The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 15, 2014, 12:10am
AremRed

Interesting play in SD-STL

Not sure what the umpire was doing on this play.

Padres challenge play at home | MLB.com
Old Fri Aug 15, 2014, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

The one think I could possibly defend for the out is runner leaving his baseline. At 45ft I have the runner at the edge of the grass in foul territory, and at the time of the tag 3-5ft onto the grass.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2014, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

When the tag was attempted, the runner was not going toward the plate but actually in a line away from it. You'll see Davidson point to that on the attempted tag. After relaxed play at the plate, you'll again see Davidson point to the area where the runner was out of his established baseline. Good call IMO.
Old Sat Aug 16, 2014, 01:22am
AremRed

If the ump was pointing that the runner went out of the line he didn't sell it at all. If the runner went out of the path, why wait until the catcher and runner race to the plate? Shouldn't you call the out as soon as it occurs? I wish I could understand what you baseball guys think when you see this play -- as an outsider I see an ump who doesn't know what call to make and that looks really bad. He even asks the catcher "did you touch him?".
Old Sat Aug 16, 2014, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
If the ump was pointing that the runner went out of the line he didn't sell it at all. If the runner went out of the path, why wait until the catcher and runner race to the plate? Shouldn't you call the out as soon as it occurs? I wish I could understand what you baseball guys think when you see this play -- as an outsider I see an ump who doesn't know what call to make and that looks really bad. He even asks the catcher "did you touch him?".
Shit happens. And the world is not perfect. I wish I could understand you perfectionist who believe the world is centered around your opinion. What profession are you in that you perform perfectly everyday of your life. Do we come to your job everyday and analyse your performance. And then plaster it all over the media to point out you imperfections for the day.

How many inning have you played or umpired in your life?

My best advise to you is ! Show up, keep up, shut up
Old Sun Aug 17, 2014, 12:24am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Shit happens. And the world is not perfect. I wish I could understand you perfectionist who believe the world is centered around your opinion. What profession are you in that you perform perfectly everyday of your life. Do we come to your job everyday and analyse your performance. And then plaster it all over the media to point out you imperfections for the day.

How many inning have you played or umpired in your life?

My best advise to you is ! Show up, keep up, shut up
Thank you for your polite and reasoned response. I always enjoy posting on the Baseball Forum.
Old Sun Aug 17, 2014, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Lesson to be learned: Sell your call, and don't look like you don't know what just happened. It's okay to miss close calls, we all do. But if Balkin' Bob had pointed at the tag, and called him out (instead of following it to the plate, watching for the tag there, THEN weakly point to the other spot, and calling him OUT) then he wouldn't have looked so bad.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2014, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

There is zero chance he's out of his basepath on this play. Bad judgement on the part of the review official.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 18, 2014, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Thank you for your polite and reasoned response. I always enjoy posting on the Baseball Forum.
Your welcome.
Old Mon Aug 18, 2014, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
When the tag was attempted, the runner was not going toward the plate but actually in a line away from it. You'll see Davidson point to that on the attempted tag. After relaxed play at the plate, you'll again see Davidson point to the area where the runner was out of his established baseline. Good call IMO.
I agree with that - good call. Announcers are idiots - if they would watch Davidson's mouth he says "out, he's out of the baseline" - mechanics not good but we've all done stuff like that before where our body doesn't react to what our brain is telling us.

His baseline is from where he is to the plate and the runner obviously violates that.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Bob to catcher: Did you tag him?
Catcher: Ah, sure.
Bob: He's out, over there somewhere.

HE ASKED THE CATCHER IF HE TAGGED HIM!!!!!

Are you kidding me? I'm firing a Junior umpire if he does that (or at least yelling at him)

p.s. feel free to shave before you go to work, sir.

Last edited by kylejt; Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 12:42am.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2014, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Regardless of what happened on this play, it is my personal and professional opinion that Bob Davidson should not be allowed anywhere on a professional baseball field. He is a terrible umpire.

How he got let back into the game after several much more qualified MLB Umpire resignees were not permitted back is a travesty.

Davidson, Hernandez, Bucknor--they're an embarrassment to the game. Just my worthless 2 cents, of course.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2014, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
Regardless of what happened on this play, it is my personal and professional opinion that Bob Davidson should not be allowed anywhere on a professional baseball field. He is a terrible umpire.

How he got let back into the game after several much more qualified MLB Umpire resignees were not permitted back is a travesty.

Davidson, Hernandez, Bucknor--they're an embarrassment to the game. Just my worthless 2 cents, of course.
Please forward to MLB, 245 Park Avenue, New York City, New York 10167
Old Fri Aug 22, 2014, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Please forward to MLB, 245 Park Avenue, New York City, New York 10167
"Thanks for being a fan of Major League Baseball."
Old Fri Aug 29, 2014, 02:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post