The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2013-2014 NFHS Basketball rule changes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94975-2013-2014-nfhs-basketball-rule-changes.html)

kda89508 Wed May 08, 2013 04:16pm

2013-2014 NFHS Basketball rule changes

NFHS | Basketball Rules Changes Address Allowance of Head Coaches on Court

Adam Wed May 08, 2013 04:23pm

So they still aren't going to fix the team control mess. :(

rekent Wed May 08, 2013 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 893332)
So they still aren't going to fix the team control mess. :(

But they can expand the fashion police state!! Which will probably not cut down on the use of sleeves like they want because it will be just like the arm ones now.

JRutledge Wed May 08, 2013 04:34pm

Forgive me, but what Team Control mess?

I hate the fact they now have added color restrictions to leggings or sleeves. Now that is going to harder to comply with as it will take players longer to correct that problem. Why should we care about what color for these items. Next thing we are going to say is the shoes and socks should match. :rolleyes:

Peace

rekent Wed May 08, 2013 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 893336)

I hate the fact they now have added color restrictions to leggings or sleeves. Now that is going to harder to comply with as it will take players longer to correct that problem. Why should we care about what color for these items. Next thing we are going to say is the shoes and socks should match. :rolleyes:

Peace

I'm guessing he meant TC while inbounding the ball, and the ambiguities they created there.

Other than color, in practice this won't change the use of the sleeves like they want, will it? "Coach, is your team property equipped?" "Yep." same as with the arm ones.

AremRed Wed May 08, 2013 04:40pm

I guess I will have to start packing a ruler to make sure the manufacturers logo is no bigger than 2-1/4 inches.

Or just wait until someone watching on tv phones in and lets me know they violated the uniform rules.

JRutledge Wed May 08, 2013 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 893338)
I'm guessing he meant TC while inbounding the ball, and the ambiguities they created there.

Other than color, in practice this won't change the use of the sleeves like they want, will it? "Coach, is your team property equipped?" "Yep." same as with the arm ones.

I would agree that maybe they could change some language, but I do not see that as a major problem. Then again this is like the horse-collar rule in football where the NF did not want to adopt the entire rule of the other levels to seem to stay independent. Then it took them 3 years to get the rule ultimately right.

And I did have to spend some time this year to get teams to have one of their players remove an arm-sleeve in order to comply. I know that if the rule was the same we would spend time trying to get players on the same page. Now I am hoping that the rule does not require all arm-sleeves and leg sleeves to be the same color. I think we would get more blowback for the leg sleeves and might expose some full length leggings in the process. At least and arm sleeve takes a second to remove.

Peace

BayStateRef Wed May 08, 2013 04:56pm

Finally made the iPad legal on the bench for coaching and stats. Just don't talk to players with it...and don't call me over and say, "Hey ref. Take a look at how badly you blew that call."

dsqrddgd909 Wed May 08, 2013 05:10pm

"In addition to these rules changes, the committee approved a new defensive tip signal that will be added to the Basketball Officials Manual. This signal will be given by the official when the ball enters the backcourt as a result of contact with the defensive player."

hmmmm

HokiePaul Thu May 09, 2013 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 893344)
"In addition to these rules changes, the committee approved a new defensive tip signal that will be added to the Basketball Officials Manual. This signal will be given by the official when the ball enters the backcourt as a result of contact with the defensive player."

Wish this were included for tipped shots as well. I've had a couple cases as the lead where an airball (shot from out of my area where I wasn't looking) has gone out of bounds and I have had to look for help from my partner to know whether it was a straight airball or a tipped shot. Or I point the other direction only to have my partner come tell me it was tipped and I change the call.

If I see my partner make a "tip ball" sign, I can make my OOB call without any doubt.

Rich Thu May 09, 2013 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 893365)
Wish this were included for tipped shots as well. I've had a couple cases as the lead where an airball (shot from out of my area where I wasn't looking) has gone out of bounds and I have had to look for help from my partner to know whether it was a straight airball or a tipped shot. Or I point the other direction only to have my partner come tell me it was tipped and I change the call.

If I see my partner make a "tip ball" sign, I can make my OOB call without any doubt.

If it wasn't tipped, I'm turning and walking the other way. If it was, I'm walking in your direction with a few quick steps.

If you look at me for help, I'm pointing the proper way (since I know if it was tipped or not).

Rob1968 Thu May 09, 2013 09:37am

I still wish they'd let us use 2 hands for players' numbers.

Adam Thu May 09, 2013 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 893365)

I hate the tip signal on shots. Yeah, it may save half a second on an OOB call, but it causes more headaches than it's worth. I have more plays where I call a foul while my partner is giving the tip signal (in my PCA) than OOB plays where I need help.

Adam Thu May 09, 2013 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 893336)

Peace

The fact that the team control rule does not say what they want it to mean, and when officials start reading the rule book, they're going to make rulings that were never intended by the change.

BillyMac Thu May 09, 2013 05:38pm

Fashion Police Detective's Exam ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 893340)
I am hoping that the rule does not require all arm-sleeves and leg sleeves to be the same color.

Do you think that the rule will allow for different colors like the headband/wristband/armband rule? Let's say that many players on Team A, all wearing red jerseys, are wearing white headbands. Several are wearing red wristbands, and several are wearing black arm compression sleeves (for medical reasons). Nobody's wearing any other colors. Everybody's legal? Right?