wherein either the QB will use long snap counts with lots of dramatic motions, head-bobbing, shoulder-faking, etc... to draw the 5 yards off sides penalty, or, when the offensive linemen use head bobs to pull the DT into the neutral zone.

So, regardless of the FT shooter's "intention" when using the hitch/delay motion in the act of FT shot attempt, if a lane violation occurred then we ought to decisively whistle it.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

If you think the FT shooter is faking -- that's a violation on the shooter.

If it's just a natural hitch -- that's a violation on the players on the lane.

Deciding which is which is our job.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 04:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sweet Georgia Brown ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you think the FT shooter is faking -- that's a violation on the shooter.
Even if the elastic band brings the ball back to the shooter?