The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

ball side mechanic

I had a question about the ball side mechanic in 2-person. I know that the manual says that the L should go ball side if the ball and a majority of the players are on the T side below the FT line ext. The diagram they give doesn't have a "majority" of the players in that area (maybe I'm being picky and 1/2 is sufficient for a majority).

I was just wondering if someone could explain to this newbie in a different manner than the book since that's not sinking in (at least right now).
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think you really have to feel it. This is now my second year, and I'm finally starting to get the grasp as to when to go ball side, and when to stay home. I'm not sure there is a clear 100% of the time definition for this one. When I need to go over to ball side to officiate the play, I go. If I feel I gain little to no advantage by going ball side, I stay. In fact, last year I had a couple times where I went ball side and it put me at a complete disadvantage. I hope this helps.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
I had a question about the ball side mechanic in 2-person. I know that the manual says that the L should go ball side if the ball and a majority of the players are on the T side below the FT line ext. The diagram they give doesn't have a "majority" of the players in that area (maybe I'm being picky and 1/2 is sufficient for a majority).

I was just wondering if someone could explain to this newbie in a different manner than the book since that's not sinking in (at least right now).
Consider:
2-20 - 5 T-side below, 3 T-side above
2-21 - 5 t-side below, 3 T-side above

In both cases the diagram shows an uncontested match-up on Lead side (i.e., nothing to do), so crossover and help as opposed to standing like a sundial away from play.

Rule a thumb, be there when you are needed and don't be late.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Our association has pretty much told us not to use ball side mechanics in 2-man. I'll only do it in transition when the Trail doesn't get deep enough.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 09:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Our association has pretty much told us not to use ball side mechanics in 2-man. I'll only do it in transition when the Trail doesn't get deep enough.
Seems to me that your association may be underestimating the abiity of the membership.
If we are challenged, we'll answer.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Seems to me that your association may be underestimating the abiity of the membership.
If we are challenged, we'll answer.
I don't know - that was told to us during a meeting of 1-3 year officials. I'm sure a lot of the older guys do it anyway.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 11:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I don't know - that was told to us during a meeting of 1-3 year officials. I'm sure a lot of the older guys do it anyway.
It's actually the opposite. A lot of the OLDER guys don't think you can ever cross the lane. Hell, most of them are still thinking how wonderful it was to work in the Cadillac and crossover during the live ball to get in it.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 11:03pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Rather than tell you not to do it, perhaps they should be teaching how to do it.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Rather than tell you not to do it, perhaps they should be teaching how to do it.
I just go with what they say since they're the ones that decide when and if I move up or not.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I just go with what they say since they're the ones that decide when and if I move up or not.
So following the proper mechanics can keep you from moving up?

I'm happy I don't have to deal with that since I don't receive any games from an association.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

We have a meeting this weekend so I'll ask about it.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post

if you wait for all the players and the ball to get below the FT line and then move across you may be too late. This is where you have to know what the teams are doing and what they are playing. If a team is playing zone defense, and the offense is skip passing alot you will probably wont be doing a lot of strong side officiating.

If the teams are playing man-to man and the team likes to go inside, you gotta get across because you know the ball is going to the hoop from that side.

If the two big guys are posting each other up and the ball is on opposite side from me as lead, the ball seems to be settling on that side and the big guys go across, I am going with them most of the time. I would rather be watching the post play from a couple of feet in front of them than from 15 feet, especially if you can get there and the ball is going to them...

My favorite mechanic (learned this from another official who does it so well)... If you are fast enough and can deal with a fast break and the ball is on opposite lane from you, if you can beta them down and get across it looks so good if there is foul because you are right there...

I learned my strong side mechanics in the two man game from Hue Hollins from the NBA...( a couple of years before the term had even hit high school reffing circuit).. His philosphy and that of the NBA two man crew (at least then) was that three person mechanics is a two man strong side game with a third official to help cover the backside.. The reason I bring this up... Watch college or NBA games and see when lead goes strong side with the play and see (based on NFHS philosophy) if you would or should go over to watch players or the ball. Get a feel for the game by even watching the TV games and you will recognize that many times when the lead in a three person game goes across, you might want to go across in a two person game...

Just something to think about...
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all who replied. This was really helpful. I'll try to remember these things as my basketball officiating season kicks off.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We have a meeting this weekend so I'll ask about it.
In which state do you reside and work HS ball?
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In which state do you reside and work HS ball?
Check your PMs.