The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Jinx
I love GT & it was a travel! It was a travel if he was playing in the NBA! Patrick Ewing didn't walk that much when he played with the Knicks.
Stupid monkeys.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

At one point last night, I think it may have been after the UNC game, CBS showed a replay where Green, before he did the legal move that we're all talking about (the pivot, push off, shoot move), as he started his pivot w/ his right foot, he lifted it up and put it back down.....and when I say lifted it up, they were zoomed in on it so that only the foot was on the screen (a la the Kentucky 3-pointer of last year). And yes, he did lift his pivot foot by about 1 inch and put it back down as he was doing the pivot move before he made the shot.

That being said, at live game speed, there is no way an official could have seen it. CBS slowed it down and zoomed in on ONLY the foot. If only we had it so easy.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 01:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
At one point last night, I think it may have been after the UNC game, CBS showed a replay where Green, before he did the legal move that we're all talking about (the pivot, push off, shoot move), as he started his pivot w/ his right foot, he lifted it up and put it back down.....and when I say lifted it up, they were zoomed in on it so that only the foot was on the screen (a la the Kentucky 3-pointer of last year). And yes, he did lift his pivot foot by about 1 inch and put it back down as he was doing the pivot move before he made the shot.

That being said, at live game speed, there is no way an official could have seen it. CBS slowed it down and zoomed in on ONLY the foot. If only we had it so easy.
If you see it again look up on the bodies and you'll see some sort of contact which probably caused the foot to come off the floor. Good no call.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 02:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Case in point was the Oden foul in the Xavier game. None of the game announcers, sportswriters, or the Xavier coach made much more of the foul than what it was, a foul. Yet officials on this forum wanted an intentional foul called based, solely, on replays and youtube video.
Let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
As officials we
???
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

New angle

Before the UCLA/Kansas Game, I saw an angle from under the basket. I only watched Green's pivot foot. I'm not certain, but I believe that at a point when he lifted his heel and had his toe on the ground, the defender may have kicked him in the bottom of the foot, causing the pivot foot to move.

If so, that's a great no-call.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Did you see this?

Classy reply from the Vandy coach Kevin Stallings:

"I'm certainly not going to take away from the dignity of this game," Stallings said. "I haven't seen the replay. Don't care to. He made a great shot."

It's on page 2 of this article: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2978088

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Vandy whole program is first class. I always root for them to do well in the SEC.

The comments by the player and the coach do their institution proud. Sadly, the article is just another one by a sportswriter who has never seen a rules book.

"Replays seemed to suggest Green traveled by picking up his pivot foot. None of the three officials saw it that way."
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

CBS is clearly backtracking on the Green play. Someone even coached Billy Packer to state that it was clearly NOT a travel when the broadcast returned from the first media time-out in today's Georgetown/UNC game.
Old Sun Mar 25, 2007, 04:45pm
M.A.S.H.

Clearly was written for him. I've noticed no one else is saying anything else about it now.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I taped the game because the Hoyas were playing. I have gone back and watched the play several times. Here are the facts:

1. Green loses the ball on the play so there is no pivot foot that matters until he recovers the ball.

2. Once he recovers the ball, he steps with his LEFT foot, thus his RIGHT foot is his pivot.

3. He now does a reverse pivot with his back to the basket by stepping with his left foot. He finishes the move by lifting his right foot, spinning towards the end line on his left foot, and without ever touching his right foot to the floor jumping off his left foot into the air and making a one-handed shot.

Since the pivot foot was lifted, but not returned to the floor before the ball was released on a try, there was no traveling violation. Good basket, the announcers know nothing, and Georgetown wins!
That's exactly how I saw it. I'm a huge, life-long Vanderbilt fan, and as much as I wanted a travel to be called, there was no travel. I didn't think he traveled when watching it live, and I was sure he didn't when I saw the replay. In the end, Green made a great play. The defense was excellent...they trapped him, cut off any possible pass and forced him to take an off-balance, low-percentage, desperation shot. He probably misses that shot 3 out 4, maybe 4 out of 5 times. Hey, a money player made a money play...my hats off to him, the lousy $#@&(!
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
The final shot in the Hoya game. I am so tired of these announcers who don't know the rule. They kep talking about how his left foot was the pivot foot and that as soon as he lifted it, he traveled. Why won't these networks just hire an official that knows the rules? Drives me crazy. It was mainly Seth Davis.
You can lift your pivot, it just cant be returned to the floor.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Stupid monkeys.

yeah what he said
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I call mostly grade school and a few Freshman games each year (yes, there are many of us out there too). I enjoy watching the officiating at D1 level. At my level, there's no way I could let the amount of contact I see in D1 go with no call. I didn't see travel, but the traveling I call at grade school level is usually blatantly obvious.

It's a great game at any level.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

if anyone cares anymore

in the insider stuff from jay bilas it appears that he attacks the people who said Green traveled; I do not have insider, just read the summary on espn: says something like, "to those who thought it was a travel, read the rules"
Old Mon Mar 26, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

We're all gettin' old and cranky. Years ago (well, MANY years ago for me) we might have turned announcer mistakes and stupidity into a drinking game....you know...every time we hear the announcers say "reach-in foul" or "over the back" or "that was a travel" we'd have to chug a beer....