The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

I'm L...call foul, report it, go to T for inbounds pass and notice that clock is still running. Before I tell you what I did, what would you do?
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Ah....tell the timer to stop the clock?

Sorry MP. I couldn't resist.

After we finally get it stopped, I would ask my partner(s) if they knew how much time was on the clock. You can only replace what you have definite knowledge of.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

First stop the clock. I'd say you knew to put back some (at least 3-5 seconds.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 12:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

NO NO NO!!! You never tell the timer to stop the clock when they've left it running. It's the other way around. You yell at them when they forget to start it. Then, my rule is you automatically take time off the clock equal to half the time remaining in the quarter.

Works for me.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

AFTER stopping the clock, I told the timer to put 10 seconds back on the clock. She looked at me as if there was nothing wrong, in fact shrugging her shoulders, which struck me as fairly ridiculous. Then she says, OK, I'll count to 10 before starting the clock again. I look at her quizically for a second before saying "you'll what? Please put 10 seconds back on the clock now." Couldn't believe my ears.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Not all timers will know how to put 10 seconds back on the clock. Depends on who they got to sit there today. Some are great, others were given 10 seconds of instruction on how to operate the clock and when to stop/start it. They are still trying to figure out how to take the 2 points off the scoreboard that they erroneously gave to B 2 minutes ago, and that's why the clock didn't stop.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Hawks Coach,

You are so Right!!!! Ha, Ha, Ha

Mark,
I don't understand your calculation.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpeterson_1
AFTER stopping the clock, I told the timer to put 10 seconds back on the clock.
Did you have "definite knowledge" that it was 10 seconds? If not you put nothing back. If the game was taped you have left yourself open for a protest. Yes, I know that the NF does not recognize protest but your state governing body may in that it will call you to task. Your association/board surly will have questions.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up In defense of timers –

I’d like to rise to the defense of the lowly timer. Due to problems with “in house” timers in past years, my association offers the use of officials as timers at the varsity level. (A nice way of making $25 a game.) Last night was my tern. I was assigned a JV game to ref and then had two Varsity level games to time. Both schools are in the largest size class in the state. The home gym had fairly new equipment.

This is what I faced. The start/stop remote was lost so I had to use the console. Console had +1, 2, and 3-point buttons for home and guest. For the home team the +2 button gave +1 most of the time. For the visitors +3 did not work at all. Quickly I learned to use +1 at all times. To sound the horn I had to press my thumb down so hard that I feared I break the thumb. Forget the 30 or 60 second timer. I’ve learned to wear my Chronograph on game day. All the buttons felt the same so I had to take my eyes off of the court to locate the correct button at times. These types of situations/problems are not unique to this gym.

Doing the clock one gets to appreciate proper mechanics. One thing it has taught us is that if you can see the timer he/she can see you. The chop is very important for the timer to see. Even one who is an official. The one thing I have a problem with is the chirp whistle. While we are all taught that the loud crisp chirp is the proper way to blow, it is very hard to hear with several hundred screaming fans shouting their lungs out.

Now add the problem of having a timer that is interested in the game itself...
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

RecRef: Just out of curosity, are you in VA, and if so, are you a member of Cardinal?
Old Sat Jan 18, 2003, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
RecRef: Just out of curosity, are you in VA, and if so, are you a member of Cardinal?
My cover story is blown.

Page 18 of the directory. Do a find on the latest version Ed sent for “9779” and you got me. If you like, E-mail me, maybe we can work a game together or introduce ourselves at the next meeting.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
My cover story is blown.

Page 18 of the directory. Do a find on the latest version Ed sent for “9779” and you got me. If you like, E-mail me, maybe we can work a game together or introduce ourselves at the next meeting.
Well, if I am reading page 18 correctly, you and I are on the same page. Tried to email you, but your profile won't allow email from this board and I don't see "9779". I know Ed sent out a couple of directories, but I'm not sure the one I have is the latest. My email is: [email protected]. Haven't made any meetings and only worked 1 game all year -- working in California 3 weeks out of every month. Last trip coming up 27 Jan for 3 weeks and the season will basically be over when I return.