The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

We have a couple of coaches that teach their players to grab the offensive player's jersey to prevent them from getting open.
Last year, one team was doing it all game. I talked to the refs about it, but they couldn't catch them doing it (I know it can be hard to see - especially in the post where the players are so close together.)
I told my players to knock their defender's hands off, and my center got nailed with two flagrants for it.

What would be a legal way to get a defender who is grabbing the jersey off?
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Welcome to the forum, Coach. Glad you found us here.

First off, Coach, it's very unlikely that your center got two flagrants. In HS and college ball, a flagrant foul carries automatic disqualification. In other words, you're kicked out of the game for any flagrant foul. That's just a minor point about technical terms, tho. I realize it's not the point of your question.

I can think of two legal ways to get the refs to notice the jersey being held. One, simply have your player yell, "He's holding my jersey!" It may get the official's attention. Be sure not to cry wolf, tho, or the official will just tune out your player's future complaints. Two, have your players pull away from the defender. This stretches out the jersey and gives the official a better chance of seeing the hold.

Those suggestions may or may not be helpful to you. Either way, good luck with your season.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Two, have your players pull away from the defender. This stretches out the jersey and gives the official a better chance of seeing the hold.
Also, if the player who's holding lets go so he won't get caught, the problem is solved in a different way.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry I guess it was an intentional foul, since it was away from the ball.
I just knew that they gave the other team FT's and possession!

Thanks for the advice - though my players aren't allowed to talk to the refs (they'd spend the whole game complaining if I let them!)

Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tarheelcoach
- though my players aren't allowed to talk to the refs (they'd spend the whole game complaining if I let them!)

I think it's very acceptable for a player to talk quietly to a ref at a dead ball. "Ref, could you watch #32? He's holding my jersey." This is fine with me as long as there's no attitude or criticism in the tone of voice.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

You're right, that would be fine. But MS kids go over the line quick.
My rule is if they have a problem, they tell me and I'll take it to the ref. I know what's actually important, and what's just the kids whining, and I also know how to approach a ref a little better then they do!

Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're right, that would be fine. But MS kids go over the line quick.
My rule is if they have a problem, they tell me and I'll take it to the ref. I know what's actually important, and what's just the kids whining, and I also know how to approach a ref a little better then they do!

Yea, MS. I see your point. I didn't quite catch that in the first post. I agree that it's better for you to do the talking. Although, there might be a student here or there who could start learning this skill.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

With MS you might have some continuing frustration.

Sounds like the refs MAY be doing a little "ball watching" and missing some of the "off ball" holding. Some of the "missing of the off ball" stuff is probably going to continue to occur. I'd continue to teach the kids, as you've done, to not complain and hustle through the holds; I'd mention the holds to the ref's at halftime or between quarters or when there's a lull in the action and I'd take a few moments every now and then to pray for continued patience.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Coach, this isn't the answer your looking for in order to resolve your problem, however, when you know you're about to face that team, you could have your players do some of that grabbing in practice. If you were to use a video tape, you can show your players how (as previously suggested) by pulling away it will stretch the jersey which becomes pretty obvious to the refs. Also, this will help teach your players to play thru that contact and to keep moving (be hard to guard). Though playing a team like that can be frustrating, it can also be a valuable game to help develop their skills. Besides the valuable talks you can have about the integrity of the game and sportsmanship.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Also, the angle of the "pull away" will help the ref see what is going on. If the ref is on the base line and B1 is behind A1, holding A1, if A1 moves toward the center of the court, the base line ref is less likely to see the hold. If A1 moves toward a sideline, the jersey grab will be more obvious. Have your players manuver to give the ref the best possible angle.

Know also we expect the players to play through minor inconveniences. Have them do their best to play their game and this should illuminate to us if they are really being impeded or not.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
- though my players aren't allowed to talk to the refs (they'd spend the whole game complaining if I let them!)

The last time I had a coach tell me this before the game, I ended up tossing 1 player and whacking two others.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But MS kids go over the line quick.
Middle School or Multiple Sclerosis?
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 08:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ditttoo
With MS you might have some continuing frustration.

Sounds like the refs MAY be doing a little "ball watching" and missing some of the "off ball" holding. Some of the "missing of the off ball" stuff is probably going to continue to occur. I'd continue to teach the kids, as you've done, to not complain and hustle through the holds; I'd mention the holds to the ref's at halftime or between quarters or when there's a lull in the action and I'd take a few moments every now and then to pray for continued patience.
MAY be? What is the chance that middle school officials AREN'T ball watching?
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
This is old but I'll answer anyway.
Unsportsmanlike, right away. We've been given instructions to be hard with this, we do not want the things you see in soccer and hand ball (big sport here, you might not have heard of it :P). You don't even have to be preventing movment, just trying to prevent movment by grabbing the jersey is an unsportsmanlike foul.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
We have a couple of coaches that teach their players to grab the offensive player's jersey to prevent them from getting open.
Last year, one team was doing it all game. I talked to the refs about it, but they couldn't catch them doing it (I know it can be hard to see - especially in the post where the players are so close together.)
I told my players to knock their defender's hands off, and my center got nailed with two flagrants for it.

What would be a legal way to get a defender who is grabbing the jersey off?
This could be and is in my opinion an intentional foul. There is no ligitimate play for the ball and of course if its off the ball, its a no brainer.