The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 15, 2014, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Interference Question

No one on. No one out. Batter hits ground ball to left side of infield, BU thinking batted ball got through to left field, runs into the infield to pivot to see BR touch first.

Just then the ball whizzes by the BU's head because the ball was actually fielded by third baseman deep in the hole. Umpire, as cool as the other side of the pillow, makes the "out" call at first. BR out by a few steps.

First baseman is wide eyed looking at the umpire because the BU almost got nailed in the back of the head.

I'm not going to lie. That BU was me. I seen both the third baseman and short stop go for it but I swear the ball got through.

I know about a batted ball hitting an umpire but what about a thrown ball like in this situation. Live ball, play on? If so, what if the umpire is knocked out?
Old Tue Jul 15, 2014, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Live ball, play on. Knocked out - go to 1-man mechanics!

Knocked out and solo ... go to 0-man mechanics ... which means - find out what they decided after you wake up.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jul 17, 2014, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Umpire Interference can only happen 2 ways:
  1. PU interferes with F2's attempt to retire a runner
  2. BU is hit by a batted ball before it goes past a fielder, excluding the pitcher.
Any other instance of an umpire being hit by a thrown ball or in a runner's or fielder's path is not, repeat, NOT umpire interference. As MD Longhorn stated, in your situation, if you were hit, play on. Of course you should never have lost the ball. Work on that and know where the ball is at all times. Let the ball take you to the play.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Umpire Interference can only happen 2 ways:
  1. PU interferes with F2's attempt to retire a runner
  2. BU is hit by a batted ball before it goes past a fielder, excluding the pitcher.
Any other instance of an umpire being hit by a thrown ball or in a runner's or fielder's path is not, repeat, NOT umpire interference. As MD Longhorn stated, in your situation, if you were hit, play on. Of course you should never have lost the ball. Work on that and know where the ball is at all times. Let the ball take you to the play.
There is a third way. Being in the runner's path has been sold as interference in an NCAA game. It seemed to work out OK.
Old Sun Jul 20, 2014, 07:23am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
There is a third way. Being in the runner's path has been sold as interference in an NCAA game. It seemed to work out OK.
Just because something was erroneously ruled in a game, that doesn't make it correct. This is in no way interference. If anything it would be umpire obstruction, and that equally does not exist.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jul 21, 2014, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually ... that was umpire obstruction.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 01:09pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
That was an incorrect ruling. Remember, just because "both coaches agree" doesn't mean it's the correct ruling.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 05:35pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Specifics? Where? When? I've been a D1 NCAA umpire for 30 years and have never heard of that either being acceptable or even happening in a college game. And it certainly flies in the face of every reputable school I've attended (Wendelstedt, for one).

JJ
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Specifics? Where? When? I've been a D1 NCAA umpire for 30 years and have never heard of that either being acceptable or even happening in a college game. And it certainly flies in the face of every reputable school I've attended (Wendelstedt, for one).

JJ
Trust me, it happened at College Station a year or two ago. I had the same comments from some D1 guys back then on a similar kinda tongue in cheek post. Will you accept confirmation by some of the other guys on this site or do I have to dig up the OP again. It was not a correct ruling but no one complained. And actually, per M D Longhorn, it was umpire obstruction. Again tongue in cheek.

Last edited by umpjim; Tue Jul 22, 2014 at 08:36pm.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Trust me, it happened at College Station a year or two ago. I had the same comments from some D1 guys back then on a similar kinda tongue in cheek post. Will you accept confirmation by some of the other guys on this site or do I have to dig up the OP again. It was not a correct ruling but no one complained. And actually, per M D Longhorn, it was umpire obstruction. Again tongue in cheek.
I remember it, too.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2014, 09:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
He's right. No need to look it up. It happened.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2014, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post

JJ
You were a member here when this happened at Texas A&M. It also happened in a Tennessee game. And yes, it flies in the face of the rules and every camp anyone's ever been to. And yes, it was incorrect - but they did it anyway and didn't get blasted by the NCAA for it - which shocked us all here.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jul 24, 2014, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You were a member here when this happened at Texas A&M. It also happened in a Tennessee game. And yes, it flies in the face of the rules and every camp anyone's ever been to. And yes, it was incorrect - but they did it anyway and didn't get blasted by the NCAA for it - which shocked us all here.
Apparently, JJ visits this site occasionally and doesn't remember the similar post he made back when it was first discussed and the link to the event was given. I do understand how incredulous he would be.