The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

In a 6th grade tournament I recently reffed, a girl was wearing volleyball style knee pads. NFHS rule 3-5 states that "knee and ankle BRACES are allowed.." I allowed the knee pads because they created no advantage/disadvantage and the girl was 6'1 53 pounds and probably needed them. How do you interpret the rule?
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Legal.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 11:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by coach/ref
In a 6th grade tournament I recently reffed, a girl was wearing volleyball style knee pads. NFHS rule 3-5 states that "knee and ankle BRACES are allowed.." I allowed the knee pads because they created no advantage/disadvantage and the girl was 6'1 53 pounds and probably needed them. How do you interpret the rule?

I do not think that R3-S5 has anything to do with knee pads. All one has to do is look at pictures of some of the earliest teams to play the game and one will see that everybody wore knee pads.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 01:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

I do not think that R3-S5 has anything to do with knee pads. All one has to do is look at pictures of some of the earliest teams to play the game and one will see that everybody wore knee pads.
I wore knee pads only in the 7th grade. 1960. 43 years ago.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 01:50am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Quote:

And I thought you were telling everybody that the girls loved your cute knees, why would you hide them behind knee pads.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
...the girl was 6'1 53 pounds...
I hope this is an exaggeration, or a typo. I can't imagine a human being alive at this proportion, much less playing basketball.

Oh, I see. Did you mean six feet tall and one hundred and fifty three pounds? The space is in the wrong place?
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 02:24am
We don't rent pigs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Quote:

And I thought you were telling everybody that the girls loved your cute knees, why would you hide them behind knee pads.
Perhaps to protect them and keep them cute?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 03:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
[/B]
[/B][/QUOTE]Mick was shy. After all, he was only 17 years old.

Sorry,mick. Debbil made me do it!
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 07:44am
In Memoriam

Post Yabut

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
[/B]
Mick was shy. After all, he was only 17 years old.

[/B][/QUOTE]

...Regardless, I only wore them one year.
Very red. Went great with my orange and black uniform.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I hope this is an exaggeration, or a typo. I can't imagine a human being alive at this proportion, much less playing basketball.

Oh, I see. Did you mean six feet tall and one hundred and fifty three pounds? The space is in the wrong place?
6'1 53 lb female sounds like what some folks call "supermodel" these days.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Dan -- I know you're just joking, and I'm not offended, but I really can't laugh. The ravages of the various "thin end" eating disorders are very difficult to overcome, and can be permanently damaging. It's only tragic and never to be taken lightly. Except for a very, very few very short women, the word "super" should never be applied to any adult weight under 100 pounds. It's just not healthy.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dan -- I know you're just joking, and I'm not offended, but I really can't laugh. The ravages of the various "thin end" eating disorders are very difficult to overcome, and can be permanently damaging. It's only tragic and never to be taken lightly. Except for a very, very few very short women, the word "super" should never be applied to any adult weight under 100 pounds. It's just not healthy.
It was not meant as a joke, I agree it's a serious problem and what's being promoted as the "ideal" female body type these days borders on criminal.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was not meant as a joke, I agree it's a serious problem and what's being promoted as the "ideal" female body type these days borders on criminal.

Hmmm....

That's twice in the last few days when I mis-interpreted a post of yours. I'm sorry. I'm not sure why it's happening, but I'll try to be a little less cynical in the future.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 05:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm....

That's twice in the last few days when I mis-interpreted a post of yours. I'm sorry. I'm not sure why it's happening, but I'll try to be a little less cynical in the future.
Jewel,
Trust your partner.
mick
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm....

Maybe we should avoid discussing God and supermodels?