The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
"Replays seemed to suggest Green traveled by picking up his pivot foot. None of the three officials saw it that way."
When you hear things like this, it makes you wonder if they think a jump shot is a travel. How can you take a jump shot without lifting your pivot foot, LOL?
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a ref so found this site a valuable resource when looking into this topic; I'm one of those who was sure that what Green did was a travel, as did most of the people in my pickup game who I discussed it with.

I have an additional question. Green was pivoting on his right foot, planted his left, spun around it and elevated and shot. Let's say he was trying to gain a little more distance and instead of pivoting and stepping on his left, he jumped to his left. So the move was similar, but his right foot left the ground before his left one landed. Is this a travel? The NBA rule book says "If he alights with both feet, he must release the ball before either foot touches the floor", by which I think it would be interpreted as a travel; I'm not sure if there's a similar college rule, or if it's implied one way or another. (This came up in a pickup game yesterday when someone made a similar move.)
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
When you hear things like this, it makes you wonder if they think a jump shot is a travel. How can you take a jump shot without lifting your pivot foot, LOL?
The travel occurs when you lift your pivot and put it down before releasing the ball.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothinButAFan
I have an additional question. Green was pivoting on his right foot, planted his left, spun around it and elevated and shot. Let's say he was trying to gain a little more distance and instead of pivoting and stepping on his left, he jumped to his left. So the move was similar, but his right foot left the ground before his left one landed. Is this a travel? The NBA rule book says "If he alights with both feet, he must release the ball before either foot touches the floor", by which I think it would be interpreted as a travel; I'm not sure if there's a similar college rule, or if it's implied one way or another. (This came up in a pickup game yesterday when someone made a similar move.)
First of all I have no idea (as most of us here do not know as well) what the NBA Rulebook says. Maybe someone can give you the NBA definition but I know I cannot at this time. I do not work any NBA games or games with NBA rules. I would only be guessing.

This play happen in a NCAA game which also shares the same rules of traveling as National Federation (High School to you) Rules do. It is always legal to lift a pivot foot to pass and shoot. This is what took place so it was not called. If a player puts back his pivot foot to the floor before he shoots or passes (after lifting it) then it would be a travel. Now since you are a fan I will not get into all the traveling as it relates to dribbling because that was not your question.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothinButAFan
Hmmm. As I read this, I'm picturing a layup.

"If he alights with both feet" most likely would refer to jumping off of both feet at the same time.