The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Someone posted an article on here a while back about NBA referees. They mentioned that the one rule that people don't understand is that the NBA has some other kind of criteria for traveling. Something about a rythym that they use. I can't remember it exactly. Does anyone else remember this?
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:28pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Someone posted an article on here a while back about NBA referees. They mentioned that the one rule that people don't understand is that the NBA has some other kind of criteria for traveling. Something about a rythym that they use. I can't remember it exactly. Does anyone else remember this?
A ref's life: To get ready, officials often go to the tape

It was from USA Today - I actually posted it. (Link above, article excerpt below)

Many fans believe NBA referees ignore all but the most blatant of traveling calls. But after countless hours of video review, Foster maintains that most of the time, they get it right.

The NBA allows a "two-count rhythm" after a player gathers the ball. But fans don't recognize that a player must have complete possession of the ball, and that the steps start after the gather. "In some cases that can be two very large strides to the basket," Foster says. "After reviewing tape it is often seen that what fans might have thought was a travel is in fact just an 'awkward' legal move."

At other levels of basketball, players are whistled for traveling if they fall to the floor with the ball. Not so in the NBA — as long as the player gains no advantage by rolling or sliding away from an opponent.

An NBA player is also free to rise if he gains control of the ball while on the floor.

There is an instance where NBA referees call traveling that won't be called at other levels. It's the "hop-hop" travel, when a player alights off a foot and lands on the same foot, i.e., a "jump stop."
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:53pm
Huck Finn

A bad jump stop?

Yes, I think it is traveling too. It is three steps and it doesn't follow the "two count rhythm."

What I don't understand is this being referred to as a poorly executed jump stop. He didn't try to do anything like a jump stop - that description has me puzzled.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
The NBA allows a "two-count rhythm" after a player gathers the ball.
The problem is that no one really understands what the heck that means! I've never seen a detailed explanation of what constitutes a "two-count rhythm" and what doesn't. The rule is so vague that it is practically useless.

The NBA should change their traveling rule to match the FIBA rule.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 10:06pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The problem is that no one really understands what the heck that means! I've never seen a detailed explanation of what constitutes a "two-count rhythm" and what doesn't. The rule is so vague that it is practically useless.

I'm not a NBA basher, but there is one thing I know for sure: the NBA will not follow any other organization. Stern will never let anyone think his league doesn't have all the answers.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 11:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Yes, I think it is traveling too. It is three steps and it doesn't follow the "two count rhythm."

What I don't understand is this being referred to as a poorly executed jump stop. He didn't try to do anything like a jump stop - that description has me puzzled.
I know he wasn't trying to do a jump stop, but what I saw was him jumping off the right foot upon gathering the ball. Normally, we see this with a jump stop the way he jumped. The problem was, he had no intention of a jump stop so he basically jump stepped instead of landing on both feet and then jumping; which would have been legal.

Instead, maybe I should have described it as a triple-jump.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 07:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

He may be the next Carl Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I should have described it as a triple-jump.
Now he can participate in two events at the next Summer Olympics, basketball and the triple jump.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 07:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Now he can participate in two events at the next Summer Olympics, basketball and the triple jump.
Ya know, some of you guys are just wrong! How can you take a serious post and turn it all upside down? I can’t believe we’re talking about a “triple jump.” This is serious business!

I just checked the NBA Rule Book – Page 734, Section 126, Par 3.c. specifically states – “The “crab dribble”, if executed effectively by a Superstar* shall not be called during “crunch time” of any game, especially in the playoffs. However, said dribble shall be illegal the remainder of the time when not a playoff game or a team has more than a 20 point lead with under 4 minutes to go in the final period.”

Obviously, Lebron was correct and the refs misapplied the rule.

* Superstar is defined in Section 125. (Look it up yourself)
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I get it. A crab has 8 legs, so the pivot foot is a real mystery, just like when Lebron does practically anything.
Dude: crabs are decapods. Maybe that reinforces your point.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 12:01pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Ya know, some of you guys are just wrong! How can you take a serious post and turn it all upside down? I can’t believe we’re talking about a “triple jump.” This is serious business!

I just checked the NBA Rule Book – Page 734, Section 126, Par 3.c. specifically states – “The “crab dribble”, if executed effectively by a Superstar* shall not be called during “crunch time” of any game, especially in the playoffs. However, said dribble shall be illegal the remainder of the time when not a playoff game or a team has more than a 20 point lead with under 4 minutes to go in the final period.”

Obviously, Lebron was correct and the refs misapplied the rule.

* Superstar is defined in Section 125. (Look it up yourself)

ROFLMAO,

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

This discussion about LJ reaffirms my opinion. "Crab-dribble?" There is something to be said for the requirement of NCAA participation both for the classroom and court experience.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

It's actually not vague at all if you own a NBA rulebook. It explains it quite well.

In short, the first count is when the ball has been gathered and upon the gather the first foot (feet) to contact the floor. meaning that if a player gathers the ball off the floor and lands with both feet that is the count of 1. if he gathers while on the floor, that is the count of 1.

The second count is after the first... obviously. If the player gathers the ball in the air and lands with two then he is allowed to pivot upon landing, as he has only completed a count of 1. If the gather is prior to leaving the floor then he has to land with both, due to the "two-count rhythm" guidelines and he is not allowed to pivot.

This is the same as the HS and college rule! I've said that for years!

The only play that is different is our "hop" travel rule.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:26pm
We don't rent pigs

They had former player and "expert of all things NBA" Jalen rose on ESPN First Take to discuss the play. He described what a crab dribble is and laughed as he said the "crab dribble had absolutely nothing to do with the three steps he took on his way to the hoop." I was actually kind of relieved to hear that basically everyone there, except Lebron, agreed, just as we do here: It's always a travel, they just don't call it. The only question that remains is

WHY?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
It's actually not vague at all if you own a NBA rulebook. It explains it quite well.

In short, the first count is when the ball has been gathered and upon the gather the first foot (feet) to contact the floor. meaning that if a player gathers the ball off the floor and lands with both feet that is the count of 1. if he gathers while on the floor, that is the count of 1.

The second count is after the first... obviously. If the player gathers the ball in the air and lands with two then he is allowed to pivot upon landing, as he has only completed a count of 1. If the gather is prior to leaving the floor then he has to land with both, due to the "two-count rhythm" guidelines and he is not allowed to pivot.

This is the same as the HS and college rule! I've said that for years!

The only play that is different is our "hop" travel rule.
Ben,

I still don't understand. Are you saying that if a player gathers the ball with his right foot on the floor and then his left foot comes down to the floor that his left foot is his pivot foot? I have tried numerous times to grasp this 2 count rhythm thing and I am absolutely clueless.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Ben,

I still don't understand. Are you saying that if a player gathers the ball with his right foot on the floor and then his left foot comes down to the floor that his left foot is his pivot foot? I have tried numerous times to grasp this 2 count rhythm thing and I am absolutely clueless.
Jay, in the play you are describing count 1 is his right foot and count 2 is his left foot, he is now no longer allowed to progress any further without penalty.