The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 10:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Dumb Player Halftime Show

Tonight, my partner and I came onto the floor with about three minutes to go in the half. Just in time to see #30 near the zenith of his jump, grab the rim with both hands and pull down the rim while swinging around before letting go. I go to the coach and ask, "Was that number 30 up there?" He replied in the affirmative. I let him know that we would be starting the 2nd half with FTs. And he had to sit down the rest of the night.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Here's an even better story! A friend was working a varsity HS boy's game and the players hated their coach. During the warm-up before the game they purposely sent 3 players in a row on the layup line to dunk, dunk, dunk. 3 Ts indirectly charged to the head coach. My friend had the pleasure of informing the coach that the game would start with 6 shots, posession to the opponents, and with him in the locker room. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the locker room at halftime!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2007, 11:55pm
M.A.S.H.

Dang... talk about making a statement. Did they do this more than once throughout the season?
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Dang... talk about making a statement. Did they do this more than once throughout the season?

Every game.

It was a great season.

HAHAHAHHAHAHA!
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 08:54am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Beckerman
Here's an even better story! A friend was working a varsity HS boy's game and the players hated their coach. During the warm-up before the game they purposely sent 3 players in a row on the layup line to dunk, dunk, dunk. 3 Ts indirectly charged to the head coach. My friend had the pleasure of informing the coach that the game would start with 6 shots, posession to the opponents, and with him in the locker room. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the locker room at halftime!
HC to Asst Coach on the way out of the gym: "Those three are on the bench for 32 minutes tonight."
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Beckerman

Funny how this type of thing always happens to a "friend" at an undisclosed school. I'm calling the bluff. . . .sounds like an urban legend.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 01:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Funny how this type of thing always happens to a "friend" at an undisclosed school. I'm calling the bluff. . . .sounds like an urban legend.
Since I've heard this about 30 times supposedly at 30 different schools, I would agree. I'm waiting to hear it told about a girls team.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 01:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Since I've heard this about 30 times supposedly at 30 different schools, I would agree. I'm waiting to hear it told about a girls team.
I'm sure that Bernie will be posting the link to the news article any day now.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While some of the stories may be urban legends. It did happen here in Portland. It was not in a varsity but either a JV or Freshman game. I remember the league the school was from but can't remember the specific school. Yes...it did really happen. I heard about it 2-3 days after it occurred.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
While some of the stories may be urban legends. It did happen here in Portland. It was not in a varsity but either a JV or Freshman game. I remember the league the school was from but can't remember the specific school. Yes...it did really happen. I heard about it 2-3 days after it occurred.
Again, the vague general nature of this merely proves my point. Sure, no specific school, sure, hearing about it second hand 2-3 days later.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, the vague general nature of this merely proves my point. Sure, no specific school, sure, hearing about it second hand 2-3 days later.
Discount it if you want. If it were worth my time, I could dig up the details. It happened. IIRC, it was either Lakeridge HS, Lake Oswego HS, or West Linn HS. Can't remember which...too many years ago. Plus, the person I heard it from would have had 1st hand knowledge.

I did find this direct claim by devdog69 that he was the referee for such an event...

http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...99&postcount=1

Call him a liar if you like, but I think your point has been disproven.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 12:39am.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm certain it has happened at least once or twice across the country. I know for sure at least one occurence was right here in Portalnd, as Camron claims. I could find out for sure what school it was, if you need to know for some reason.

It may have then grown into an urban legend. That can happen too. Just because something is an urban legend, doesn't mean it's not true.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mythbusters

Let's send this in to "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel.