The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Determine Pivot foot after ending dribble

Just like to make sure how pivot foot is established. Especially when a player is on the move & ends his dribble.

1.Player catches the ball with one foot (left) on the floor:
a.if the other foot touches the floor so both feet are on the floor, the left foot is the pivot.
b.if the other foot (right) touches the floor while the left foot is lifted, the right foot is the pivot.

2.Player catches the ball with both foot on the floor:
Either 1 of the feet can be chosen as pivot

3.Player catches the ball with no foot on the floor,
a.the 1st foot that touches the floor is the pivot,
b.both feet land at the same time player can choose 1 pivot foot.

I hope the above scenarios are correct.

But i have a 4th scenario:

4.Player catches the ball with 1 foot on the floor (left), stands on that foot, does a few pump fakes for few seconds, then steps on his other foot (right) while his left foot leaves the floor, this scenario is similar to 1 except the player stopped for a while before continuing with his 2nd step, so would the right foot be his pivot or his left?

Must the player catch the ball with 1 foot already on the ground to make the 2nd foot a pivot or the player can catch the ball with 1 foot touching the floor simultaneously?
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:04am
Courageous When Prudent

You're assuming everything you wrote in 1, 2, and 3 is correct.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
Just like to make sure how pivot foot is established. Especially when a player is on the move & ends his dribble.

1.Player catches the ball with one foot (left) on the floor:
a.if the other foot touches the floor so both feet are on the floor, the left foot is the pivot.
b.if the other foot (right) touches the floor while the left foot is lifted, the right foot is the pivot.

2.Player catches the ball with both foot on the floor:
Either 1 of the feet can be chosen as pivot

3.Player catches the ball with no foot on the floor, and then lands with both feet (not necessarily simultaneously)
a.the 1st foot that touches the floor is the pivot,
b.both feet land at the same time player can choose 1 pivot foot.

I hope the above scenarios are correct.

But i have a 4th scenario:

4.Player catches the ball with 1 foot on the floor (left), stands on that foot, does a few pump fakes for few seconds, then steps on his other foot (right) while his left foot leaves the floor, this scenario is similar to 1 except the player stopped for a while before continuing with his 2nd step, so would the right foot be his pivot or his left?

Must the player catch the ball with 1 foot already on the ground to make the 2nd foot a pivot or the player can catch the ball with 1 foot touching the floor simultaneously?
1. Whenever the second foot hits the floor, the first foot is the pivot. It doesn't matter whether the first foot is still on the floor.

2. Correct

3. Correct with my addition

4. Based on the correction in 1, which foot do you think is the pivot? Note that "stopping for a while" is of no consequence here -- as you've already asked and been told. And, how the F does a player catch the ball "with 1 foot touching the ground simultaneously?"

Just like with your previous posts on this subject, you are making it way harder than it is.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 09:54am.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:37am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
(What's the code for "strikethrough?")
The letter 's' in angle brackets, like so.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:54am
Courageous When Prudent

remove the spaces from below bob:

< s >some unwanted text< /s >
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
The letter 's' in angle brackets, like so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
remove the spaces from below bob:

< s >some unwanted text< /s >
Thanks. thought I had tried that but must have had a typo.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

i got abit confused with the jumpstop discussion.

So in the 4th case, a player can actually pick up his dribble with 1 foot on the floor, does a few pump fakes for few seconds, and do a jumpstop (with no pivot). Due to the fact no pivot foot can be achieved if the other foot doesn't touch the floor. But i have yet seen players do this, is there a video about this? Awkward but legal.

also if the player wanted to do a jumpstop by catching the ball with 1 foot on the floor & jumps off that foot, and lands on the same 1 foot, has the player established a pivot or we have to wait till his 2nd foot touches the ground based on your reply on no.1 where the 2nd foot needs to land in order to make the 1st foot pivot.

Quote:
1. Whenever the second foot hits the floor, the first foot is the pivot. It doesn't matter whether the first foot is still on the floor.

2. Correct

4. Based on the correction in 1, which foot do you think is the pivot? Note that "stopping for a while" is of no consequence here -- as you've already asked and been told. And, how the F does a player catch the ball "with 1 foot touching the ground simultaneously?"

Just like with your previous posts on this subject, you are making it way harder than it is.

Last edited by potato; Fri Oct 25, 2013 at 10:32am.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So in the 4th case, a player can actually pick up his dribble with 1 foot on the floor, does a few pump fakes for few seconds, and do a jumpstop (with no pivot). Due to the fact no pivot foot can be achieved if the other foot doesn't touch the floor. But i have yet seen players do this, is there a video about this? Awkward but legal.
Unless I'm missing something, this is exactly the same question you asked on another thread within the past couple of days.

And, no player would do this on purpose.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:51am
C'mon man!!

Quote:

2. Correct

Quote of the year for Bob.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:54am
C'mon man!!

Quote:

also if the player wanted to do a jumpstop by catching the ball with 1 foot on the floor & jumps off that foot, and lands on the same 1 foot, has the player established a pivot or we have to wait till his 2nd foot touches the ground based on your reply on no.1 where the 2nd foot needs to land in order to make the 1st foot pivot.
Again with a true jump stop, there is never a pivot foot established nor can their be. Yes you could catch the ball standing on one leg then jump off of the foot that is not a pivot foot, and land simultaneously without a violation but you cant pivot after that. You can then lift either or both feet but neither can return to the floor as this is a travelling violation.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Again with a true jump stop, there is never a pivot foot established nor can their be. .
That depends on what you mean by "true jump stop" -- remember jump stop is not defined in FED; it's defined in two ways in NCAA (one allowing a pivot; one not); and coaches (tend) to use the term differently than officials (tend) to use the term.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:02pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
That depends on what you mean by "true jump stop" -- remember jump stop is not defined in FED; it's defined in two ways in NCAA (one allowing a pivot; one not); and coaches (tend) to use the term differently than officials (tend) to use the term.
Valid point, I am referring to gather on one foot, jump off of that foot and land simultaneously on both feet in NFHS rule set.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 02:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Valid point, I am referring to gather on one foot, jump off of that foot and land simultaneously on both feet in NFHS rule set.
Bob's point is that it's not so narrowly defined in the book.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

If a player ends his dribble by catching the ball with 1 foot on his floor (left foot), and does a tiny hop on that foot & lands on the same foot instead of the other (never touched the floor after the end of dribble), would a pivot foot be determined? if he is allowed to, which foot is his pivot?
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If a player ends his dribble by catching the ball with 1 foot on his floor (left foot), and does a tiny hop on that foot & lands on the same foot instead of the other (never touched the floor after the end of dribble), would a pivot foot be determined? if he is allowed to, which foot is his pivot?
Travel.