The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
I have seen this question before but can't find the thread.

Here is the situation: A1 is shooting free throws, any type. B1 steps in the lane too soon, delayed violation. Then a player from team A steps in too soon.

Edit: A2 and B1 enter lane at same time, both early. What is done?

What is the proper procedure? Cancel the free throw, shoot the next free throw if more are to be given, if not would you go to the arrow?

Another free throw question: Late in game, team A leading. Team A shooting free throws with no players from team A on the lane. Team B occupies 3 spaces, all normal spaces but only one of the bottom two spaces are occupied. Is this a delay of game, T, or delayed free throw violation? I'm thinking delay of game or T.

Please help me clear these up, some rules or case references would be greatly appreciated so I can look at my books when I get home.

[Edited by lukealex on Feb 28th, 2006 at 10:34 PM]
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 10:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
1) B1 steps in the lane too soon, delayed violation. Then a player from team A steps in too soon.

2)Team A shooting free throws with no players from team A on the lane. Team B occupies 3 spaces, all normal spaces but only one of the bottom two spaces are occupied. Is this a delay of game, T, or delayed free throw violation? I'm thinking delay of game or T.

1) Delayed violation on B1 only. Ignore the second violation by the A player on the lane. Rule 9-1PENALTY 4(a).

2) Delayed free-throw violation.Rule 9-1-2 and PENALTY 2.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have seen this question before but can't find the thread.

Here is the situation: A1 is shooting free throws, any type. B1 steps in the lane too soon, delayed violation. Then a player from team A steps in too soon.

What is the proper procedure? Cancel the free throw, shoot the next free throw if more are to be given, if not would you go to the arrow?
This rule changed a few seasons ago. It used to be a violation by both teams, but now only the first violation along the lane is penalized and the second is ignored.
Rule 9 Violations and Penalties
SECTION 1 FREE-THROW PROVISIONS
PENALTIES: (Section 1)
4. If there is a violation first by the free-thrower's opponent followed by the free thrower or a teammate:

a. If both offenders are in a marked lane-space, the second violation is ignored, as in penalty item (2).

Quote:

Another free throw question: Late in game, team A leading. Team A shooting free throws with no players from team A on the lane. Team B occupies 3 spaces, all normal spaces but only one of the bottom two spaces are occupied. Is this a delay of game, T, or delayed free throw violation? I'm thinking delay of game or T.

Please help me clear these up, some rules or case references would be greatly appreciated so I can look at my books when I get home.
10.1.5 SITUATION C: The calling official has reported the foul and proceeds to his/her proper position for the first of two free throws awarded to A1. B1 and B2 are: (a) huddling in the lane; or (b) two B players are not occupying the first two marked spaces next to the end line as required. RULING: In (a), if the huddle delays the officials' administration, Team B is warned. The warning is recorded by the scorer and reported to the head coach. If Team B had been previously warned for free-throw delay, a technical foul shall be charged. In (b), Team B will be directed to occupy the required spaces. If there is delay, a technical foul shall be charged to Team B. (4-47)

Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If situation #2 follows a TO, then we use the Resuming Play Procedure and give the delayed violation, yes?

If it does not follow a TO, then we give the T with no warning. Correct?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
If situation #2 follows a TO, then we use the Resuming Play Procedure and give the delayed violation, yes?

If it does not follow a TO, then we give the T with no warning. Correct?
If a defender in a lower lane spot leaves that spot to line up in another spot after the FT shooter gets the ball, we give the delayed violation, yes?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
If a defender in a lower lane spot leaves that spot to line up in another spot after the FT shooter gets the ball, we give the delayed violation, yes?
Yes, but how is that relevant to the question of failing to occupy the bottom lane spaces?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but how is that relevant to the question of failing to occupy the bottom lane spaces?
The original post said that team B filled 3 slots but only one of them was the bottom slot. It didn't say when or how the slots were filled, did it?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It didn't say when or how the slots were filled, did it?
Ok, I see your point. I was assuming that the bottom spot was never filled. You're saying it's possible that it was filled but that the player was stupid enough to move out of the spot into a less advantageous spot. Hey, stranger things have happened.

If he was in the lowest spot when the shooter caught the pass from the Lead official and then moved, it's a delayed violation.

If he was in the lowest spot but moved before the shooter caught the pass from the Lead official OR if he never filled the lowest spot, then instruct him to fill the lowest spot. If he refuses, immediate T.

Thanks for typing that last post more slowly for me.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 11:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
It didn't say when or how the slots were filled, did it?
Ok, I see your point. I was assuming that the bottom spot was never filled. You're saying it's possible that it was filled but that the player was stupid enough to move out of the spot into a less advantageous spot. Hey, stranger things have happened.

If he was in the lowest spot when the shooter caught the pass from the Lead official and then moved, it's a delayed violation.

If he was in the lowest spot but moved before the shooter caught the pass from the Lead official OR if he never filled the lowest spot, then instruct him to fill the lowest spot. If he refuses, immediate T.

Thanks for typing that last post more slowly for me.
Yup, and if it's after a TO, then your answer is correct also. Iow, 3 possible answers depending on the exact timing. On further review though, I'd have to say the most likely answer would be Nevada's--tell 'em to fill the spaces and "T" 'em if they don't.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

I see where there are differences in how this could happen.

My situation was after a foul while in the bonus. The bottom two spots were never both filled. In that case, tell them to fill the spot then T if they refuse?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 06:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I see where there are differences in how this could happen.

My situation was after a foul while in the bonus. The bottom two spots were never both filled. In that case, tell them to fill the spot then T if they refuse?
Yup, as per the case play that NevadaRef cited.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
1) B1 steps in the lane too soon, delayed violation. Then a player from team A steps in too soon.

2)Team A shooting free throws with no players from team A on the lane. Team B occupies 3 spaces, all normal spaces but only one of the bottom two spaces are occupied. Is this a delay of game, T, or delayed free throw violation? I'm thinking delay of game or T.

From the rule you cited, would this be if a player left the bottom space?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 06:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

From the rule you cited, would this be if a player left the bottom space?
Yes.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're saying it's possible that it was filled but that the player was stupid enough to move out of the spot into a less advantageous spot. Hey, stranger things have happened.
Actually, this very thing happened to us last Sat. in a JUCO game. The players lined up for the first of two free throws in the first half, then B1 decides her contact is bothering her and heads back towards her bench as the ball is bounced to the shooter. So, as A1 misses the first shot, B1 is standing next to her bench trying to fix her contact, and no one is in that first spot.

Sigh. Delayed violation, A1 shoots again. Coach says, "Huh?" We explain it, he says, "Oh, yea, you're right. Good catch." No more contact problems the rest of the game.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
The players lined up for the first of two free throws in the first half, then B1 decides her contact is bothering her and heads back towards her bench as the ball is bounced to the shooter.
Since she left before the ball was at the disposal of the thrower, take the ball back and ask her (or someone else) to fill the spot.