The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I predict that the wearing of full-length tights will be made legal and incorporated into the leg-sleeve/arm-sleeve rule for restrictions on colors.

Additionally, I'd like to see the NFHS:
a. make the shot clock an acceptable state adoption.

b. The entirety of the team control/player control/backcourt violation rules need to be rewritten. They are still a mess from the TC foul change about three seasons ago.

c. Clarify that fighting during a live ball is a flagrant PERSONAL foul and that fighting during a dead ball is a flagrant TECHNICAL foul.

d. Reporting mechanic: permit two-handed reporting for fouls.
I would agree that NFHS' rule changes will probably address some type of uniform "issue." So with that, I agree with your assessment there.

I also pretty much agree with what you'd like to see as far as A, B, and D go. I'd even go so far as to say I'd prefer the walk-and-talk when reporting, but that would just be getting greedy.

*edit*

I'd also support making the team control punch the signal for all "offensive fouls" (team and player control) and getting rid of the stupid hand behind the head mechanic. I'd also support making the fist on the hips signal for a block the official mechanic. The only reason I want NFHS to address this is for states that decide they want to be anal about using the weaker signals suggested by NFHS

I addition, as far as mechanics go, I want more signals added...hit to the head, and actual tripping signal...forearm...defender bringing the arms down an impending on the verticality of a shooter (I believe NCAA-M added the signal this past year). I'd also add signals like the "juggling" signal to indicate you travel because of no possession. I'm sure I've left a few out, but more signals for situations like this I'd like to see mechanics wise.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

*Since I live in both mechanics worlds, let me say walk & talk on fouls is wonderful. However, I think to do that it would be helpful to standardize where the calling official goes after a foul, i.e. table side. Some states do, some don't. If you're going to walk towards the table to give the numbers then walk away you might get an uptick in "BUZZ...Ref, what number was that?" If you're table side they just ask you sans horn.

*Nevada, I think some states will push back on making the shot-clock an acceptable choice if only because they don't want it at all.

*I think they'll adopt the NCAA contact guidelines and it makes sense. The logic behind it at the college level was we'd let the Tower Philosophy run wild, which is true. I think the same thing is happening at the HS level. You're going to get lots of howling from coaches and officials if the change is made but I found by mid-season in my GV/NCAAW games the kids adjusted. Those who hadn't were on the bench. Also, the kids who go on the play college ball are going to see the guidelines at the next level. If HS basketball is about teaching, this would be a teachable moment.

*Not covering a three-point attempt in my corner when working three-person is one of the toughest adjustments for me in a BV game. It doesn't make sense to essentially ignore something taking place right next to me. As for who covers the post, the T has first crack. The C has second crack, but C always has second crack so that's no different.

*If only NYC had a seat belt rule...(sigh)
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 06:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Survey Says ...

Anybody remember this?

2014 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

Part I – Are These Changes Made Last Year Satisfactory

1. The use of electronic devices is permitted during the game.

2. A single visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is permitted on the team jersey, not to exceed 2 1/4 square inches with no dimension more than 2 1/4 inches. The manufacturer's logo may be located no more than 5
inches below the shoulder seam on the front of the jersey, or 2 inches from the neckline on the back of the jersey; or in either side insert.

3. Leg compression sleeve was added to this rule to make its use consistent with the rule for wearing an arm compression sleeve. As with the arm compression sleeve, the leg compression sleeve must be white, beige, black or a single solid school color; must be the same color for each team member; and have only a single manufacturer’s logo. Leg compression sleeves must be worn for medical reasons.

4. A team shall not use a megaphone or any electronic communication device at courtside, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players on the court.

5. A team shall not use electronic audio and /or video devices to review a decision of the contest officials.

6. The head coach may enter the court in the situation where a fight may break out – or has broken out – to prevent the situation from escalating.

Part II – Observations – Have You Seen In Your Area?

1. Contact on the high screen(s).

2. Hedging the dribbler – contact in the perimeter off screens/dribble drives.

3. Arm bar in the post by the defender.

4. Officials not starting their count initially on closely guarded situations.

5. Officials moving too fast once call is made.

6. Officials not using proper mechanics.

7. The overuse of many different types of leg compression sleeves.

8. The spin move called as travel.

Part III – About Rules For 2014-15 – Would You Favor?

1. Allowing participants to wear tights.

2. Allowing the use of the "punch" signal for player-control foul as well as team-control foul.

3. Changing the number of time-outs to 3-30s and 2-60s.

4. Allowing the 3-point line to be moved out by 2 inches.

5. Playing with the 3-foot restricted-area arc to assist with calling block/charge on a secondary defender.

6. Allowing the use of a shot clock as a state adoption option.

7. Allowing the use of 18-minute halves as a state adoption option.

8. Adding more signals to the “signal chart.”

9. Not using the "stop the clock signal" on violations.

10. Clarifying when the clock starts on a missed free throw that hasn't been touched and is rolling on the floor.

11. Eliminating the opportunity for the head coach to call time-out. It would have to come from a player on the playing court.

12. Eliminating the requirement for players or coaches to verify that compression sleeves are worn for medical reasons.

13. Allowing players to move into the lane on the release rather than wait for the ball to contact the ring.

14. Clarifying language on what announcers can announce during the contest.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

2014 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire...

Part III – About Rules For 2014-15 – Would You Favor? --

I'd favor these...

1. Allowing participants to wear tights.

2. Allowing the use of the "punch" signal for player-control foul as well as team-control foul.

3. Changing the number of time-outs to 3-30s and 2-60s.

7. Allowing the use of 18-minute halves as a state adoption option.

9. Not using the "stop the clock signal" on violations.

12. Eliminating the requirement for players or coaches to verify that compression sleeves are worn for medical reasons.

13. Allowing players to move into the lane on the release rather than wait for the ball to contact the ring.

14. Clarifying language on what announcers can announce during the contest.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 08:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Putting a warning in the book is just idiotic, IMO. I see officials advocating that now and I always ask them how that helps and where there's anything written that supports that kind of "written" warning. If you're going to take the time to put a warning in a book, just whack the coach and get it over with.
I actually think it would be counter-productive. Frankly it would just give fuel to the "Don't you have to warn me first" idiocy.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Another change that almost all of us (officials) would like to see but most likely won't is a return to time-out requests having to come from a player.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 08:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Honestly, the only change I really care about is fixing the TC cluster f$#! they created. That need is desperate, and if not done soon, the NFHS will eventually decide all those new BC plays we keep discussing are actually violations.

Seasoned veterans in my association are reading the TC rules and deciding as much: guys who won't listen to anyone tell them about some powerpoint from three years ago.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 10:19am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

5. Lol, that was more of a jab at the old-timers who refuse to officiate "inside-out" from C....whenever the ball nears their side they are bailing out to get to Trail. As always, go where you need to go to best officiate the play.

You wont ever be able to change this, unless you find a way to force those guys into retirement.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 10:24am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post

I hope my state never uses a shot clock in hs basketball. Problems with the shot clock not being set/reset and started properly by incompetent table crews would become the biggest pain in the ass.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Running or stepping out of bounds.

How many actually call stepping out of bounds by offense or defense as a violation? If the defense does it you give the ball back to the offense and go and it is a turn over if the offense steps out.

Can we say gains an advantage by stepping out of bounds and go back to calling a charge if the defender seals of the endline by putting a foot on the line?

How many get tired of warning players and coaches for stepping OOB?
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 10:46am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I hope my state never uses a shot clock in hs basketball. Problems with the shot clock not being set/reset and started properly by incompetent table crews would become the biggest pain in the ass.
Must have a state full of idiots...we've had shot clock for quite some time and there aren't any more issues in a HS game than in a higher level game. Not even thinking back to the first few years...just wasn't that big of a problem.

And going back to getting rid of the seatbelt on an indirect T...I would be OK with that if they also changed the rule to only one T on assistant coaches being an ejection.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 10:59am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Must have a state full of idiots...we've had shot clock for quite some time and there aren't any more issues in a HS game than in a higher level game. Not even thinking back to the first few years...just wasn't that big of a problem.

And going back to getting rid of the seatbelt on an indirect T...I would be OK with that if they also changed the rule to only one T on assistant coaches being an ejection.

The problem is some schools, especially in Chicago, don't want to pay teachers to sit at the table as it is to do the book and scoreboard. They have students with little or no training. A problem that would be exacerbated with the addition of a shot clock.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 11:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
The problem is some schools, especially in Chicago, don't want to pay teachers to sit at the table as it is to do the book and scoreboard. They have students with little or no training. A problem that would be exacerbated with the addition of a shot clock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
If you cannot get JUCO and other small colleges to get a person to run a shot clock properly, without constant corrections, I do not think they will find consistency with 800 or so schools. I never want to see the shot clock at high school either. Not unless you have someone that is trained more to do the job. Often it is a kid or someone that would rather text message to a friend in the stands. No thanks!!!!

Peace
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
How many get tired of warning players and coaches for stepping OOB?
Stop warning and just blow the whistle.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2014, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Let's add a mechanic for "tripping" and come up with a mechanic for "piling on the scrum" on a loose ball.