The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Bud Selig Meets with Ken Hawk Harrelson over Umpire Rant

Quote:
Ken "Hawk" Harrelson and MLB Commissioner Bud Selig spoke on Thursday regarding comments Harrelson had made during Wednesday's White Sox-Rays game after home plate umpire Mark Wegner ejected Chicago pitcher Jose Quintana for throwing at Tampa Bay right fielder Ben Zobrist. Manager Robin Ventura was ejected during the subsequent pitching change for arguing Quintana's ejection.
Close Call Sports: Bud Selig Meets with Ken Hawk Harrelson over Umpire Rant
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

A three game suspension would be appropriate (in a just world)
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Three games my butt.

Have the Big-mouth umpire one game behind the plate and we will truly find out what his true knowledge of the game really is. Hell, he knows it all anyway, so it shouldn't be that hard for him, should it?
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:03am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Three games my butt.

Have the Big-mouth umpire one game behind the plate and we will truly find out what his true knowledge of the game really is. Hell, he knows it all anyway, so it shouldn't be that hard for him, should it?
Harry Carey would be talking about an ice cold Budweiser while both teams were emptying the bench.

Hawk is from the old school. Just leave him be.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Hawk is from the old school.
His .239 career average indicates he missed a lot of classes.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, Harrelson cannot be disciplined by MLB because, as an employee of Comcast Sports, he is not under the control of MLB. Of course, Reinsdorf, who also had a talk with Harrelson, can exercise his "persuasive abilities" and get Comcast to do something if he wanted.

I happened to be watching that game live when Hawk's rant occurred. To say it was unprofessional was an understatement.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
Unfortunately, Harrelson cannot be disciplined by MLB because, as an employee of Comcast Sports, he is not under the control of MLB. Of course, Reinsdorf, who also had a talk with Harrelson, can exercise his "persuasive abilities" and get Comcast to do something if he wanted.

I happened to be watching that game live when Hawk's rant occurred. To say it was unprofessional was an understatement.
If MLB gives license for their games to be shown, not saying he can be fired, but MLB probably could take some other actions that would affect the club directly. I am going to assume that is why MLB is bringing in Hawk in for a little talk to remind him that they can do things to hurt the club if he embarrasses them any further.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Well, from what the MLB Network said after this on air rant, MLB couldn't do anything to him solely because he "doesn't fall under the control of MLB or the Chicago White Sox."

But as I said, this doesn't mean Reinsdorf can't pressure Comcast to do something if he wanted.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am sure if Reinsdorf said tomorrow, "I do not like Hawks continuous behavior about umpires and how he represents the White Sox Organization," I bet something would be done yesterday. Not because Reinsdorf can directly fire him, but because that if Comcast has a contact with the White Sox and probably does not want to lose that coverage they currently have. And considering who these commentators are and how they have close ties to the organization, I am sure these things are done all the time across the league and other leagues with similar local coverage contracts. Now I doubt Reinsdorf wants him gone or that Hawk is going anywhere soon, but rants like this might force his hand to get involved and I do not see Comcast putting up much of a fight as they have other things to lose over someone so unprofessional. He turned off a lot of people regardless of their affiliation with being an umpire.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

The fact that Reinsdorf sought a meeting with Harrelson to discuss the incident tells me Jerry isn't planning on doing anything more. Jerry has a knack of being too loyal to former Sox personnel and players, which is why he keeps so many of the has-beens around. This has been one of the biggest criticisms of Reinsdorf over the years.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

That is why I said I do not think much more will be done. Not unless Comcast wants to make a change and that is possible, but unlikely at this time.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I never thought anything would be done in the first place, at least by Jerry.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
Well, from what the MLB Network said after this on air rant, MLB couldn't do anything to him solely because he "doesn't fall under the control of MLB or the Chicago White Sox."

But as I said, this doesn't mean Reinsdorf can't pressure Comcast to do something if he wanted.
To me its simple here. Comcast presumably offered the most money to do the White Sox games and they control the announcers. If Comcast thought Hawk was adversely affecting their ratings, they would let him go. Reinsdorf and Selig might talk to him about the "good of the game" but ultimately its Comcast's decision.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 03:50pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is why I said I do not think much more will be done. Not unless Comcast wants to make a change and that is possible, but unlikely at this time.

Peace
What about WGNA?
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

They don't control his contract/employment; Comcast does.