The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have a question. I am coaching a 5th/6th grade team in Kentucky that uses the Kentucky High School rules as its basis for its own rules. My father coaches in Indiana at the High School level and I seem to remember several years back that they did away with a five second rule. I can't remember if it was closely guarded, stopped dribble, or what. I tried to tell an official about it after he called something on one of my players and he said I was crazy. I was not sure if I misheard, or if Kentucky HS rules are different, or if I was correct. Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:14pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Still have 5-seconds here and everywhere. We actually all use NFHS rules in HS, some modify slightly.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, thanks! Maybe I was thinking about something maybe like 5 seconds holding the ball BEFORE you dribble? Is there a rule about that? I mean, can you hold the ball for only 5 seconds closely guarded before you dribble? Or can you hold that as long as you want and then once you dribble it is 5 and 5 closesly guarded?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Burrdawg
Okay, thanks! Maybe I was thinking about something maybe like 5 seconds holding the ball BEFORE you dribble? Is there a rule about that? I mean, can you hold the ball for only 5 seconds closely guarded before you dribble? Or can you hold that as long as you want and then once you dribble it is 5 and 5 closesly guarded?
No, you can hold for 4.9, dribble for 4.9 then hold again for 4.9 - while being closely guarded, of course.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the help.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Burrdawg
I tried to tell an official about it after he called something on one of my players and he said I was crazy. I was not sure if I misheard, or if Kentucky HS rules are different, or if I was correct. Can anyone please help me with this?
Yup, you're crazy.

Couldn't help myself.

Mark Padgett gave you the rule. It's been the same way since the 70's or early 80's. Long time iow.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Womans NCAA

I am pretty sure that there is no 5 seconds while dribbling in Womans college basketball....maybe you are playing NCAA Womens rules .
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Re: Womans NCAA

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef
I am pretty sure that there is no 5 seconds while dribbling in Womans college basketball....
That's correct. Also, the 5 second count while holding the ball applies anywhere on the court. (In NCAAM, it only applies in the frontcourt.)
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the help. I got on the web and noticed that there was some chatter at the April NFHS meetings about doing away with some of the 5 second rules, but that no action was taken.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Well here in the Edmonton area (no laughter please) we use federation mechanics with NCAA rules with modifications. The 5 second closely guarded rule applies only in the front court and only while the ball is held, not dribbled. Now throw in a little FIBA - no handle in the back court....well you get the idea.

Keith
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 08:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by keithb
Well here in the Edmonton area (no laughter please) we use federation mechanics with NCAA rules with modifications. The 5 second closely guarded rule applies only in the front court and only while the ball is held, not dribbled. Now throw in a little FIBA - no handle in the back court....well you get the idea.

Lah me, Keith, didn't they have a few NBA rules hanging around that they coulda thrown at you too?

Btw, welcome to the forum.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
One thing that has changed about counting 5-seconds regards the inbound. It used to be that once the inbounder had the ball, the inbounds pass had to be touched on the court within five seconds. Now the inbounds pass merely has to be released within five seconds.

Doesn't sounds like that's what you're talking about, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

This kinda goes along with this topic so I thought I'd better put it in here istead of a new thread.

I run the scoreboard in adult league and this call was made and argued vehemently. There was about a minute to go in the game and A1 had passed the ball in to A2. A2 holds the ball but no one on Team B comes out to guard him. After 5 seconds the official calls him for what he explain as "5 second held ball rule", saying that you couldn't hold the ball for 5 seconds no matter if closely guarded or not. Is this the correct call?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnsatchmo
This kinda goes along with this topic so I thought I'd better put it in here istead of a new thread.

I run the scoreboard in adult league and this call was made and argued vehemently. There was about a minute to go in the game and A1 had passed the ball in to A2. A2 holds the ball but no one on Team B comes out to guard him. After 5 seconds the official calls him for what he explain as "5 second held ball rule", saying that you couldn't hold the ball for 5 seconds no matter if closely guarded or not. Is this the correct call?
Only in the adult league where you run the scoreboard.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Only in the adult league where you run the scoreboard. [/B]
Is that supposed to be condescending or something?