The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Study question:
On the jump ball to start the game, A5 forcefully taps the ball toward his own basket. The ball rebounds off the backboard and into A's goal. Ruling: A5's goal counts for 2 pts.

We hashed this one out last night while studying for tomorrow nights test and couldn't agree on the answer. How about some insight from the old pros.
Thanks,
Barry
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 06:33pm
In Memoriam

3 points if last touched by A5 outside the 3-point line. See casebook plays 5.2.1SitB & 5.2.1SitC(c).
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
I don't have my new rule books yet so don't quote my on this..... but somwhere down the line I thought that in order for it to count as 3 points.... It had to be a shot or an attempt or a try... however you want to say it. Would this explain your answer?
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 08:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
I don't have my new rule books yet so don't quote my on this..... but somwhere down the line I thought that in order for it to count as 3 points.... It had to be a shot or an attempt or a try... however you want to say it. Would this explain your answer?
If I am not mistaken, this was changed last year or the year before to eliminate the judgment call about whether or not it was a shot. Therefore, now if the alley-oop from midcourt goes in untouched, it does count 3.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 09:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
From casebook play 5.2.1SitC(c)- "score three points since the legal touch by a teammate occured behind the three-point line". From casebook play 5.2.1B- "A ball that is thrown into a team's own goal from behind the three-point arc scores three points, regardless of whether the thrown ball was an actual try for goal".
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cropduster
Study question:
On the jump ball to start the game, A5 forcefully taps the ball toward his own basket. The ball rebounds off the backboard and into A's goal. Ruling: A5's goal counts for 2 pts.

We hashed this one out last night while studying for tomorrow nights test and couldn't agree on the answer. How about some insight from the old pros.
Thanks,
Barry
Like I will ever see that happen in a game.

-A bad pass going in the hoop yes. Tip of the jump ball? Whatever.

Here's a question I read last year but can't remember the answer. Ball is last touched by A1 behind the 3 point line bounces inside the line and then goes in the hoop. how many points? I don't think I will see this either but for a test what is the answer?
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 09:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
[/B]
Here's a question I read last year but can't remember the answer. Ball is last touched by A1 behind the 3 point line bounces inside the line and then goes in the hoop. how many points? I don't think I will see this either but for a test what is the answer?

[/B][/QUOTE]Two points. The 3 point try ended when the try/touch/tap hit the floor. See the language in casebook play 5.1.1Sit for this one.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

The jump ball going in is a tap . . .

and a tap is a try. 3 points.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Now for the AP arrow!

Another good question about this play would be: When is the AP arrow initially set and toward the basket of which team is it pointed?

I believe that a part (d.) needs to be added to 4-3-3 to cover this play.
I have thought about and I can testify that this play is possible because a friend of mine who has officiated for 20+ years once had a basket off the jump occur in one of his games. On that play the tapped ball hit the floor before going in, though.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: The jump ball going in is a tap . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
and a tap is a try. 3 points.
Hmmm...I don't think so.

4-40-5
A tap for goal is the contacting of the ball with any part of a player's hand(s) in an attempt to direct the ball into his/her basket.

I don't see how we can consider a jump ball a "tap for goal."

But it is a 3 if it goes in per the rule JR quoted earlier.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Re: Now for the AP arrow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Another good question about this play would be: When is the AP arrow initially set and toward the basket of which team is it pointed?

I believe that a part (d.) needs to be added to 4-3-3 to cover this play.
I have thought about and I can testify that this play is possible because a friend of mine who has officiated for 20+ years once had a basket off the jump occur in one of his games. On that play the tapped ball hit the floor before going in, though.
I'd say 4-3-1 covers it - "A player secures control of the ball, as after the jump ball." - when B1 grabs the ball after the basket, team A gets the arrow.

I think that 4-3-3 also covers it well, and I'd be willing to use 2-3 to extrapolate that rule to a part d.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

3 points and the arrow?

Sound a little perverse, don't it?
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
If anyone sees this during the season i wanna hear about it. But it must have happend to be in the rule book!
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

I'd say 4-3-1 covers it - "A player secures control of the ball, as after the jump ball." - when B1 grabs the ball after the basket, team A gets the arrow.
Mark,
Like I said I have a friend that had this happen in a game, so I have thought about it for a while. He and I concluded that a part (d) is necessary.

The play is not as simple as you make it seem.
For example, what if the five players on Team B are so stunned and confused by the ball going through the basket that none of them go over and get the ball. The astute official sees the ball is available to them and starts a five second count. He then reaches five and calls the violation. Now who will be the first to secure the ball of the jump?
So do you still think that 4-3-1 covers it?
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 06:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Mark,
Like I said I have a friend that had this happen in a game, so I have thought about it for a while. He and I concluded that a part (d) is necessary.

The play is not as simple as you make it seem.
For example, what if the five players on Team B are so stunned and confused by the ball going through the basket that none of them go over and get the ball. The astute official sees the ball is available to them and starts a five second count. He then reaches five and calls the violation. Now who will be the first to secure the ball of the jump?
So do you still think that 4-3-1 covers it?

I do.