Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 12, 2014, 04:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Patrick Ewing Rule ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Understand and Know are 2 different things.
I deal with teenage kids, a few coaches that are pulled out of English class to coach basketball, teams working with a budget of a few thousand dollars, and the NFHS makes me enforce that undershirts must match the jersey, when in same cases, the uniforms are mismatched over a period of several years, and the team looks like a real motley crew, even with matched undershirts and jerseys.

The NBA has tightly enforced rules about almost everything, players making millions, team worth billions, uniforms that are about uniform as you can get, a thriving business in selling replica uniforms, and these guys get to mismatch undershirts and jerseys?

Go figure?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Apr 12, 2014, 04:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I deal with teenage kids, a few coaches that are pulled out of English class to coach basketball, teams working with a budget of a few thousand dollars, and the NFHS makes me enforce that undershirts must match the jersey, when in same cases, the uniforms are mismatched over a period of several years, and the team looks like a real motley crew, even with matched undershirts and jerseys.
Nothing requires they wear an undershirt. If they're going to buy one, they can buy one the right color.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2014, 05:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pocket Square Must Match The Tie ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Nothing requires they wear an undershirt. If they're going to buy one, they can buy one the right color.
So why don't they? Coach doesn't know the rule, or doesn't tell his players, or doesn't give a damn, and gambles that officials at his games don't bother to enforce the rule? Back when I was coaching middle school basketball, when we were passing out the uniforms, I told the players, "If you want to wear an undershirt, it has to be white for home games, or red for road games. No exceptions". Easy peasey, lemon squeezy. No issues for the rest of the season. None. Period. Or maybe it's the officials who work his games figure that enforcing undershirt rules aren't really "part of the game" and don't bother to enforce the rule?

I still can't figure out why an NBA player with a white jersey gets to wear a black undershirt. Doesn't the NBA control almost anything that involves dress, even down to what an injured player can wear for street clothes while sitting on the bench? So, what is the NBA rule regarding undershirts, if, indeed, there is such a rule?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 13, 2014 at 04:53am.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2014, 09:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
So, what is the NBA rule regarding undershirts, if, indeed, there is such a rule?
I think their rule requires that undershirts must match jewelry.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 05:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Undershirts ???

Quote:
I still can't figure out why an NBA player with a white jersey gets to wear a black undershirt. So, what is the NBA rule regarding undershirts, if, indeed, there is such a rule?
NBA Comments On The Rules: II-H-4: No T-shirts are allowed.

(Al Gore's internet never lies. Right?)

Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 06:23pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Does Maverick #34 have a white jersey with a black undershirt? Man, I really don't understand NBA rules.
Any deviation from standard uniforms must be pre-approved by the league office. For instance certain high-end Under Armour and other brand tshirts are only available in black.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 09:50pm
Back from the DL

Let's talk about the play in question. Very tough to tell if it was on it's way down, IMO, though it was right at the apex. Not quite conclusive enough to say goaltending for sure, and I don't blame the officials for ruling legal.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Let's talk about the play in question. Very tough to tell if it was on it's way down, IMO, though it was right at the apex. Not quite conclusive enough to say goaltending for sure, and I don't blame the officials for ruling legal.
I believe it was just past the apex....but it was very close....and I'm not 100% sure.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 06:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough Call ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I believe it was just past the apex....but it was very close....and I'm not 100% sure.
Agree. And, in real time, when we're not 100% sure, we don't call it.

Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I had the same feeling after watching it a few times. That's a very tough play to come out as a league and say the officials missed it.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)