The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have heard there will be another 3-person State Clinic here on the east side of the Cascades (required for State playoff assignments)...possibly held in October...any information on this?
Richland, WA
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure, but you can call Todd Stordahl at the WOA office to get the facts:

http://www.wiaa.com/woa/

Z
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 01:46pm
Esteemed Participant

They have added a couple of one-day clinics, and I believe one of them is on the east side...I can try to get the dates and locations and post them for you...
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 02:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Oops...guess they are not one-day camps...here are the dates and places...

Oct. 22-24 in Seattle
Oct. 29-31 in Spokane
Nov. 5-7 in Tacoma

Gotta be there Friday evening thru Sunday afternoon...I think it costs $100 or something like that...hope that helps RookieDude...
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Z

Did you hear how the 3 person Meeting went that was held on Aug 3 by the WIAA?

I don't know anyone that attended and wanted to know what they talked about.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Oops...guess they are not one-day camps...here are the dates and places...

Oct. 22-24 in Seattle
Oct. 29-31 in Spokane
Nov. 5-7 in Tacoma

Gotta be there Friday evening thru Sunday afternoon...I think it costs $100 or something like that...hope that helps RookieDude...
Thanks guys...I just received an e from an assignor over here with the dates confirming what is stated here.

We have to make a first, second and third choice to be quaranteed a spot from what I understand.

I will probably make Seattle my first choice...then Spokane even though Spokane is closer. Seattle works out better for my work schedule.
Anybody else here going to one of these clinics? If so, looking forward to meeting you.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smoref
Z

Did you hear how the 3 person Meeting went that was held on Aug 3 by the WIAA?

I don't know anyone that attended and wanted to know what they talked about.
Jim Shaw was the only one from our assoc that attended. Call or e-mail him. From what I understand, not much happened. The officials association still wants to make e-person move forward and the schools are still resisting. Officials like it, but aren't thrilled about the pay cut. Same ol', same ol'. Stalemate.

It's mandatory at state so we'll have a bunch of officials who do 2-person all year long and then try to make the switch at state. It won't be pretty when there are times in games with 2 leads at the state tournament. :-)

Z
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I was at a training clinic last night and the scuttlebutt for the west side is almost all leagues are balking at the idea.

I heard, the problem was the 3-person was communicated to them at the end of the summer and most were not ready to jump on the wagon.

I suspect that we will do more 2 then 3 this year and we will see 3 at league and district playoffs before heading to state.

I will be going to a state tourney somewhere this season....I think B in Spokane of 2A in Yakima.....two I haven't been to yet.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ron Pilo [QUOTE]
I was at a training clinic last night and the scuttlebutt for the west side is almost all leagues are balking at the idea.

Yep.

I heard, the problem was the 3-person was communicated to them at the end of the summer and most were not ready to jump on the wagon.

Not true. Todd Stordahl has being working with them and communicating with them about this for years and almost non-stop since the end of last season. The schools are balking because they don't want to get hit with an officiating price increase after the 3-year trial period. They are satisfied with 2-person officiating and think it's a waste to pay for 3.

I suspect that we will do more 2 then 3 this year and we will see 3 at league and district playoffs before heading to state.

I have heard only 2-person at districts too. Just 3-person at state but I don't think that's hammered out yet.

I will be going to a state tourney somewhere this season....I think B in Spokane of 2A in Yakima.....two I haven't been to yet.

Good luck Ron. You should do well since you do 3-person for JC ball. The refs who do strictly high school ball have no chance at looking good in 3-person after doing 2-person all year. I expect another state championship from you. I just went two years in a row so I'll be sitting this year's state tournaments out.

Z
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 12:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Interesting...the 2A, 3A, and 4A schools down here have all agreed to have 3-person crews for all JV and Varsity contests...we did some fooling around and end up saving the schools some money while making more for the evening for the three officials - of course, that means the crew does both JV and Varsity games that night...so our guys who go to State should be looking good !!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Interesting...the 2A, 3A, and 4A schools down here have all agreed to have 3-person crews for all JV and Varsity contests...we did some fooling around and end up saving the schools some money while making more for the evening for the three officials - of course, that means the crew does both JV and Varsity games that night...so our guys who go to State should be looking good !!
Yep, your guys will have a huge advantage over the areas of the state where 3-person isn't done in the regular season.

Z
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I know it's pretty crazy for us....you would think that the largest metro area in the state would step and lead the way.......I hope someone somewhere makes a good decision to "make it so number one". I guess we will let Todd deal with it........