The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question Finding a "good" video/DVD on 2 man mechanics"

I'm an absolute novice at basketball in general. My local softball assignor has asked me to try basketball.

I've just done my very first scrimmage games "ever" and I'm excited about learning the rules, mechanics technicques so I can do a respectable job officiating basketball games. I'm looking for a good video to teach me the basics of 2 man mechanics.

They're starting me out at the middle school level and are using 2 guys. Anyone help out with a place to go for decent DVD/videos?
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

I searched quite a bit last season and couldn't find one, at least not a good one. I don't remember the name of the one I purchased, but it was not very in-depth, only lasted 15 or so minutes, and wasn't very helpful. I tossed away 20 or so bucks on that one.

It would seem someone could make one hitting on everything from when the officials enter the court, to the jump, throughout the game, and end of the game. Possibly even splicing in some live game stuff to demonstrate. However, there must not be enough money in it.

Here's my 0.02...study the NFHS books and learn the rules, positioning, signals. Go to games and watch other officials. Work some lower level games and begin to put into practice what you've learned (and are learning). Ask questions. And become a frequent visitor of this forum.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue
I'm an absolute novice at basketball in general. My local softball assignor has asked me to try basketball.

I've just done my very first scrimmage games "ever" and I'm excited about learning the rules, mechanics technicques so I can do a respectable job officiating basketball games. I'm looking for a good video to teach me the basics of 2 man mechanics.

They're starting me out at the middle school level and are using 2 guys. Anyone help out with a place to go for decent DVD/videos?
I have one and its at home. I just dont remember where I ordered it from. PM me and I have some options for you.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

This is a good beginning video. I believe it was made in Canada so some rules/mechanics may be different from your local officiating group. In general though it is a well put together video.

Referee Training Video