The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 09:01pm
In Time Out

made basket at wrong end

Doing some girls and middle school games so they things happen. Say a player makes a basket at the wrong end. Does the same team take out after the basket and can they run the line?
Also, does the clock keep running in this situation if there isn't a foul. I'm thinking the table might get confused or something and not count the basket.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2009, 09:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

A player (A1) throwing the ball through their opponent's basket does in fact award two points (and only ever 2 points) to the opposite team. The individual credited for the two points is of no significance to the officials. A would then take the ball OB for a throw-in, with full endline privileges. The clock keeps going.

If you can get everyone on the same page with no hiccups, then go for it.

Since everyone is likely confused, it's good practice to stop the game, verbalize what happened and how we're continuing.

Edit: In Fed, the object is to score on your own basket. In FIBA, the reverse is true.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Fri Feb 13, 2009 at 04:04pm.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

This very thing happened to me last night in a HS varsity game, and it was a regional championship game, no less!

Early 3rd quarter, B has a throw-in in their front court, A1 makes a good steal, gets turned around, sees she has a clear path to the basket, and makes the layup. In B's basket. Of course, the crowd starts going nuts: "Whoa?...ahhh...yea!...huh?..." I happen to be in front of the table, so I blow it dead, tell the table to award the basket to B, and my partner gives it to A for the endline throw-in.

But the table ended up asking me a question that I didn't know the answer - who gets credit for the points in the scorebook? Obviously A1 doesn't get credit, but is it the nearest player for B? Or is it just credited to "the team"?

A ended up winning by 9, so it didn't affect the outcome, but I imagine her teammates will be giving her a hard time about it for a while. This was one of the few games where we could really say the game wasn't as close as the final score indicated...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
This very thing happened to me last night in a HS varsity game, and it was a regional championship game, no less!

Early 3rd quarter, B has a throw-in in their front court, A1 makes a good steal, gets turned around, sees she has a clear path to the basket, and makes the layup. In B's basket. Of course, the crowd starts going nuts: "Whoa?...ahhh...yea!...huh?..." I happen to be in front of the table, so I blow it dead, tell the table to award the basket to B, and my partner gives it to A for the endline throw-in.

But the table ended up asking me a question that I didn't know the answer - who gets credit for the points in the scorebook? Obviously A1 doesn't get credit, but is it the nearest player for B? Or is it just credited to "the team"?

A ended up winning by 9, so it didn't affect the outcome, but I imagine her teammates will be giving her a hard time about it for a while. This was one of the few games where we could really say the game wasn't as close as the final score indicated...
It is just credited to the team and no player. Yea I seen the back of you head on TV last night. LOL

We had a good one. Ridgeview won by 6 or so but it was an up and down game the whole way.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaRef View Post
Yea I seen the back of you head on TV last night. LOL
Then you saw my best part...

Quote:
We had a good one. Ridgeview won by 6 or so but it was an up and down game the whole way.
Good to hear you had an exciting one as well. Where are you going next week?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Then you saw my best part...

Good to hear you had an exciting one as well. Where are you going next week?
STM Sec on Monday, have BCC and Bismarck. Then Tues and Thurs Normal for 4A regional.

Week after that Lincoln Tues and thurs for 3A Sectional. Then I will be done.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Doing some girls and middle school games so they things happen. Say a player makes a basket at the wrong end. Does the same team take out after the basket and can they run the line?
Also, does the clock keep running in this situation if there isn't a foul. I'm thinking the table might get confused or something and not count the basket.
If there is a foul, especially in the act of "shooting", the play is immediately blown dead and the basket does not count. If the foul occurs after the ball goes through the basket, the points count. The only way the "shooter" would go thier line would be if they were in the bonus, or it was an intentional or flagrant foul.

It has to be a try or tap at the teams own basket for the ball to remain live after getting fouled.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
STM Sec on Monday, have BCC and Bismarck. Then Tues and Thurs Normal for 4A regional.

Week after that Lincoln Tues and thurs for 3A Sectional. Then I will be done.
Congrats on the Sectionals!

If you see the STM coach, ask him if he's taught his players the proper basket to shoot at.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
This happened to me for the first time a couple weeks ago. B1 rebounded a missed free throw and promptly put it back up. Wrong basket and, amazingly, uncontested. B2 grabbed the ball and inbounded with no hesitation and we were off and running again.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 02:38pm
In Time Out

you know what you could do, but make sure the timer and refs know about it so they don't stop the clock. Because you don't want there to be confusion about the play. But at the end of the game make a basket on purpose. say the team is up by 3+ with under 10 seconds to go. Clock keeps running after the basket and time might run out.
kind of like taking a safety in football. risky strategy though.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule View Post
This happened to me for the first time a couple weeks ago. B1 rebounded a missed free throw and promptly put it back up. Wrong basket and, amazingly, uncontested. B2 grabbed the ball and inbounded with no hesitation and we were off and running again.
Oh, and throwing the ball at the opponents backboard also constitutes a dribble, so if the player that "shot" at the wrong basket had already dribbled, they can't get their own "rebound" without there being a double dribble, I think.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh View Post
Oh, and throwing the ball at the opponents backboard also constitutes a dribble, so if the player that "shot" at the wrong basket had already dribbled, they can't get their own "rebound" without there being a double dribble, I think.
In your case, if the player was airborne when they threw the ball against the opponents backboard, it would be a travel. (pivot foot violation.) If they were in contact with the floor when they threw the ball against the opponents backboard, it would be double dribble (starting a second dribble.)
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
A player (A1) throwing the ball through their own basket does in fact award two points (and only ever 2 points) to the opposite team. The individual credited for the two points is of no significance to the officials. A would then take the ball OB for a throw-in, with full endline privileges. The clock keeps going.

If you can get everyone on the same page with no hiccups, then go for it.

Since everyone is likely confused, it's good practice to stop the game, verbalize what happened and how we're continuing.
I'm definitely not arguing your point but is there a rule citation that says a basketball made at the wrong basket could not be worth three points? I can't seem to find one.

-Josh
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I'm definitely not arguing your point but is there a rule citation that says a basketball made at the wrong basket could not be worth three points? I can't seem to find one.

-Josh
5-2-1 requires that a player be located behind his/her teams own 19'9" arc to be awarded 3 pts. That can't exist at your opponents basket.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 04:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
5-2-1 requires that a player be located behind his/her teams own 19'9" arc to be awarded 3 pts. That can't exist at your opponents basket.
Your post made me alter the mistake I made in my original response. However, your statement, although correct, is incomplete.

A person scoring on their opponent's basket (which is the wrong basket) was likely behind their own 3-point line. However, a 3-point basket can only be scored on a try for goal. Since shooting at the wrong basket is not a try (by definition), there can not be a valid 3-pointer when shot at the wrong basket.