The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Series of Articles on NFHS Proposals

Basketball rules committee talking points with Theresia Wynns, NFHS Director of Sports & Officials Education - cleveland.com

From cleveland.com.

I am in favor of 18-minute halves to keep the game moving and take away two intermissions where everyone is considered bench personnel. I am not in favor of a shot clock. My main reasons...

1) Check out the article on that link about the cost of shot clocks
2) It's not high school basketball's job to get its +/- 3 percent of future college players ready for the next level.
3) The game flows well enough without a shot clock, and it would put less skilled teams at a tremendous disadvantage.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

I would only favor the move to 18-minute halves if the officiating fees were to also increase by the same percentage (12.5%).

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 06:04pm.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 06:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would be an advocate of 18 minute halves as well for no other reason other than it could help the game. But I do not see pay increasing like that either, at least around here.

I still see no reason to have a shot clock in HS.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 07:53pm
AremRed

I would be willing to bet she misspoke and meant 16 minute halves.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

I think the argument that the kids will get tired playing four more minutes is a little bit ridiculous. Four minutes more or less than 32 is not going to have a major impact on their fatigue. These kids want to be out there. Are we saying that we should limit the number of overtime periods to not tire the kids out? Basketball is innately a tiring activity, and upping the length of the game by four minutes will not make it a "more tiring" activity or more dangerous.

The other argument that I don't like is the one about kids getting done even later on a school night. If we take away two 1-plus minute intermissions by going to halves, that's a net addition of a mere two minutes, an extra four minutes of playing time minus at least two minutes of intermissions. If those two minutes are really that big of a concern, take less time in the locker room after the game.

I don't think these arguments should be reasons not to change to halves.

Last edited by bballref3966; Wed Apr 23, 2014 at 09:00pm.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 08:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I think the argument that the kids will get tired playing four more minutes is a little bit ridiculous. Four minutes more or less than 32 is not going to have a major impact on their fatigue. These kids want to be out there. Are we saying that we should limit the number of overtime periods to not tire the kids out? Basketball is innately a tiring activity, and upping the length of the game by four minutes will not make it a "more tiring" activity or more dangerous.

The other argument that I don't like is the one about kids getting done even later on a school night. If we take away two 1-plus minute intermissions by going to halves, that's a net addition difference of a mere two minutes, an extra four minutes of playing time minus at least two minutes of intermissions. If those two minutes are really that big of a concern, take less time in the locker room after the game.

The players may not get tired playing an extra four minutes but I sure will if I have to officiate an extra four minutes, especially on days when I do not get my pre-lunch nap and my post lunch nap.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 10:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I would only favor the move to 18-minute halves if the officiating fees were to also increase by the same percentage (12.5%).
I'd be happy with an inflation increase every year.

As far as halves, if they go to 16 minute halves, I'd be fine. I just see this as yet another solution in search of a problem.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 10:06pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

The other argument that I don't like is the one about kids getting done even later on a school night. If we take away two 1-plus minute intermissions by going to halves, that's a net addition of a mere two minutes, an extra four minutes of playing time minus at least two minutes of intermissions. If those two minutes are really that big of a concern, take less time in the locker room after the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The players may not get tired playing an extra four minutes but I sure will if I have to officiate an extra four minutes, especially on days when I do not get my pre-lunch nap and my post lunch nap.
Not to mention getting in the bonus and double bonus more often, which further slows down the game and frustrates players and coaches.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Who knows? 18 minute halves are used here in Minnesota and have been since the 2005-06 season. Don't know about official pay though.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 11:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not to mention getting in the bonus and double bonus more often, which further slows down the game and frustrates players and coaches.
They can adjust just like they do at the college level. Not a big deal if you ask me.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Regarding FTs, one of the questions on the NCAAW rules survey this year concerns returning to 1+1 on the 7th foul with no double bonus.

Thoughts on this at the HS level?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 05:13pm.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Regarding FTs, one of the questions on the NCAAW rules survey this year concerns either returning to 1+1 on the 7th foul with no double bonus.

Thoughts on this at the HS level?
Awful idea for game flow. No reason to just keep pounding until the bench is empty. I like the idea of triple bonus after 13.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 08:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd be thrilled to go to halves.

Give each team 5 timeouts as now. 1 60, 4 30s. First stoppage after 8:00 (16 minute halves) or 9:00 (18 minute halves) in each half becomes an uncharged 60 second timeout.

Things wouldn't change much, but we'd eliminate 2 last second shots, which is the best reason to go to halves, as far as I'm concerned.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not sure she misspoke. In the NFHS survey this year, they had a question about 18 minutes halves. I was confused as to why it wasn't 16. I am not sure why they wouldn't go to 16 instead of 18, but hey, that's two places the NFHS has used the 18 minute half talk now.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 09:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
I am not sure she misspoke. In the NFHS survey this year, they had a question about 18 minutes halves. I was confused as to why it wasn't 16. I am not sure why they wouldn't go to 16 instead of 18, but hey, that's two places the NFHS has used the 18 minute half talk now.
Once again, Minnesota went to 18 minute halves originally as an NF experimental rule. Minnesota like the rule and kept it. This has been several years this half proposal has been suggested as a new rule. It is not a new thing and of course has not passed. I actually do not see it passing this year either for the reasons we have stated like pay and players being tired. I guess we will see.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Apr 24, 2014 at 09:35am.