The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Bulls-Nuggets (o.3 seconds)

Last night, the Bulls are down 1 point and they call a timeout with 0.3 seconds left. In my mind, I'm thinking they can only tap the ball because you need 0.4 seconds to catch and shoot. Is this not an NBA rule? I know the NCAA rulebook specifies 0.4 to catch and shoot.

Anyway, the Bulls inbound the ball and a player catches it and makes the shot. The officials look at the replays for 4-5 minutes at least and determine the shot was not good.

Help.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 12:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think they have to look at all shots that go in at the end of the game. They might have been looking to make sure it was a catch and shoot. If they did not look at this play, they might have gotten hammered from all sides. Remember they have replay, we do not. Different set of standards, even though the rule that we have was created by the NBA on some level. (Trent Tucker with the Knicks against the Bulls I believe)

Peace
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 01:21pm
In Time Out

.3 for NBA and they clarified so you can't be turning. Basically catch a pass while facing the basket or an alley oop. Miller did a slight turn so no basket.
Tucker got that off in .1 second.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
.3 for NBA and they clarified so you can't be turning. Basically catch a pass while facing the basket or an alley oop. Miller did a slight turn so no basket.
Tucker got that off in .1 second.
You're correct that its .3 in the pro game but there is no such clarification about a l "turn". If he gets it off in .3 then he got it off. If not then no basket.

If there is .2 or less you don't go to replay. The refs just have to decide if the off. Player controlled or tapped the ball. If he taps it then the basket is good, if he controls it then no basket.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 01:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here's the link. If you stop the video, you can see the clock at 0.00 (the red border light is on the clock) and the ball almost, but not quite, out of his hand.

Oh yeah, try taking your attention away from the host.

Yahoo! Sports Minute
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 03:36pm
In Time Out

on the turning part I heard it was a new thing for this year. Don't know if that is true or not.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Initially officials signalled a made goal. The determination I believe is the same as the NFL, that irrefutable evidence is needed to overturn the call. That said, it took them over nine minutes to make a decision which far exceeds normal review time. If it took them that long, I'm surprised they didn't rule based on lack of irrefutable evidence.

It was however, the right call.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Correct Call

NBA: Ref got it right in Denver win

NBA spokesman said the referee got the call right in the Denver Nuggets' win over the Chicago Bulls - ESPN Chicago
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Question:

So in NFHS, is there any kind of guideline like the NBA's "less than 0.2 must be a tip"?

If not, does anyone have any kind of tips or general rule they follow? Perhaps, something I can discuss with my partner(s) if we have a last second shot situation during a game.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

From the artice:

"Reading from the NBA rulebook, NBA spokesman Tim Frank said: The only type of field goal which may be scored if the game clock is at .2 or .1 is a tip-in or high lob. The game clock must show 0.3 or more in order for a player to secure possession of the ball on a rebound or a throw-in to attempt a field goal."
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
Question:

So in NFHS, is there any kind of guideline like the NBA's "less than 0.2 must be a tip"?

If not, does anyone have any kind of tips or general rule they follow? Perhaps, something I can discuss with my partner(s) if we have a last second shot situation during a game.
Its spelled out in the rule book. 5-2-5 "When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation only a tap could score. Note: this rule does not apply if the clock does not display tenths of a second."

You can also check out specific plays in the case book. 5.2.3 situations A,B,& C.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
Its spelled out in the rule book. 5-2-5 "When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation only a tap could score. Note: this rule does not apply if the clock does not display tenths of a second."

You can also check out specific plays in the case book. 5.2.3 situations A,B,& C.
This is an old rule. U can now secure poss. With .3 and take a shot.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Not sure where you are coming from. The rule and references were taken from the NFHS 2009-10 rules and case book.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 06:11pm
Official Fiveum Member

Question

Quote:
Really? Rules and/or case reference please.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2009, 06:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I wasn't aware that you did high school ball.