The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Wink Basket-ball in America

hi!I'm a french student and I have a homework to do about basket-ball and I choose to make it on the importance of this sport in the American culture. So I'd like you just to tell me why you like this sport and why this is so important to you.
Thanks.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I belive you'll have to try and narrow down the question a bit, and also, this is an officiating board. I belive this question is better suited for a fan board (wich there are loads off) we discuss rules and officiating, this typ of question is more of a fan question so I suggest you ask a fan insted of us refs
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I think there are about as many reasons it is popular as there are people. Personally, there are a number of things that drew me to the game. It can be played in a variety of numbers. I grew up in a small town so it was hard coming up with numbers to play football or baseball. 2 of us could get together and we had enough to play. I also think basketball is the closest thing to a perfect blend between athletic and mental ability. A smart player can be as valuable (or more valuable) than an athletic player and vice versa. I think the game models American culture in that it can be highly individualistic and artistic, but the team has to work together, much like the priniciples our nation was founded upon. Just my $.02 of course. Interesting to hear this as an assignment. I've always thought that baseball more closely mirrored American society, but as time has progressed, I think basktball might be taking over to a certain extent.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Read up on Tony Parker of the Spurs. He is from France. I'm sure there are some interesting stories about him in the French media. Find out what drew him to the game coming from that part of the world.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
Read up on Tony Parker of the Spurs. He is from France. I'm sure there are some interesting stories about him in the French media. Find out what drew him to the game coming from that part of the world.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/game/fa..._act_news=4781

here's a good link if you want stuff to write about tony
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 11:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by malycia
hi!I'm a french student and I have a homework to do about basket-ball and I choose to make it on the importance of this sport in the American culture. So I'd like you just to tell me why you like this sport and why this is so important to you.
Thanks.
I like this sport because it's an American sport invented by a Canadian. The French had nothing to do with it, even though they think FEEBLE rules the sport.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I think it is part of the American Dream. As a kid, all you need is a ball and a hoop. You don't even need a second person. You can win NCAA, HS & NBA championships with spectacular buzzer-beating shots. It does not take a fortune to be able to play. Even if you do not realize those dreams as you grow up, you still have a seemingly unending opportunity to play for as long as your body lets you....and you still can go out in the driveway by yourself and win all of those championships.

As officials, most of us played the game and some still do. There is a lot of strategy involved whether you are a player, coach or official. Officials have an opportunity to stay close to the game for a long period of their lives. Of course, when we watch games we see them in a totally different light from others. I can imagine what the play by play and color would be like if say BBR & Rut or any number of the regular posters pre-empted Nantz & Packer on CBS. [See, I am still dreaming even now.]
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
I can imagine what the play by play and color would be like if say BBR & Rut or any number of the regular posters pre-empted Nantz & Packer on CBS. [See, I am still dreaming even now.][/QUOTE]
I'd love that. It still doesnt make sense why networks dont add another analyist, an official who can explain the technicalities of the rules when they come up, instead of having former players who never knew the rules try to explain it. Add a 3rd person to the team if you will.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Basketball is one of the most accessible sports. Not a lot of money required to get started, lots of different abilities can play, and it's an interesting combination of skills -- strength, speed, agility, cunning and wit, coordination, teamwork, and so on. I think it's this combination that makes it the most interesting to the widest variety of people.

Baseball is too slow, hockey is too fast, football is too rough, golf is too effete, volleyball is too difficult to start out in, track and field events are too specialized. Basketball is like the little bear -- it's just right.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzzy07
It still doesnt make sense why networks dont add another analyist, an official who can explain the technicalities of the rules when they come up, instead of having former players who never knew the rules try to explain it. Add a 3rd person to the team if you will.
One of the networks tried this, years ago. They had Earl Strom as part of their NBA broadcasting team. His expertise just wasn't called on often enough to make it worth keeping him around. I think only other referees think this is a good idea. Nobody else really cares if the announcers get the rule right.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 02:02pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
, golf is too effete,

Wisdom consists in having a lot to say....and not saying it.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
, golf is too effete,

Wisdom consists in having a lot to say....and not saying it.
Good one, Gappie!