The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 09:27pm
BADAMFS

I was coaching a high school rules girls game in NY State this past weekend. B1 fouled A1 who was shooting a field goal attempt.The shot did not go in. Referee called a flagrant foul on B1 and awarded 4 free throws plus the ball(back to team A). I only expected 2 free throws. I missed the exact call because I was tending to a player's injury on my bench.
Was the refree correct to award FOUR free throws under any situation like this? I asked the ref who did not make the call if it was a flagrant Technical foul and he said "yes".

Does a flagrant Technical on a shooting foul (with FG attempt missing) result in 4 free throws?

(The ref awarded 4 free throws on a similair play later in the game too.)
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'd have to know a bit more about the incident, but it sounds like the penalty was administered incorrectly.

If the foul was a flagrant personal foul on the shooter, during the shooting motion, only 2 FT's should have been awarded (unless it was a 3-pt try).

If the foul was a flagrant technical (non-contact) foul on the shooter, then the basket should have been determined based on if it was made/missed. Then 2 FT's should have been awarded to any player on team A.

If a combination occurred - B1 fouled A1, and then B1 committed a flagrant technical foul (she bumps A1 on the arm, then taunts A1 flagrantly), then A1 would recieve 2 FT's for the shot (assuming it missed), and any A team player would be awarded 2 FT's for the flagrant technical.

A gets the ball back either way (because of the flagrant foul). If the flagrant is personal, then A gets the ball nearest the spot of the foul. If the flagrant foul is technical, then A gets the ball at the division line opposite the scorer's table.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 10:28pm
In Memoriam

Question Not enough information.

Quote:
Originally posted by BADAMFS
I was coaching a high school rules girls game in NY State this past weekend. B1 fouled A1 who was shooting a field goal attempt.The shot did not go in. Referee called a flagrant foul on B1 and awarded 4 free throws plus the ball(back to team A). I only expected 2 free throws. I missed the exact call because I was tending to a player's injury on my bench.
Was the refree correct to award FOUR free throws under any situation like this? I asked the ref who did not make the call if it was a flagrant Technical foul and he said "yes".

Does a flagrant Technical on a shooting foul (with FG attempt missing) result in 4 free throws?

(The ref awarded 4 free throws on a similair play later in the game too.)
You missed the first play and the second play?
I bet you wish you had had a trainer with you.
mick
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

I hope the the official at least DQ'd the player who committed the flagrant. If the ref got nothing else right, getting that part is essential.

You NEVER get FOUR FTs for a single foul!!!!!!! PERIOD. The most is three on an unsuccessful three point try. In order to get four FTs at least TWO fouls must be charged on the play. So how many team fouls were charged? That will tell you if the official got it right or not.

Also, a LIVE ball contact foul is a personal foul as Mark explained, whether it is flagrant/intentional or not.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 06:29am
BADAMFS

edited...

The foul was a flagrant personal foul on the shooter, during the shooting motion(not a 3-pt try). The player(s) did not get tossed. I saw the second foul.

I ref in CT. Game was in NY state(Brewster).

Thank you to all.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: edited...

Quote:
The foul was a flagrant personal foul on the shooter, during the shooting motion(not a 3-pt try). The player(s) did not get tossed. I saw the second foul.

Thank you to all.
Not to be to big of a smart-ellic, but why ask then? You already know the answer to your question. I have to assume there is something missing to the story or unfortunately you had an inexperienced official working your girls HS game.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 09:54am
In Memoriam

Question Re: edited...

Quote:

Thank you to all.

How do you know both fouls were flagrant fouls?
mick
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

correction ( I am the poster)

Fouls were flagrant TECHNICAL(not personal) fouls.

Fouls were when my player fouled their shooter hard.It was NOT a situation where my player taunted the player afterwards to get a Technical.The foul was all in one "action".

I know this because the ref who did not make the call later told me it was a "Flagrant Technical". My daughter/player also told me what happened during the first flagrant (that I did not see because I was facing an injured player on my bench who was just hurt in summer ball).

Bottom line looks like since the field goal attempt did not fall,any player on offensive team should have been able to shoot two FTs. Shooting team then gets the ball at half court.Ref gave Two EXTRA free throws to them twice in a 3 point loss by us.

I'm learning,thanks to your replies.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

The correct ruling should have been a personal foul, not a technical foul He could certainly rule the foul either flagrant or intentional if he chose to. But the foul should have been personal, as it was a live ball, contact foul. 2 FTs by the shooter and the ball for the shooter's team would be the correct penalty. No other player would be allowed to shoot.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The correct ruling should have been a personal foul, not a technical foul He could certainly rule the foul either flagrant or intentional if he chose to. But the foul should have been personal, as it was a live ball, contact foul. 2 FTs by the shooter and the ball for the shooter's team would be the correct penalty. No other player would be allowed to shoot.
...unless the fouled player was injured in which case her substitute would shoot the free throws and we would inbound the ball on the baseline, in this case.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 07:37pm
In Memoriam

This whole deal looks like a shooting foul followed by a hard intentional foul after the miss-n-foul.
Two separate actions.
Two shots to shooter for the miss and two more for the second action [possibly by the same defender].

mick
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 07:41pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: correction ( I am the poster)

Quote:
Originally posted by CTom
I'm learning,thanks to your replies.
By the way, thanks for making that change, CTom.
mick
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I'm still not quite clear on the situation. Was there one foul or two? Your first post makes it seem like one foul, but later you talk about the "first" and "second" foul. If there were two fouls, when did they happen and what, if anything, happened in between them?
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
...unless the fouled player was injured in which case her substitute would shoot the free throws and we would inbound the ball on the baseline, in this case.
I based my response on what was written, not what else might possibly happen. He said nothing about the shooter being injured.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Aug 10th, 2005 at 10:01 AM]

Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
I'm still not quite clear on the situation. Was there one foul or two? Your first post makes it seem like one foul, but later you talk about the "first" and "second" foul. If there were two fouls, when did they happen and what, if anything, happened in between them?
There was one foul, two different plays.