The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Question help for college

I am going to be starting my first year at the JC level...

Any advise on the best way to keep JC separate from HS?

or How to transistion from night to night?

thanks.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by footlocker
Congrats! It's going to be a big adjustment for you, but I'm sure it will be exciting. Good luck!

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean how to make sure your schedules don't conflict? Do you mean how to keep the rules differences straight? Help me out a little with what you're looking for.

Quote:
Just like HS ball, Juco ball can vary wildly in the quality you see from night to night, from team to team, from early in the season to late in the season on the same team. If you have very high quality HS ball in your area, the Juco ball may not be that much better. On the other hand, some Juco schools get D1 athletes who for some reason (academic, financial, legal) had to wait a year to get into a D1 program.

The best way to make a smooth transition is simply to focus on the game you're doing that night. A good pre-game helps. That sounds oversimplified, but I don't think it is. Focus on the game you have to work that night. 2-whistle or 3-whistle? Mentally prepare for it. NCAA rules or FED rules? Pre-game the differences. That's the biggest step.

Best of luck. Let us know how the first one goes.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
I know how you feel footlocker, I too finally got in JC ball and chuck I think you said it best. I agree that a good pregame is the best to get your mind focused.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 11:10pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Make sure that you understand the shot clock rules - they can be tricky!

Also, know the differences in the rules - some seem to be the same, but aren't. For example, double foul in HS = point of interruption. Double foul in college = awarded to team in possession of the ball nearest where foul occured. Slightly different, but could be a big difference depending on the game situation.

Personally, after doing men's college for a year or two I had to stop working HS girls. It was just too much of a jump to work a HS girl's game one night and then go work a men's NCAA D3 game the next. Not sure if this is true for everyone, but definitely was for me...
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by footlocker

thanks.
Try to arrange to ride to the games with your partner(s), it will give you a chance to ask a lot of questions and get a head start on your pre-game.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Also, know the differences in the rules - some seem to be the same, but aren't. For example, double foul in HS = point of interruption. Double foul in college = awarded to team in possession of the ball nearest where foul occured.
Although Brad's point is a good one -- make sure you really do know the differences between NCAA and FED -- the example that he gave is no longer a difference.

New NCAA rule for the '06-'07 season: Rule 4-51a: The ball will be returned to play at the POI after double fouls and simultaneous personal fouls. Rationale: This creates consistency in where the ball will be returned to play after double fouls and simultaneous fouls.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:56am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see the transition as being that difficult. Of course the shot clock is now a factor at the college level that is not in most HS situations. You have kids that are bigger and faster at the college level and your whistle has to be much slower and your calls have to be more deliberate. I also agree with Brad. If you are working Men's basketball you need to get rid of Girl's basketball in your sights. I think it is a harder transition to work a girl's game on a Friday and then work a Men's college game on Saturday afternoon. The speed of the game is a huge factor and you do not want to be a couple steps behind when working college ball. Also when you talk plays or see things that take place at the HS level, think of the college interpretation or how it should be handled at the college ranks. This will help you understand the rules differences as the year goes on. If this is your first year you likely are not going to be alternating every night working a HS game then a college game (even big time veterans do not do this as much as you would think). If you are the typical first year college official, you will have plenty of time to go over differences in mechanics, rules and philosophy. You can watch a lot of college basketball to get a feel of what to call and what is expected. If you have a good pre-game, that will help greatly. Just do not over think the job you have to do when you officiate a college game.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I am also transitioning to College ball. I am doing Juco and oddly enough I wasn't selected to do D1 while I was at a camp, but they called me to asked if I would welcome doing a scrimmage to get another look at. Has this ever happened to anyone. To be asked after weeks after the camp took place?

Last edited by REFVA; Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 11:23am.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
I am also transitioning to College ball. I am doing Juco and oddly enough I wasn't selected to do D1 while I was at a camp, but they called me just asked if I would welcome to do a scrimmage to get another look at. Has this ever happened to anyone. To be asked after weeks after the camp took place?

Hm... Let's see..... Do I know anyone that this has happened to?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I was told that if you are not selected by the end of the camp, pack it up and try harder for next year.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Well, I was told that if you are not selected by the end of the camp, pack it up and try harder for next year.
My comment wasn't aimed at you. It was a jibe at a friend of mine who looks at this board occasionally. It has to do with something that happened in the last year or two (sheez, my memory is getting bad!) that I like to kid him/her about!
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am also transitioning to College ball. I am doing Juco and oddly enough I wasn't selected to do D1 while I was at a camp, but they called me to asked if I would welcome doing a scrimmage to get another look at. Has this ever happened to anyone. To be asked after weeks after the camp took place?

From JUCO to D1? Shouldn't we be trying to climb the ladder one rung at a time?

Juco
Div III
Div II (If in your area of the country)
Div I

There is a huge difference from JUCO to D-3 let alone D-1 ball.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
So if you were working a Juco game and a D1 assignor met you after the game and said he was impressed and wanted you on his/her staff, you'd turn it down?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
LOL.

(How do I get around the "message too short" warning? )
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I went to the development camp for a D1 camp. I had no expectation to get picked up. I was surprised when I got the call. I guess they feel that I may have the tools.