The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 13, 2014, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Looks like an easy PC call to me. How much better in LGP can the defender get? It appears the offensive player slams right through the defensive player. I would ship this the other way and never give it a second thought./
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Hope I'm not too tardy for this great online "party" (i.e., good discussion on whether that was the proper call). I offer this alternative explanation--which hopefully it will not be at the chagrin of my fellow refs--but here it is:

I agree that this was a bang-bang type of play and required the Ref to instantaneously recognize/determine if all the relevant variables for making a block vs. charge determination were operative (i.e., veriticality, LGP, etc...previously cited by other commentors on this thread); however, another intervening factor that possibly played into deciding this call COULD have been the proximity of the calling Ref to the team's bench and the subtle psychologic influence this may have had. If you note that the block/charge action occured on that team's offensive end of the court and in front of that team's head coach/coaching staff--and look carefully at the reaction of their head coach who was pacing the sideline in a pensive demeanor after the call was made. It seemed like he may have been "surprised" that the call was not a PC. By this circumstantial evidence, it could be inferred that the Ref may have been--by mere human nature or lack of temerity--influenced to make the blocking call because that Ref was very close to the team A's bench personnel. That factor could have been the incremental 'tipping point' that provided the impetus to call a block instead of a PC (which was probably the proper call to make).

Now, before anyone online here rails on me for implying that Refs are not influenced by head coaches in high-intensity type of games (like the one on the vidoe) in making calls---let me say that I believe that all Refs are held in the utmost level of trust and fair judgement by peers, coaches, and players.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Wed Jul 16, 2014 at 10:37am. Reason: grammar
Old Wed Jul 16, 2014, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
however, another intervening factor that possibly played into deciding this call COULD have been the proximity of the calling Ref to the team's bench and the subtle psychologic influence this may have had. If you note that the block/charge action occured on that team's offensive end of the court and in front of that team's head coach/coaching staff--and look carefully at the reaction of their head coach who was pacing the sideline in a pensive demeanor after the call was made. It seemed like he may have been "surprised" that the call was not a PC. By this circumstantial evidence, it could be inferred that the Ref may have been--by mere human nature or lack of temerity--influenced to make the blocking call because that Ref was very close to the team A's bench personnel. That factor could have been the incremental 'tipping point' that provided the impetus to call a block instead of a PC (which was probably the proper call to make).

Now, before anyone online here rails on me for implying that Refs are not influenced by head coaches in high-intensity type of games (like the one on the vidoe) in making calls---let me say that I believe that all Refs are held in the utmost level of trust and fair judgement by peers, coaches, and players.
Well hate to disappoint you but I don't care what the reaction would be by anyone other than my partner. I want to be consistent as a crew and if my P had made a similar call on one end, I want to be consistent on the other end. Other than that, I don't care what a coach may think. I'd go so far as to say that if you are doing that, you should find a new hobby.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2014, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Oh you are not "disappointing me" at all. Quite the contrary, you are emboldening the code of unbiased reffing that needs to be practiced regardless of time, situation, or circumstance. In fact, I would have expected you to make such a comment--actually would've been surprised if you had not.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2014, 01:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Oh you are not "disappointing me" at all. Quite the contrary, you are emboldening the code of unbiased reffing that needs to be practiced regardless of time, situation, or circumstance. In fact, I would have expected you to make such a comment--actually would've been surprised if you had not.
Then why would you surmise that the ref made his called based on anything other than what he saw?
Old Thu Jul 17, 2014, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By this circumstantial evidence, it could be inferred that the Ref may have been--by mere human nature or lack of temerity--influenced to make the blocking call because that Ref was very close to the team A's bench personnel.
In my most humble of opinions: Garrrr-bage.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2014, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
In my most humble of opinions: Garrrr-bage.
* In my most humble of opinions: Naive
Old Fri Jul 18, 2014, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
IMHO, you think way too much. See a play, make a call. Once the call is made, I'm getting away from that coach anyway.

Next thing you'll say is that maybe they made the call against the visiting team just cause the crowd wouldn't boo as loudly. (Yes, I know it was against the home team. But my theory is just as stupid as yours.)
Old Fri Jul 18, 2014, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So you are saying that you think the ref's call was influenced by the coach? How do you merge that with your words about "utmost" respect and integrity?

They don't mesh.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 01:38am
Barely $.02 cents worth

Lead shouldn't have a whistle on this at all - the defender clearly comes from center's primary.

That being said - I have an offensive foul - you move that clip in slow motion, you can see the defender has 2 feet, facing the defender before she starts her try.