The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inbound (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50282-inbound.html)

Clark Kent Thu Dec 11, 2008 02:46am

Inbound

In my last two games I had the same thing occur and after asking my partners and looking up in the rule book I am still baffled, so I am turning to the experts for help! ;)

Team A is inbound the ball on their own end line. A1 legally inbounds to A2 who quickly passes the ball back back to A1 who jumps from out of bounds grabs the ball in the air and lands in bounds.

The first night I called it a violation and tonight I didn't call it. I heard the coach moan as if I missed it as I ran by him, but I was unable to find that to be a violation.

Is there a clarification on a player needing to "establish" himself/herself in bounds prior to touching the ball?

just another ref Thu Dec 11, 2008 02:59am

4-35-3: The location of an airborne player with relation to (inbounds or out of bounds) is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 11, 2008 04:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 557235)
In my last two games I had the same thing occur and after asking my partners and looking up in the rule book I am still baffled, so I am turning to the experts for help! ;)

Team A is inbound the ball on their own end line. A1 legally inbounds to A2 who quickly passes the ball back back to A1 who jumps from out of bounds grabs the ball in the air and lands in bounds.

The first night I called it a violation and tonight I didn't call it. I heard the coach moan as if I missed it as I ran by him, but I was unable to find that to be a violation.

Is there a clarification on a player needing to "establish" himself/herself in bounds prior to touching the ball?

These two rulings from the Case Book should help you:

PLAYER LOCATION
4.35.1 SITUATION:
A1 has both feet on the floor behind the three-point line. A1
jumps and releases the ball on a successful try and then lands inside the line.

RULING:
Three points are scored. (5-2-1)

4.35.2 SITUATION:
Thrower A1 inbounds the ball to A2. A2 immediately throws
the ball back to A1. When A1 touches the pass, he/she has: (a) both feet touching
inbounds; (b) one foot touching inbounds and one out of bounds; or (c) one
foot touching inbounds and the other not touching the floor.
RULING: The ball
remains live in (a) and (c), but A1 has caused the ball to be out of bounds in (b).
(4-4-4)

grunewar Thu Dec 11, 2008 05:56am

You are where you are, until you get where you're going

Clark - I like to explain it to coaches and young refs like this:

When a ball is going out of bounds and A1 dives after it and saves it before it goes out of bounds, it's a live ball because A1 dove from the court and never touched out of bounds. Therefore, he and the ball are still considered inbounds.

Same is the opposite (and backcourt). If a player is out of bounds (or in the backcourt) and leaps/jumps and touches the ball, it (the ball) then has the same status as the player when he left the court. Therefore - TWEET!

Also, in your case, you've got to have "something in and nothing out."

Clark Kent Thu Dec 11, 2008 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 557237)
4-35-3: The location of an airborne player with relation to (inbounds or out of bounds) is the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor or an extension of the floor, such as a bleacher.

Perfect that is the reference I was looking for!