The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 02:56am
C'mon man!!

ROP is not DOG

If Team A violates by not providing a thrower after a timeout twice, the first is a violation and the second is a Team technical foul. What if Team A then breaks the throwin plane boundary while Bis trying to make a throw in? Warning for DOG or Team tech for DOG?
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

The warning covers all 4(?) delays. Any further violation of any of the 4 is a T.

In NCAA, it's one warning for each of the 4.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 10:31pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The warning covers all 4(?) delays. Any further violation of any of the 4 is a T.

In NCAA, it's one warning for each of the 4.
Not making a free thrower available is not one of the four delays.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Resumption of play and Delay of game are two different things.

NFHS 8-1-2

Following a time-out or intermission, the resumption-of-play procedure may be used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. The ball shall be placed at the disposal of the thrower or placed on the floor and the count shall begin. Either or both teams may be charged with a violation. Following a violation by one or both teams, if the offending team(s) continues to delay, a technical foul shall be ruled.

NCAAW 4-31-1 & 2

Art. 1. Resumption of play is the method of putting the ball in play by placing the ball at the disposal of the player. The resumption of play is in effect for the entire game except to start the second half or any extra period.
Art. 2. When a team is not ready to resume play following the final horn to end a timeout, the officials shall issue one warning to the head coach and report the warning to the official scorer. When the same team subsequently is not prepared to play following the final horn to end a timeout, the officials shall use the resumption of play procedure.

I posted the NCAAW rule because that's the rule book I own

NHS 4-47-1 through 4 and NCAAW 4-10-1d-g cover what triggers the DoG warnings.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Sun Oct 13, 2013 at 10:47pm.
Old Sun Oct 13, 2013, 11:10pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Resumption of play and Delay of game are two different things.

NFHS 8-1-2

Following a time-out or intermission, the resumption-of-play procedure may be used to prevent delay. The administering official will sound the whistle to indicate play will resume. The ball shall be placed at the disposal of the thrower or placed on the floor and the count shall begin. Either or both teams may be charged with a violation. Following a violation by one or both teams, if the offending team(s) continues to delay, a technical foul shall be ruled.

NCAAW 4-31-1 & 2

Art. 1. Resumption of play is the method of putting the ball in play by placing the ball at the disposal of the player. The resumption of play is in effect for the entire game except to start the second half or any extra period.
Art. 2. When a team is not ready to resume play following the final horn to end a timeout, the officials shall issue one warning to the head coach and report the warning to the official scorer. When the same team subsequently is not prepared to play following the final horn to end a timeout, the officials shall use the resumption of play procedure.

I posted the NCAAW rule because that's the rule book I own

NHS 4-47-1 through 4 and NCAAW 4-10-1d-g cover what triggers the DoG warnings.
I guess that is my question: because they are different you can actually have two warnings before any cups of T are handed out. Even though a free thrower is not available twice, you could still have warning for DOG later in the game, or vice versa.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I was just addressing the second part of your question.

If there has not been a TO (or intermission), if the team fails to provide a free-thrower, it's an immediate T. (You will / should do everything you can to avoid the T.)

If there has been a TO (or intermission), then it's ROP -- put the ball on the floor. A must now request a TO, or it will be a violation. If they take the violation, and then still don't put the FT'er out there, it's a T.

No DOG warning in either case.

So, if later the team reaches through the plane, that becomes the first DOG warning.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 07:51am.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 01:21am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Sorry, I was just addressing the second part of your question.

If there has not been a TO (or intermission), if the team fails to provide a free-thrower, it's an immediate T. (You will / should do everything you can to avoid the T.)

If there has been a TO (or intermission), then it's ROP -- put the ball on the floor. A must now request a TO, or it will be a violation. If they take the violation, and then still don't put the FT'er out there, it's a T.

No DOG warning in either case.

So, if later the team reaches through the plane, that becomes the first DOG warning.
Perfect, that is what I wanted to know.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perfect, that is what I wanted to know.
The same is generally true if the defense doesn't provide two (or one if that's all they have) players for the lowest spaces.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your OP did not say free-thrower, it said thrower.

West Houston Mike