The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

I am a first year as I have mentioned in other posts, all but 8 games total under my belt at any level. So things are slowly but surely getting better as every quarter and every minute passes. I am really excited and love the opportunities, like more than I ever thought I would. Anyway, tonight I did a JV girls public(Makes a diff here in Miami versus private)and my partner was a 3 yr official. At the half he was amazed at my first half of work, he kept asking me if I was kidding him about the 8 game thing. I honestly felt, no disrespect to him, that I was the better official out there tonight. I found myself calling things somewhat out of my primary, calls I felt were obvious and needed to reward the visiting team that was always down but scrapping. What do you all think about that.

Also 2 calls I had questions about:

1. On an inbounds for the home team, A1 passes to A2 while A2 attempts to go out of bounds from the other side to inbound to a teammate(The set inbound play if you will).
This is a girls' jv for god's sake I am thinking to myself, I get caught offguard and call violation. Home team coach is perplexed and I signal violation A2 was partially inbounds on the catch therefore inbounds on pass from A1 and out of bounds. I made this up on the fly and was not 100% although I felt it was the right one.

2. Visiting team inbounds on the floor I am the lead and halfway to A1 walking upcourt to pick it up, my partner calls 5 sec. I am like what? Visiting coach is calling me asking why did he call 5, I ignore him, he calls me again and I say,"The call was down there coach-missed it". I knew my partner made the wrong call. On dead ball I play dumb and ask him about it, he explains that the ball has to be touched in 5 sec., I think to myself" Cannot be" and say oh ok cool.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

You're right on #2. (Technically should be an IW - no control --> AP arrow)

#1, I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. Was this after a made/awarded goal so that A could run the baseline? Was A2 inbounds or out of bounds? Could you clarify this play?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 01:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieLopez

1. On an inbounds for the home team, A1 passes to A2 while A2 attempts to go out of bounds from the other side to inbound to a teammate(The set inbound play if you will).
This is a girls' jv for god's sake I am thinking to myself, I get caught offguard and call violation. Home team coach is perplexed and I signal violation A2 was partially inbounds on the catch therefore inbounds on pass from A1 and out of bounds. I made this up on the fly and was not 100% although I felt it was the right one.
I assume you mean this inbound came after a made or awarded score, so two (or more) players are allowed to be OOB on the endline for the throwin. If A2 was touching only OOB when she touched the ball, she was legal. If not, then not. You'll just have to learn to be 100% on your calls. Remember the old saying, "if it might have been a travel, it wasn't". This goes for all violations.

Quote:
2. Visiting team inbounds on the floor I am the lead and halfway to A1 walking upcourt to pick it up, my partner calls 5 sec. I am like what? Visiting coach is calling me asking why did he call 5, I ignore him, he calls me again and I say,"The call was down there coach-missed it". I knew my partner made the wrong call. On dead ball I play dumb and ask him about it, he explains that the ball has to be touched in 5 sec., I think to myself" Cannot be" and say oh ok cool. What do you all think?
I think you have a partner who doesn't know one of the simplist rules in the book. Was he calling it this way all night long? If so, he is a giblet-head.

BTW - what does "ean xperienced" mean?

Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Talking

This "giblet-head" label seems to be all the rage...

I love it!

How did it originate?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
I am a first year as I have mentioned in other posts, all but 8 games total under my belt at any level. So things are slowly but surely getting better as every quarter and every minute passes. I am really excited and love the opportunities, like more than I ever thought I would. Anyway, tonight I did a JV girls public(Makes a diff here in Miami versus private)and my partner was a 3 yr official. At the half he was amazed at my first half of work, he kept asking me if I was kidding him about the 8 game thing. I honestly felt, no disrespect to him, that I was the better official out there tonight. I found myself calling things somewhat out of my primary, calls I felt were obvious and needed to reward the visiting team that was always down but scrapping. What do you all think about that.

2. Visiting team inbounds on the floor I am the lead and halfway to A1 walking upcourt to pick it up, my partner calls 5 sec. I am like what? Visiting coach is calling me asking why did he call 5, I ignore him, he calls me again and I say,"The call was down there coach-missed it". I knew my partner made the wrong call. On dead ball I play dumb and ask him about it, he explains that the ball has to be touched in 5 sec., I think to myself" Cannot be" and say oh ok cool.

What do you all think?

Thanks

I have a couple of things for you. First of all welcome and congrats on your previous eight games. To answer your first question, we have no idea if you needed to make the calls you did. We would actually have to have seen the game. But if you think you needed to make them and did...good for you!

Secondly, if I am working with an experienced official and the coach wants to know what call my partner just made, I usually say, ask them. Now some people say that I am selling out my partner, but I talk about this in pregame. If a coach wants to know what I just called, I would rather explain it to them then have my partner guess. Also, don't do that with a less seasoned official.

Since you are a new official you can play dumb after the game and ask your partner more about that play and to show you what he is talking about. Also to get ahead, this is the best advice I have ever recieved:

1. Watch more games than you officiate.

2. Practice your mechanics constantly (in a mirror if you can)

3. Get yourself on tape and have someone experienced help you break it down.

4. Don't ever forget your love for the game.

My two sense!
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I am a first year as I have mentioned in other posts, all but 8 games total under my belt at any level. So things are slowly but surely getting better as every quarter and every minute passes. I am really excited and love the opportunities, like more than I ever thought I would.
Amazing, isn't it?
Quote:
...I and needed to reward the visiting team that was always down but scrapping. What do you all think about that.
Tread carefully here. It is human nature to do this but it's not in your job description. Your job is to impartially ensure a fair contest. That said...there are times when you do need to reach outside of your primary for a call, especially when working with other new guys. Do it because the call needs to be made, not to reward a down but scrapping team.
Quote:

This is a girls' jv for god's sake I am thinking to myself, ...
You'll be surprised at the things you'll see in girls jv games! But be careful with this type of thinking, without realizing it this can be reflected in your face...rolling eyes...grimacing...slight smirk & shake of the head...not good.
Quote:

What do you all think?
If you know your partner misapplied a rule then fix it. Period. Huddle with him, discuss the sitch & the rule, if he's wrong he has to fix it (inadvertent whistle in this case).
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This WAS the rule some time back -- I believe it changed in the mid 80's. My guess is your partner was calling rules that he remembered from when he played.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ron
You have to be very careful about making calls out of your primary area.

Sometimes, you'll feel like your partner isn't having a good night. You may feel obligated to help him/her out whenever possible. But, your primary area is large enough (I assume you're dealing with 2 man mechanics) that it can be difficult to track everything that you SHOULD be watching, let alone an area for which you aren't primarily responsible.

Think about the calls you made last night which were out of your primary. For each of those calls, think about whether you really had any business watching the play closely enough to make a call. If so, then fine. If not, then perhaps those plays were seen, and passed on, by your partner for a valid reason. One suggestion: don't call a foul or violation out of your primary unless you're 100% sure that the foul or violation occurred, and you're 100% sure that your partner was unable to see the play.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 04:12pm
9 times

Quote:
I found myself calling things somewhat out of my primary, calls I felt were obvious and needed to reward the visiting team that was always down but scrapping. What do you all think about that.

What do you all think?

Thanks

I can tell you that if you had done this with me, we would have a long (and pointed) talk at halftime or after the game. Young officials (especially) need to learn to call their own area. If you are watching out of your primary, who is watching in your primary? I am a big boy and I can handle what is going on in my area. I expect my partner to do the same. If something happens and it isn't called, the responsible official will have to answer for it. Too often, the official who "reaches" is wrong. They don't usually get a good look at the play because they are reaching to get it. Trust your partner!

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019