The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 02:37am
C'mon man!!

To be (dead) or not to be (dead) that is the question.

Had a P call a common foul right after a basket was made but before the ball was brought back into play. I don't think he realized that the ball went through the basket which I informed him of. Reading def 6-7 ART. 1

The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:

A goal, as in 5‐1 is made.

In this scenario, what should happen?

A. Count the bucket. Report the foul. Give ball to non offending team at spot closest to foul without ability to "run the endline". OR

B. Count the bucket, wave off the foul as it was a common foul and not intentional or flagrant during a dead ball, and give the ball to the non scoring team for a throw in anywhere along the endline as if after a made basket.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

The rules tell you that option B is correct.
Can't understand why someone would want to go against the rules and select option A.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Without a lengthy discussion, how do you know for sure that the foul occurred "right after" as opposed to "right before" the basket was made?

I'm probably trusting my partner and assuming that the foul occurred before the ball went through, even if the whistle was delayed slightly. If there is significant doubt, I guess I might run over real quick and say something like "ball went in; just wanted to make sure that you had the foul before the ball went through the basket", but if he goes to report the foul, I'm not arguing that it occurred after the ball went through (since I was not the calling official).
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
...but before the ball was brought back into play.
The ball becomes live again when it is as the disposal of the team that is making the throw-in. That is before (and sometimes well before) the ball is "brought back into play."
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
The ball becomes live again when it is as the disposal of the team that is making the throw-in. That is before (and sometimes well before) the ball is "brought back into play."
Unless by "into play," he meant "at the disposal." I agree, though, the phrasing is a bit vague and begs for a more clear description of the timing. Also, as HokiePaul alluded to, it would have to be pretty clear that the ball was dead.

It may well have been clear, there are plenty of fouls that both officials see.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Commutative Property ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
The ball becomes live again when it is as the disposal of the team that is making the throw-in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Unless by "into play," he meant "at the disposal." I agree, though, the phrasing is a bit vague and begs for a more clear description of the timing.
If the new trail is counting five seconds, then the ball is at the disposal. It's one of those "looping arguments" that some of here on the Forum like to use occasionally. Counting equals disposal, and disposal equals counting. How do you know that the ball is at the disposal? Because you're counting. How do you know when to start counting? When the ball is at the disposal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 01, 2013 at 03:06pm.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 10:20pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Without a lengthy discussion, how do you know for sure that the foul occurred "right after" as opposed to "right before" the basket was made?

I'm probably trusting my partner and assuming that the foul occurred before the ball went through, even if the whistle was delayed slightly. If there is significant doubt, I guess I might run over real quick and say something like "ball went in; just wanted to make sure that you had the foul before the ball went through the basket", but if he goes to report the foul, I'm not arguing that it occurred after the ball went through (since I was not the calling official).
In this scenario my partner said that it was after the ball went through. And yes, I meant before the ball was at the disposal of the thrower. Ball passes through net, foul, ball hits the ground, whistle, ball then at disposal of the thrower.

i guess my real overall question is that my P said that the ball can't be dead after a made basket because the clock is still running. I disagreed.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 10:42pm
beware big brother

Quote:

i guess my real overall question is that my P said that the ball can't be dead after a made basket because the clock is still running. I disagreed.

This is funny, you might want to introduce your partner to a rule book or ask him if he is unable to read.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In this scenario my partner said that it was after the ball went through. And yes, I meant before the ball was at the disposal of the thrower. Ball passes through net, foul, ball hits the ground, whistle, ball then at disposal of the thrower.

Does he also believe that the ball can't be live when the clock is stopped?
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 12:02am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Does he also believe that the ball can't be live when the clock is stopped?
I wouldn't be surprised. He was also telling me that you can't have a charge when the defender is under the basket (HS rules) and that it should be a no call.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 07:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Not a matter of disagreeing. Your partner is wrong by rule.
Old Wed May 08, 2013, 07:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised. He was also telling me that you can't have a charge when the defender is under the basket (HS rules) and that it should be a no call.
This is why I have a very limited circle of officials with whom I discuss officiating. This is a guy I would not be having a conversation with. I would simply tell him he is wrong by rule and hope I never work more than a Rec League game with him. Guys like this can only sustain a conversation if the person they are talking to is weak on rule book knowledge themself.
Old Sun May 12, 2013, 01:54am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This is why I have a very limited circle of officials with whom I discuss officiating. This is a guy I would not be having a conversation with. I would simply tell him he is wrong by rule and hope I never work more than a Rec League game with him. Guys like this can only sustain a conversation if the person they are talking to is weak on rule book knowledge themself.
It is really frustrating though when you are trying to move up, thus try and initiate conversation to hopefully show these "Varsity, expert officials" that you know what you are doing and know how to officiate and then realize they have no idea what the H-E double hockey sticks they are talking about.