The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

When using NFHS mechanics reporting a foul, I give color, number, type of foul, and then I point say the color of the team who has the OOB throw-in, and I point the direction they are going.

I've noticed in many college games, they just say, "out," and point to the spot of the throw in, which may be completely opposite from where the throw-in team is going.

Is there a difference in mechanics between NFHS and NCAA here, or am I just doing it wrong?

Also in college...let's say team A shoots the ball a few times, there is alot of contact, but there is no call, and B comes out of a scrum with possession. At this point I've seen the lead point down the court. Is this a proper mechanic, or is the lead just "helping" his partners recognize the change of possession and aiding them in beating the fast break down to the other end?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
When the lead points in your example, he is letting the shot clock operator know that he has deemed possession to be gained by the defense, and that the new clock should be started.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Hope this answers your questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
When using NFHS mechanics reporting a foul, I give color, number, type of foul, and then I point say the color of the team who has the OOB throw-in, and I point the direction they are going.

I've noticed in many college games, they just say, "out," and point to the spot of the throw in, which may be completely opposite from where the throw-in team is going.

Is there a difference in mechanics between NFHS and NCAA here, or am I just doing it wrong?

When all of your reporting is done, you should be pointing to the spot where the ball will be put in or telling everyone if you have a bonus or shooting situation. You should not be pointing in the direction in which you are going. That is improper.

Quote:

Also in college...let's say team A shoots the ball a few times, there is alot of contact, but there is no call, and B comes out of a scrum with possession. At this point I've seen the lead point down the court. Is this a proper mechanic, or is the lead just "helping" his partners recognize the change of possession and aiding them in beating the fast break down to the other end?
Not aware of what you are talking about. Never seen that or recognized any kind of mechanic like this. But I am sure someone here has.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I have seen Jim Burr and some others use this, and after asking some other D1 guys, that is indeed why they point, is to let the shot clock operator know when to give the fresh click on the possession transfer.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hope this answers your questions.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

When all of your reporting is done, you should be pointing to the spot where the ball will be put in or telling everyone if you have a bonus or shooting situation. You should not be pointing in the direction in which you are going. That is improper.

Why is this improper??? It not is good non-verbal communication between crew mates to ensure the correct team is getting possession. This mechanic is taught to be used in our state.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Not aware of what you are talking about. Never seen that or recognized any kind of mechanic like this. But I am sure someone here has.

Peace [/B]
Tells the SC operator that a new possesion has been obtained. (suplimentary college or (game w/ SC)signal)