The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not sure I've ever heard that interpretation before. If it is all in one effort/motion, I view it as continuous.
The argument is simple. If the ball wasn't in his left hand when he was fouled and that is the hand the player eventually shoots it with, then he couldn't have been in the act of shooting FOR THAT TRY at the time of the foul.
To put it in question form: how could he have already begun the try when the ball wasn't even in the hand that he used to shoot?

If an official is going to consider that continuous motion, then the player should be permitted to execute a crossover dribble between the foul and the try. What difference does it make if the ball bounces on the floor or not in the switch between one hand and the other?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The argument is simple. If the ball wasn't in his left hand when he was fouled and that is the hand the player eventually shoots it with, then he couldn't have been in the act of shooting FOR THAT TRY at the time of the foul.
To put it in question form: how could he have already begun the try when the ball wasn't even in the hand that he used to shoot?

If an official is going to consider that continuous motion, then the player should be permitted to execute a crossover dribble between the foul and the try. What difference does it make if the ball bounces on the floor or not in the switch between one hand and the other?
I've never seen anything that even remotely suggests what you're suggesting....that a try that starts in one hand can't be shifted to the other. The attempt to score begins when that start to go up with the ball and continues until they release the "try", lose the ball, or come down with it. Whatever specific movement they do with the ball after they start going up to score is of no consequence.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The taller white guy is not DeRosa. I will look at the replay to be sure, but I am pretty positive that was not DeRosa.

BTW, Doug Shows was an official I saw at a UConn at DePaul game last season. Shows T's up Ollie for being out of the coaching box. UConn won in kind of a blowout, but I never forgot him after that afternoon game I attended.

Peace
Shows tossed the ball. He is far more muscular than Derosa, plus Shows always palms the ball in one hand to show off . He's a pretty big dude.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not sure I've ever heard that interpretation before. If it is all in one effort/motion, I view it as continuous.
Just b/c you view it one way doesn't mean it's correct, or what's interpreted elsewhere is incorrect.

I know I saw Harrison go to through lane in the 2nd half, get bumped, then pass the ball off. And I know I saw the Crew Chief indicate a "pass off" and give Harrison bonus free throws instead of 2 shots.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Apr 08, 2014 at 09:44am.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:01am
Esteemed Participant

Any chance we can get video of the play Nevadaref is talking about?? I didn't see it, and am having a hard time picturing what is being discussed...did the player jump to shoot right handed, get hit, and then shift ball to left hand and shoot before landing?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Video Request

2nd half at 18:05

Attempted dunk by UConn player is blocked by UK player but continues to the rim. UConn player appears to still have ball in hand to continue the dunk, ball hits the rim, but dunk is not completed.

The crew goes to the monitor and resets the shot clock.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but was there a NCAA video bulletin last season about this play and to NOT reset the shot clock?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 10:46am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post

Attempted dunk by UConn player is blocked by UK player but continues to the rim. UConn player appears to still have ball in hand to continue the dunk, ball hits the rim, but dunk is not completed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but was there a NCAA video bulletin last season about this play and to NOT reset the shot clock?
Correct, if the ball does not leave the shooters hand, it is not considered a shot clock attempt and the shot clock should not be reset.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That wasn't DeRosa.

Peace
Doug Shows tossed (I believe he was actually U2)
Joe DeRosa was U1
Verne Harris started in U2 position (believe he was R and let Shows toss)
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Correct, if the ball does not leave the shooters hand, it is not considered a shot clock attempt and the shot clock should not be reset.
The NBA rule on shot clock resets is what the NCAA-M should go to.....ball hits rim (doesn't matter how/why) = reset. Currently in NCAA-M, clock reset ONLY when legal shot hits rim.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Thanks for re-affirming my memory.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:28pm
Often wrong never n doubt

intercept pass and land on opponent

What are the thoughts in the game last night when the UCONN player picked off a pass and landed on a pretty much stationary Kentucky player who was waiting to receive the pass? It was ruled a block. Did anyone else see that play and know about when it took place. I believe it was in the second half.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post

You're are correct about the interp, but in the play in question here, the ball did leave A1's hand and hit the rim.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

It was not only a good call, but a great call. As a matter of fact he came forward towards the UConn player (Boatright) and contacted the Kentucky player (Harrison) that was airborne. Replay showed that clearly and was a good foul by Shows. Harrison never gave Boatright a place to land and was not in a legal position when Boatright went airborne. Replay showed how good a call this was. It was hard to tell live and the angle of the camera.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Post a Video

C'mon Jeremy, show us what you got. You went from a ms video, to rehashing something from last year, to an NBA video in the past few weeks.....

Show us your skills !!!!!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:50pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
C'mon Jeremy, show us what you got. You went from a ms video, to rehashing something from last year, to an NBA video in the past few weeks.....

Show us your skills !!!!!
I can't post videos. I have been banned by the public due to my poor past performance.