The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Rules support?

I've looked(sort of) and can't find. This was told to me by a dad of a player of B team who is a new ref.
Coach A calls a thirty, official reports. Team A sits down, Team B also sits. Scorer(Cheseagle, where are you?) decides to change from 30 to full as teams are sitting. Coach A now pizzed because he called a thirty and starts on table and official(best defense is a good offense)

Do you warn team to get off their butts and if they don't give a DOG warning or more severe?

Obviously bad game management not to catch. Boys varsity 3 man.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 01:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I've looked(sort of) and can't find. This was told to me by a dad of a player of B team who is a new ref.
Coach A calls a thirty, official reports. Team A sits down, Team B also sits. Scorer(Cheseagle, where are you?) decides to change from 30 to full as teams are sitting. Coach A now pizzed because he called a thirty and starts on table and official(best defense is a good offense)

Do you warn team to get off their butts and if they don't give a DOG warning or more severe?

Gee, I just asked Nevada the same question in another thread. And I'm still waiting for the answer.

Players are prohibited from sitting during a 30-second TO as per rule 5-12-5. But there is no penalty listed in either the rule or case book that I know of. And this isn't listed in the rule book as one of the DOG warnings either.

So what to do, what to do....

I'm waiting for Nevada to tell me.........if he's consistent, he'll tell us that it should be a "T", same as he thinks should be called for a violation of rule 2-7-4.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Dec 06, 2010 at 01:57pm.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Ha! I was actually tentative asking as I thought it was pretty black and white and didn't want to get a new one ripped the size of Grand Canyon.

I'm going to go with DOG warning, just guessing.

Dead ball=dead officials in this case.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 02:06pm
In Memoriam

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...s-archive.html

PS.. Don't tell Nevada...but if you click on the link, look at SITUATION #11 in the 2001-2002 Interps on p. 3
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ha! I was actually tentative asking as I thought it was pretty black and white and didn't want to get a new one ripped the size of Grand Canyon.

This does not fit one of the four criteria for a delay of game warning.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Keep it a 30 and get the team to stand. If they refuse, keep "pestering" them so they can't talk until the TO is over.

Or, you could issue an unsporting T for failing to follow the official's insructions. <--- last resort
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Keep it a 30 and get the team to stand. If they refuse, keep "pestering" them so they can't talk until the TO is over.

Or, you could issue an unsporting T for failing to follow the official's insructions. <--- last resort
So: warn, warn again, WARN!, then WHACK! (or the TO is over).
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 02:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
So: warn, warn again, WARN!, then WHACK! (or the TO is over).
That's basically what the FED interp said....warn'n'whack. And as Bob said, the "whack" job is the last resort.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Technically the scorer has to mark down that the 30 TO is used & once it is reported in the book it cannot be changed, unless told to do so otherwise by the calling official. Of course if Team A has no more 30s available, then it must be changed to a 60, if one is available.

Quote:

I looked through both the 2009-2010 & 2010-2011 Rules books & cannot find any reference to what should be done in this situation.

If you were to get ripped one the size of the Grand Canyon, you'd be in a whole lot of pain.

Quote:

Last edited by chseagle; Mon Dec 06, 2010 at 03:08pm.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 03:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Technically the scorer has to mark down that the 30 TO is used & once it is reported in the book it cannot be changed, unless told to do so otherwise by the calling official.

I looked through both the 2009-2010 & 2010-2011 Rules books & cannot find any reference to what should be done in this situation.

If you were to get ripped one the size of the Grand Canyon, you'd be in a whole lot of pain.
Well, it's a good thing jurassic posted a link to the interps further back. Gosh, if only he'd do it in this thread.
What? Really? Whodathunkit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...s-archive.html

PS.. Don't tell Nevada...but if you click on the link, look at SITUATION #11 in the 2001-2002 Interps on p. 3
Maybe he shouldn't have whispered it.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Situation 11 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
SITUATION #11 in the 2001-2002 Interps.
SITUATION 11: Each team and the official scorer have been notified that Team A has called a 30-second timeout. Team A decides to sit down on its bench. RULING: Incorrect procedure. The official should first inform the coach that his/her team is to remain standing during a 30-second timeout. If the coach refuses to adhere to the officials’ request, an unsporting technical shall be assessed. (5-12-5)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 06:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Is This The Correct Citation For The Penalty ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
SITUATION 11: Each team and the official scorer have been notified that Team A has called a 30-second timeout. Team A decides to sit down on its bench. RULING: Incorrect procedure. The official should first inform the coach that his/her team is to remain standing during a 30-second timeout. If the coach refuses to adhere to the officials’ request, an unsporting technical shall be assessed. (5-12-5)
10-4-1: BENCH TECHNICAL:The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as: blah, blah, blah ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)