The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Tim Higgins?

I didn't see Tim Higgins on Thursday or Friday. Did I miss him? Or is he not working the tournament this year? I guess it could be the end of an era. I think he worked 12 Final Fours which is pretty amazing!
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

I think you're right.

Other notable absences:
Steve Welmer (no surprise)
Brian O'Connell (worked the Big East Championship final)
Steve Olson
Rick Hartzell
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

He worked a first round NIT game in Kingston, RI (URI vs Northwestern) on Wednesday night. Thought it would just be a warm-up for him before he drove up the road 31 miles from the Ryan Center to Providence for Thursday/ Saturday first and second round NCAA games.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Higgins was a good official for a long time but he simply can't get up and down the floor like he once did.

I see a lot of new faces in stripes, which seems to be the trend.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 01:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I see a lot of new faces in stripes, which seems to be the trend.
I think that is great. There are a lot of good officials out there.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 02:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

John Adams likes newer and up and coming officials. He also does not like guys who cannot keep up anymore. And that is probably why if you look at other big time names, they are also not on the list as well. Or if they make the tournament, they are not going as far as they did under Adams as they did with Hank Nichols.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

I think there was some question if Rick Hartzell got all of his paperwork done before the deadline to be able to work the NCAA Tournament.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

I agree...nothing wrong with getting some new faces in there and I think that the officiating this past weekend was generally top-notch.

I guess I'm just a sentimental kind of guy. I went to Syracuse and always knew we were going to get a well officiated game when Higgins was in the dome. But, like I said...It appears to be the end of an era.

That being said, I haven't noticed Higgins having that much trouble keeping up and I give him credit, he has kept his schedule at a reasonable amount for his age unlike some of his contemporaries.

I do like seeing some of the younger faces so far and I hope it continues but my guess is that you'll see the normal crew at the Final Four though (Cahill, Corbett, Greene, etc.) with one or two new faces.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jake View Post
No way to do the vet. He sould have got to work the first week. There were some who called the first weekend that could not officiate a WWF event. They were killing and letting it go. Hope Tim still calls, he gets most of the big games in the Big East and big 10. Welmer made them mad last year and does not care if he gets to work the NCAA but he will still do 80 regular season games.
He does not get most of the Big games in the Big Ten anymore (not that I ever remember him getting them all anyway). That has not happen for some time. Guys like Hillary, Welmer, Hightower and Burr would usually be on those games. I cannot speak for the Big East, I am not in that region.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 11:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No way to do the vet. He sould have got to work the first week. There were some who called the first weekend that could not officiate a WWF event. They were killing and letting it go.
go away
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
No way to do the vet. He sould have got to work the first week. There were some who called the first weekend that could not officiate a WWF event. They were killing and letting it go. Hope Tim still calls, he gets most of the big games in the Big East and big 10. Welmer made them mad last year and does not care if he gets to work the NCAA but he will still do 80 regular season games.
I didn't realize that being a "vet" got you an automatic bid into the tournament.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 09:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
He still does a good job, I hope you never get in his position. Just a couple of years ago he was calling the finals! He has not fell that much and his judgement is still great!
I don't understand why people get picked year after year when there are so many good D-I officials out there. Anything to get new faces opportunities is a good change, as far as I'm concerned.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
He still does a good job, I hope you never get in his position. Just a couple of years ago he was calling the finals! He has not fell that much and his judgement is still great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I don't understand why people get picked year after year when there are so many good D-I officials out there. Anything to get new faces opportunities is a good change, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm with you Rich. Instead of looking at it as a negative towards Higgins, I look at it a positive for the other very good officials who are now getting an opportunity to shine.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm with you Rich. Instead of looking at it as a negative towards Higgins, I look at it a positive for the other very good officials who are now getting an opportunity to shine.
Now if only certain state HS associations would get that message.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I would totally disagree with you on this...if the best officials each year are the same officials then they should be assigned to work the NCAA tournament and any HS State Tournament. The assigning for the NCAA tourney is a very complicated process hoping to put the "best" officials to work in the Tournament. If you are good enough to work you will get your shot to work at all levels...IMO!