The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Jump Ball

A1 is the only one to tip the jump ball. The ball touches the playing court and A1 is the first one to obtain player control. Legal or Violation. If it is a violation, then what?
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
A1 is the only one to tip the jump ball. The ball touches the playing court and A1 is the first one to obtain player control. Legal or Violation. If it is a violation, then what?
6-3-8 tells us that the restriction of the jumper catching the ball / obtaining player control (6-3-7 c) ends when the ball touches the floor. Thus, in your scenario, A1 is legally allowed to catch the ball /obtain player control.

Last edited by Rob1968; Sun Apr 13, 2014 at 12:34pm.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 12:37pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
A1 is the only one to tip the jump ball.
How can you have a tie up with only one person?
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Reread the OP. It is a jump ball to start the game or OT.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 01:27pm
Back from the DL

Ah, I read "tip" as "tie up." Thanks.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 01:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

6-3-8: The jump ball and the restrictions in 6-3-7 end when the touched
ball contacts one of the eight nonjumpers, an official, the floor, a basket or
backboard. NOTE: During a jump ball, a jumper is not required to face his/her own basket, provided
he/she is in the proper half of the center restraining circle. The jumper is also not required
to jump and attempt to touch the tossed ball. However, if neither jumper touches the ball
it should be tossed again with both jumpers being ordered to jump and try to touch the
ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 13, 2014 at 01:50pm.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 03:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Is this an accent thing? My grandmother used to say "syrup" as "sip." Is this similar?
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
That would be spelled ti'p.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

The strange part after having the discussion with this referee. Showing him the rule and these posts. He still states that the OP is a violation.
They should know by now, NOT to question my rules knowledge.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The strange part after having the discussion with this referee. Showing him the rule and these posts. He still states that the OP is a violation.
Yep...met plenty of those. Just smile.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is he one of those people who says "controlled tap"? Ugh

I assume that you showed him these rule:
Rule 4, Sec 12
ART. 5

Team control does not exist during a jump ball or the touching of a rebound, but is re-established when a player secures control.

ART. 6

Neither team control nor player control exists during a dead ball, a jump ball or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

How about this Case Book play:
4.12 COMMENT:

A player is in control when the player is holding or *dribbling a live ball, but team control includes passing activity. When a team secures control, that team continues to be in control until the ball is in flight on a try or tap for goal, or an opponent has secured control or the ball has become dead. This has an influence on rules such as team-control fouls, three-seconds and frontcourt/backcourt. No team is in control while the ball is dead, during a jump ball, after the ball has left the hand on a try or tap for goal, nor during the period which follows any of these acts while the ball is slapped away from other players in an attempt to secure control.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Rule 4, Sec 12
ART. 5

Team control does not exist during a jump ball or the touching of a rebound, but is re-established when a player secures control.

ART. 6

Neither team control nor player control exists during a dead ball, a jump ball or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

4.12 COMMENT:

A player is in control when the player is holding or *dribbling a live ball, but team control includes passing activity. When a team secures control, that team continues to be in control until the ball is in flight on a try or tap for goal, or an opponent has secured control or the ball has become dead. This has an influence on rules such as team-control fouls, three-seconds and frontcourt/backcourt. No team is in control while the ball is dead, during a jump ball, after the ball has left the hand on a try or tap for goal, nor during the period which follows any of these acts while the ball is slapped away from other players in an attempt to secure control.
I did not go that far with him. He wasn't understanding 6-3-7 or 6-3-8.
As Camron stated.... I just smiled and walked away.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Rule 4, Sec 12
ART. 5

ART. 6

4.12 COMMENT:

What does this have to do with the play and question in hand? It would seem the pertinent rules needed are only those dealing with restrictions on the jump ball...and then when they end.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Apr 15, 2014, 03:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
What does this have to do with the play and question in hand? It would seem the pertinent rules needed are only those dealing with restrictions on the jump ball...and then when they end.
You are likely only considering that the official penalized the player for catching the jump ball.
I also considered that the official may have penalized him for either traveling or an illegal dribble. The rules above state that there is no player control while tapping a jump ball, so neither of those violations would be possible either.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2014, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

So if the jumper just grabs the toss instead of tipping to a teammate it is a violation. What happens to the arrow?