The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 11:49pm

Throw in question

Concerning the 3 foot area in which a player can move when he's throwing the ball in. Does anyone know if it has ever been a rule that he could NOT move his feet at all while throwing the ball in?
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Concerning the 3 foot area in which a player can move when he's throwing the ball in. Does anyone know if it has ever been a rule that he could NOT move his feet at all while throwing the ball in?
Not that I remember....but there are others who've been doing this since the dawn of time who might now for sure.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

How else would he be able to move in the 3 foot area? Sure he can move his feet. Don't forget he has the 3 foot wide area AND he can move backwards as much as the gym will allow.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 09:16am

Thanks. The reason I ask is that a fanboy was yapping last night about it in a high school summer league. I told him the rule afterwards and he wasn't going to have any of it. In fact he was an official and had officiated all over including college (either in college or at college I couldn't tell) and I was informed that I had better learn the rules. You know the type. Always fun to have those talks with fellow officials.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 09:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
How else would he be able to move in the 3 foot area? Sure he can move his feet. Don't forget he has the 3 foot wide area AND he can move backwards as much as the gym will allow.
Tell that to my new friend and see how far you get.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 09:19am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
Great knowledge of the designated throw-in rule, but I believe this is the question:

Quote:
Does anyone know if it has ever been a rule that he could NOT move his feet at all while throwing the ball in?
I'm not sure, but the way people become so adamant about wanting a travel in that situation or screaming "you gotta call that, he can't move" leads me to believe maybe there was a different ruling back in the day.

Quote:
In fact he was an official and had officiated all over including college (either in college or at college I couldn't tell) and I was informed that I had better learn the rules. You know the type. Always fun to have those talks with fellow officials.
This time of year, everybody seems to "ref too" unfortunately I do know the type.
I generally give them less than 60 seconds of my time...

Last edited by Ch1town; Wed Jul 01, 2009 at 09:24am.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 09:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
I'm not sure, but the way people become so adamant about wanting a travel in that situation or screaming "you gotta call that, he can't move" leads me to believe maybe there was a different ruling back in the day.
He also said it would be traveling. I decided to not even go there and take that one on.

That's why I was asking. Just wondering where the confusion comes from. I'm sure some of the problem is that refs who don't know the rule will call will get it wrong sometimes leaving the impression that you can't move your feet. And there's probably no one here who hasn't seen a fellow official actually use the traveling signal when they do call it. And of course when fanboys argue it's always that last official they saw who had it right.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

The rule says that as long as "one foot stays on or over" (edited IL_MALTi) the designated 3 foot area. Ie can have one foot inside the 3 foot area with the other outside that area.

Obviously all feet must be OB until release (lifiting a foot over the line is also allowed as long as it does not touch the IB court before release.
As menioned the thrower can move as far back (within the 3 foot wide corridor) as they so desire. If space to move back is not available other rules kick in.

Initial Rule ref : 4.42.6;

What i believe the "fanboy" was yelling at was the wording of the rule: which states "the thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released" (4.42.Note). What "fanboy" forgot to read is that the spot is 3 feet wide (4.42.6)

Last edited by ILMalti; Wed Jul 01, 2009 at 10:06am.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 09:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nah, you're giving the coach too much credit. They don't know the wording of the rule, or they would know the part that says "traveling rules don't apply...."

Also, the rule says nothing about the foot being "planted."
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nah, you're giving the coach too much credit. They don't know the wording of the rule, or they would know the part that says "traveling rules don't apply...."

Also, the rule says nothing about the foot being "planted."
How right you are .

"a foot" must be on or over"

I should read better too
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:02am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMalti View Post
The rule says that as long as 1 leg stays planted in the designated 3 foot area.

What i believe the "fanboy" was yelling at was the wording of the rule: which states "the thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released"
Which one is it? On/over or planted

Please don't call a violation when the thrower jumps to release the pass.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Which one is it? On/over or planted
My bad choice of words,

The rule specifically states "one foot on or over" I shall edit comment for clarity sake.thank you
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILMalti View Post
What i believe the "fanboy" was yelling at was the wording of the rule: which states "the thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released" (4.42.Note). What "fanboy" forgot to read is that the spot is 3 feet wide (4.42.6)
I also didn't get that deep into the explanation to include the part about a foot being able to be "over" the space. I was a little afraid that his head might explode if I included that part.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You know the type. Always fun to have those talks with fellow officials.
Fellow officials don't yap.

As we say in baseball: don't talk to the fence.
Old Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Lol