The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am confused about illegal screens. Is it possible to have a Violation and not a foul when calling an illegal screen?
Example; Setting a pick to the rear of a defensive player (Blind Screen) and not allowing room for the defender to take on normal step back. Or setting a screen and then sliding sideways to further blaock the defender. Are these violations?
vs.
Setting a screen and as the defender runs by, throwing out an elbow to stop or slow him down, which would be a foul, not an illegal screen. Correct?
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Close to right

Your first paragraph gives examples of what could be called illegal screens (BLOCK!)

The second paragraph is an example of a foul. (illegal hands, or hold, or perhaps intentional foul; your choice )

what most coaches/players want to call an illegal screen is two offensive players running side by side... "That's nothing coach!"
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

The answer to your question is NO. there is no violation. On a moving screen it is a definite foul - I would prefer to call these fouls as "holds". The blind screen is a "block". As DDTB said the elbow could be called a number of things including intentional or flagrant
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:59pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Gotta have contact.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnyd
I am confused about illegal screens. Is it possible to have a Violation and not a foul when calling an illegal screen?
Example; Setting a pick to the rear of a defensive player (Blind Screen) and not allowing room for the defender to take on normal step back. Or setting a screen and then sliding sideways to further blaock the defender. Are these violations?
vs.
Setting a screen and as the defender runs by, throwing out an elbow to stop or slow him down, which would be a foul, not an illegal screen. Correct?
johnyd,
Welcome to the forum.
Given enough contact, a foul may be called.
Absent contact, eventhough the defender may have had to adjust normal guarding action to avoid the contact, there is no foul or violation
mick
Old Sat Oct 09, 2004, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

And, to be perfectly clear...

Screening is never a violation. It is either a foul (as has been well covered already), or it is nothing.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Ok..I think I understand the screening rules pretty well, but what restrictions are there on the screened player? For example, A1 sets a screen on moving defender B1. A1 is stationary, and gives B1 2 strides. B1 contacts A1 in a horrendous crash. Is this a foul on B1? Is this always a foul if the screened player makes any type contact with the screener, or does it have to be fairly violent??
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 09:45am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Ok..I think I understand the screening rules pretty well, but what restrictions are there on the screened player? For example, A1 sets a screen on moving defender B1. A1 is stationary, and gives B1 2 strides. B1 contacts A1 in a horrendous crash. Is this a foul on B1? Is this always a foul if the screened player makes any type contact with the screener, or does it have to be fairly violent??
FrankHtown
The screened player must make an *attempt to avoid* screener.
(ie, The screened player may not push through, pull through, grab through, hack through the screen.)

If an "attempt to avoid is made", I will not generally call illegal contact unless there is that "horrendous crash".
mick
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
In addition to what Mick said, if A1 is setting a blind screen, then you can have fairly violent contact that's not illegal.