The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 19, 2014, 08:36am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not do these games really for any other reason but to possibly see more plays.
Me too, and to work on my coach/player management skillz.
Old Sat Jul 19, 2014, 08:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Surprised that you would put yourself in a position which could turn out to "be very detrimental to your career" for $23-$25 per game.

AAU has a national coordinator of officiating? Can't believe that organization gives a darn in any way about officiating. To hear that their national coordinator is only offering $25 a game, makes it clear why so many of those AAU tournaments try get the officials for cut rates. No thanks!
He has nothing to do with paying or assigning local officials for AAU. I said he was site admin for local tournaments.

AAU has national officials who travel to different sites to work games every summer. He is the 1 who vets the applications for national officials.
Old Sat Jul 19, 2014, 12:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Who said it was running clock?
AAU tournaments in my area are always stop-clock.
Well they often are running clock. Again it might depend on the tournament or what level the tournament, but most off-season games where I am are running clock. Now I have done some AAU games that were stop clock, but I did that only in situations where I was working a camp. But this might be different your area.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 19, 2014, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Around these parts games are hard to come by, even at $22 per game. For almost all tournaments refs are coordinated by someone in our chapter (but aren't really chapter games) and most of us only work these "chapter" related games because there is some level of protection from summer ball problems like not getting paid timely, no admin support for refs at games, etc. Most of these games go to very experienced refs (JV to College) and I don't know of anyone in our area that has that attitude that they are too good to work summer ball.

Most of us use summer ball to hone our skills and stay fresh. We do get a little relaxed in our reporting, switching and rotating but not to the point of being lazy or compromising the game. For the most part, the attitude isto tret every game lije its a "real" game because uts real to the players and they deserve our best effort. If paired with a less experienced ref, we will focus on helping them with mechanics and I always try to pick one or two things I want to focus on to improve.

Almost every weekend there are tournaments with teams from 6th grade all the way up to Varsity college showcases (including AAU) and we probably use between 75 most weekends and up to 200 people when there are multiple tournaments. If we had people refusing then it would be tough to cover some weekends.

I know $22 isn't much but since I like bball enough to do this for free the I am happy to take it. I don't have to travel farand work 6 - 12 games a weekend so its worth it.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 03:54pm
This IS My Social Life

To the Point of the OP

Quote by Monty McCutcheon, NBA basketball official:

"Officiating is about creating good habits, so that we can depend on them at the biggest moment. If we don't create good habits in our pre-season schedule of scrimmages and camps and work at home, then we don't have them to draw on when we need them in that big regular season or post-season game."
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

"Officiating is about creating good habits, so that we can depend on them at the biggest moment. If we don't create good habits in our pre-season schedule of scrimmages and camps and work at home, then we don't have them to draw on when we need them in that big regular season or post-season game."
Preach, Freddy! Preach!
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 05:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He has nothing to do with pworking er assigning local officials for AAU. I said he was site xxx iteadmin for local tournaments.

AAU has national officials who travel to different sites to work games every summer. He is the 1 who vets the applications for national officials.
To update, today I witnessed the national officials working at the local venue go into a meeting with the national on-site observer to discuss an issue they were having, so there is accountability.

Also the national coordinator does not intervene in local AAU officiating matters. If he sees or hears about something questionable while working as site administration, he will request that the local assignors observe the officials.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rich,

Just keep saying to yourself, "Disney money is not like real money."

I almost blew a gasket last time I was there. 2 hot dogs and 2 drinks was more than $20.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 07:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

I doubt seriously that he is talking about anything we are discussing here. Summer ball and regular season ball in most places are not even in the same ball park of expectations. Even the players and coaches know it is different.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 08:08pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I doubt seriously that he is talking about anything we are discussing here. Summer ball and regular season ball in most places are not even in the same ball park of expectations. Even the players and coaches know it is different.
For some reason the coaches and players here expect officials to take more shit during the summer than during the high school season. For me it's the opposite.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm going to Disney World next month with the family and with all the prepaid stuff I already feel like I'm hemorrhaging money.
Rich - If you think your spending now, wait 'til you get there!

Roger
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 11:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
For some reason the coaches and players here expect officials to take more shit during the summer than during the high school season. For me it's the opposite.
When I said they treated it differnet, I did not mean that they complain less. Sometimes coaches complain from places not near the bench. Coaches in certain sitautions do not sit by their team's bench and often are in the stands and complaining as if they were on the bench. I know I do not treat them the same when they are not near the bench and often talk back more. But the point I was making is that during that a lot of things are not as regimented. Heck in many cases we are not keeping foul counts, so I do not see anyone caring if we do not get to the reporting area or switch on fouls or dead ball situations.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 24, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

On last night's game, my partner had been reffing since 2 pm, I arrived to gym at 6 pm (after I got off from work) and did 3 games with him until 9 pm. These were 8th graders from a club team. As that was his 5 th consecutive game, I told him that "hey we don't have to long switch on endline to backcourt area because I'm sure your legs/feet are tired". He appreciated that and siad that "thanks, I was hoping not having to walk as much." I could tell he was quite fatigued because he'd walk up the floor (with a gait indicating ailing feet, hips, legs or back) and also fail to reach the endline when he became the new lead and was following the fast break / outlet pass action. But all in all, I'm sure he reasoned that it best to have a big game check regardless of how ineffective the ref work labor rendered him.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 01:06pm.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2014, 01:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
On last night's game, my partner had been reffing since 2 pm, I arrived to gym at 6 pm (after I got off from work) and did 3 games with him until 9 pm. These were 8th graders from a club team. As that was his 5 th consecutive game, I told him that "hey we don't have to long switch on endline to backcourt area because I'm sure your legs/feet are tired". He appreciated that and siad that "thanks, I was hoping not having to walk as much." I could tell he was quite fatigued because he'd walk up the floor (with a gait indicating ailing feet, hips, legs or back) and also fail to reach the endline when he became the new lead and was following the fast break / outlet pass action. But all in all, I'm sure he reasoned that it best to have a big game check regardless of how ineffective the ref work labor rendered him.
Or he was filling in for someone who couldn't show. Or he was doing the assigner a favor by working that many games. I'd be slow to assign any motives unless you've got more information that you shared here.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Assignor put him on 8 games that day (is what he told me)--evidently that ref agreed to work those consecutive games and was therefore obligated to be there. But I'm sure he's enjoying his $200 payout from that day.