The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Greetings, fellow mortals . . .

Under Federation rules, what say you about a clear, hard plastic, like what's-his-face for Jersey wore against the Celtics in playoffs a few years ago, broken nose protector?

I reasoned thusly. It wasn't on the arms/wrists/hands . . . so it escaped that clear cut injunction, verbotten even if padded.

The rest of the 'player equipment' rule basically says . . uh oh, BBR, I hear your footsteps . . . if, in the official's opinion it's dangerous, then no. I would have to say that, while players shouldn't ought to be hitting each other in the face, clearly that happends, and this rig would be a little more dangerous to hit than just a good old face. Probably.

That's what I told the coach, who then said - Sir, think rec specs. Not bad! They're not as hard . . . so the analogy wasn't perfect, although glasses are, and players wear those She was very well behaved - said her father was an attorney, so she was used to arguing.

In this low level game, we allowed it. Did we do wrong?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 03:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Let them play.

I see no rules that prohibit it. I would allow it. I have seen it at the other levels and unless there is a specific ruling, I am letting them wear it and play.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 03:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef

Under Federation rules, what say you about a clear, hard plastic, like what's-his-face for Jersey wore against the Celtics in playoffs a few years ago, broken nose protector?

Casebook play 3.5SitA- Player Equipment- "A protector for a broken nose, even though it is made of hard material, is permissible if it does not extend so as to endanger others, if it is not sharp and if it has no cutting edges". It also says that football facemasks and helmets are not acceptable. It is up to the referee to rule on the legality of the protective equipment.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, JR.

I tried reading the relevant section on the spot at the game . . . but missed that.