The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I need some game talk!!!

I sure am ready for everyone to do some games and post some good stories. (funny and informative) My first of the season is Friday. My shirts and pants are pressed and have been ready to go for two weeks now. I just shined my shoes for the third time in the past two weeks. But I'm not anxious.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 07:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton View Post
I just shined my shoes for the third time in the past two weeks. But I'm not anxious.
Third time? Wow.

I know a guy last year that was so ready to get on the floor. He cleaned his gear bag out and cleaned everything up. The only problem was when we were at the game he found a problem. He forgot to put his whistles back in his bag. Lucky, he was working with me and I have a few spares.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

OK Tanner,
Knowing and loving you as we all do.... just exactly what constitutes a few whistles?

A. 1-4 And we all know that one's not it, right M&M!
B. 5-10
C. 11-24
D. They're cheaper by the case anyway.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 08:53pm
M.A.S.H.

I've been advised by my lawyer not to answer this question and to protect the innocent.

Oh, alright.... it's C. But in fairness, it's less than 20.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 11:00am
Lighten up, Francis.

For me, I have 6 in my bag (4 black, 1 blue, 1 pink) and one in a pocket of each jacket. The only reason I know this for sure is that I just took them all out to wash them before the season gets going.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 11:28am
M.A.S.H.

Hmm, I forgot about the pink and blue whistle.

I think I've got about 15 black, 1 pink, and 1 blue. But I haven't counted...and I'm afraid to.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
For me, I have 6 in my bag (4 black, 1 blue, 1 pink) and one in a pocket of each jacket. The only reason I know this for sure is that I just took them all out to wash them before the season gets going.
I'm very paranoid about forgetting my whistles. I keep an emergency whistle and smitty in the car. But I hadn't considered one in my jacket pocket. I'll do that.

Not counting the emergency whistle in the car, I have 3 black with pipe tips, a black pearl (for multi-court facilities), one white and one pink. Where does the blue get used?

I keep my whistles in a plastic bowl with a lid, to keep them clean and uncrushed. But I've noticed the last couple of years that the metal clips on my smittys rust. I finally figured that had to be from putting whistles back in the bowl still wet after use. So the next time I buy something with one of those silica gel packets, I'm going to put it in my whistle bowl.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 03:02pm.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Where does the blue get used?
I believe it's the "male" version of the pink one, for cancer awareness. Use the pink whistle during women's/girls' games, and the blue during men's/boys' games that particular week.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So the next time I buy something with one of those silica gel packets, I'm going to put it in my whistle bowl.
Good idea. But DO NOT EAT it. I learned that lesson the first time...
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 03:56pm
MABO Member

Quote:
I keep my whistles in a plastic bowl with a lid, to keep them clean and uncrushed. But I've noticed the last couple of years that the metal clips on my smittys rust. I finally figured that had to be from putting whistles back in the bowl still wet after use. So the next time I buy something with one of those silica gel packets, I'm going to put it in my whistle bowl.
That is a good idea. I bought a mouth guard container with a small carabiner. Wish I could remember the name brand. It clips on a gromet inside my bag and is out of the way protected. It has holes in it as well to allow the whistles to dry between use.

Edit: Its a Shock Doctor case.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 03:58pm. Reason: remembered the name of case.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Want To Play Too ...

In my bag I have five, black, mini Fox 40s, one pink Fox 40, one blue Fox 40, and four Acmes with peas. Our local board requires us to carry an extra whistle in our pocket to help keep track of the possession arrow, which is what I use my old Acmes for. That's eleven in my bag.

I also have a black, mini fox 40, on a lanyard, and a loose Acme hanging in my closet for when I do a Catholic middle school game, and go to the site in uniform. In storage at home I have nine, old Acmes with peas.

I have twenty-two whistles? I don't remember buying all of them. I only remember tossing a few whistles in the trash over the past twenty-seven years. I hope someone posts with more than twenty-two. I don't want to be known as the Forum whistle guy. I guess that you can never have too many whistles. Do they procreate, and multiply, like rabbits over the summer?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 07:01pm.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 12:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The Forum Whistle Guy, I Guess ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I have twenty-two whistles? I hope someone posts with more than twenty-two. I don't want to be known as the Forum whistle guy. I guess that you can never have too many whistles. Do they procreate, and multiply, like rabbits over the summer?
No new posts since November 13, 2008. Did I win? Or, maybe I lost. I thought for sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. would have more whistles than me. I'm sure that he has some that are made of stone, or wood. That's how they used to make whistles, back then, in the olden days.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 01:10pm.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 04:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Alright, I officially counted... I have 27.

3 CMGs - black, 24 classics (22 black, 1 pink, 1 blue).

The ones that are chewed up I attach them to an inside zipper. 1 CMG is retired as it's the whistle I used in my first game. Man, I chewed the crap outta that thing!
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Did I Win, Or, Did I Lose ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I officially counted. I have 27.
Thank God. Now you're officially the Forum "whistle guy". And it wasn't even close. You must be some weird guy to have so many whistles. Do you collect old National Geographic magazines too?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 10:06pm.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Our local board requires us to carry an extra whistle in our pocket to help keep track of the possession arrow, which is what I use my old Acmes for.
You're kidding, right???

I mean, no matter your personal philosophy on the subject, for an association to REQUIRE such a thing is a little OAOA don't you think?

Last edited by eyezen; Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 12:37am.