The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Appeal play..Brewers vs Marlins (Video)

Segura's heads-up baserunning | brewers.com

It appears that the umpires got this one right on the field.
My question is, if video evidence contradicted the on-field ruling (that the runner did not miss 1st base), could MLB's replay process have been used since there was a subsequent play (the runner advancing to 3rd)?

Last edited by APG; Fri Sep 12, 2014 at 12:39pm. Reason: embed
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Segura's heads-up baserunning | brewers.com

It appears that the umpires got this one right on the field.
My question is, if video evidence contradicted the on-field ruling (that the runner did not miss 1st base), could MLB's replay process have been used since there was a subsequent play (the runner advancing to 3rd)?
As usual MLB umps don't put ball in play but it's understood.
Pitcher could have stopped his throw to 1B and then thrown to 3B or walked over to 3B to appeal runner.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

I think RB's question is one of proceedure. The Umpires cannot go to review after a sucseeding play. Does the appeal play, and the runner's steal of 3rd mean that the manager could not have appealed to New York on the missed base at first. Or was the appeal and steal action a continuation of the original play, so still could have been appealed to replay review.

Logic says they should consider it a single play, but then when has logic been a part of baseball.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
I think RB's question is one of proceedure. The Umpires cannot go to review after a sucseeding play. Does the appeal play, and the runner's steal of 3rd mean that the manager could not have appealed to New York on the missed base at first. Or was the appeal and steal action a continuation of the original play, so still could have been appealed to replay review.

Logic says they should consider it a single play, but then when has logic been a part of baseball.
You are correct. My question was one of procedure regarding a New York replay.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Major League Baseball Replay Review Regulations

Challenging and Reviewing Calls Pursuant to Replay Review

D.Timing of Manager Challenges and Crew Chief Reviews.

1. Except as otherwise set forth in Sections II.D.2-4 below, to be timely, a Manager must exercise his challenge (by verbal communication to the appropriate Umpire), or the Crew Chief must initiate Replay Review (if applicable pursuant to Section II.C above) before the commencement of the next play or pitch. Such challenge or request will be considered timely only if the Umpire acknowledges that communication within the time period specified above. For purposes of these Regulations, the next "play" shall commence when the pitcher is on the rubber preparing to start his delivery and the batter has entered the batter's box (unless the defensive team initiates an appeal play in which case any call made during the play prior to the appeal still may be subject to Replay Review). A challenge to a play that ends the game must be invoked immediately upon the conclusion of the play, and both Clubs shall remain in their dugouts until the Replay Official issues his decision. No substitutions or pitching changes may take place while the Umpires are in the process of invoking Replay Review.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
unless the defensive team initiates an appeal play in which case any call made during the play prior to the appeal still may be subject to Replay Review"
So, since he standard appeal play happened concurrent with R2's advance to 3rd, would the defense have been allowed to ask for a video replay appeal for a potential missed base at 1b even though R2's advance to 3rd constituted a "play".?
Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, since he standard appeal play happened concurrent with R2's advance to 3rd, would the defense have been allowed to ask for a video replay appeal for a potential missed base at 1b even though R2's advance to 3rd constituted a "play".?
I doubt anyone here can answer for certain, but I would think so. the "video challenge" is of the appeal -- you can't ask for the video challenge on missing the base until after you've appealed, so the "play clock" can't start until then.

(Suppose the appeal out had been called -- it wouldn't make sense to deny the offense the chance for the video challenge at this point under the "a play happened" time frame, so you should allow the defense the same time frame)
Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder what the umpire-only discussion was about. I wouldn't expect that on a traditional appeal play.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2014, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know the answer, but logic would dictate that a challenge, if upheld would call the runner out on appeal and negate the advance. Why a challenge would be made in the 3rd inning of a scoreless game, I have no idea.
Old Sun Sep 21, 2014, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wonder what the umpire-only discussion was about. I wouldn't expect that on a traditional appeal play.
Perhaps it was similar to the discussion going on here.