Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Lane Violation

Rule 9-1 G states the following:
A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond
the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the
vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated
by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space

Am I overreading or does this mean that if a players toes are in his space but his heal is over the lane lane next to him - it is a violation. I asked V officials about it last night and got some strange looks...
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct...and in my experience you'll see girls do this more than boys. For some reason they like to get right up to the edge of their lane space and then lift their heel up and put it over the lane space mark.

Makes no sense to me. But it's a violation.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 03:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You are correct; but you'll rarely (if ever) see it called. Mainly because there's no advantage, and the intent of the rule has more to do with players hanging their whole foot over to get a head start.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 03:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

That's quite the eagle eye needed to see that one. Call the obvious. This ain't one of the obvious.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah...and I agree with Snaqs and Juggling. Don't think I've ever called it. I've said something to a girl about it before, though, and she stopped.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Semi-hijack of thread with another situation

My GV game last night was toward the end and the visiting team was shooting free throws. The visiting team was up 20+ points at this time with <2:00 to play.

On the first free throw, from the time she gets the ball from my partner who is administering, her toe is about one inch over the line through her whole pre-shot motion and through the end of her shot. On the second free throw she has her toe behind the line the whole time.

Violation on the first free throw?...by rule, yes, but I did not call it. I saw no advantage since the game was out of reach and it had no effect on the outcome.

How many of you would have called the violation on the first free throw? Oh, she ended up missing her first but making the second so maybe she put herself at a disadvantage by being an inch closer to the basket!!!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 05:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Dead, Dead, Dead, Dead, Dead, Dead" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
In my experience you'll see girls do this more than boys.
Agree. Why? Two X chromosomes?

I was watching a girls junior varsity game with my partner before our varsity game, and had a girl yell, "Dead, Dead, Dead, Dead, Dead, Dead". I asked him why girls do this and boys don't? He replied that if a boy did it he would get punched in the face. Now that's the Y chromosome at work.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Now that's the Y chromosome at work.
Every time I encounter the term 'Y chromosome' it reminds me of the news story I read a while back. According to that story, the Y chromosome is shrinking. Within 10,000 years, there will be nothing left of it.

That's right: no more men.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOfficial View Post
My GV game last night was toward the end and the visiting team was shooting free throws. The visiting team was up 20+ points at this time with <2:00 to play.

On the first free throw, from the time she gets the ball from my partner who is administering, her toe is about one inch over the line through her whole pre-shot motion and through the end of her shot. On the second free throw she has her toe behind the line the whole time.

Violation on the first free throw?...by rule, yes, but I did not call it. I saw no advantage since the game was out of reach and it had no effect on the outcome.

How many of you would have called the violation on the first free throw? Oh, she ended up missing her first but making the second so maybe she put herself at a disadvantage by being an inch closer to the basket!!!
I would.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
Rule 9-1 G states the following:
A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond
the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the
vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated
by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space

Am I overreading or does this mean that if a players toes are in his space but his heal is over the lane lane next to him - it is a violation. I asked V officials about it last night and got some strange looks...
You are correct about how the rule is written. That is generally not how it is called.

Also, notice that by the rule being written that way it is NOT illegal for a player to extend his/her hands/arms into the space of a another player along the lane.

You will hear many not-so-knowledgeable officials instruct the players to keep their hands in their own space. There is no such rule.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation 2008 2009 Basketball Bulletin I

I have to disagree with you comment about not-so-knowledgeable officials.

Lane Violations will occur more frequently now that we have moved everyone further from the end line. The offensive players in the second lane spaces will try to hook around the defensive players in the first lane spaces. There is more room to use that maneuver. Remember the ball must strike the basket before anyone moves from his/her lane space. Also, each person must keep his/her entire body in his/her own vertical plane which is 3-foot wide. Arms, legs and torso must stay within that plane.

Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
I have to disagree with you comment about not-so-knowledgeable officials.

Lane Violations will occur more frequently now that we have moved everyone further from the end line. The offensive players in the second lane spaces will try to hook around the defensive players in the first lane spaces. There is more room to use that maneuver. Remember the ball must strike the basket before anyone moves from his/her lane space. Also, each person must keep his/her entire body in his/her own vertical plane which is 3-foot wide. Arms, legs and torso must stay within that plane.

That simply is a false statement. There is no rule requiring each player to stay within his/her vertical plane.

Being outside that plane may make a player more responsible for any contact that occurs, but if there is no contact, a player can put his/her arm wherever he/she darn well pleases (other than directly in front of another player's face in an effort to obscure that player's vision).
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, each person must keep his/her entire body in his/her own vertical plane which is 3-foot wide. Arms, legs and torso must stay within that plane.
Reference, please.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/docum...lletin%201.pdf
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, that comment is not supported by NFHS rules.