The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 23, 2011, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

MLB Catcher Smacks Plate Umpire in Face

Yorvit Torrealabla didn't like a called strike. So, what does he do after he strikes out? He smacks/punches the umpire in the face. This happened in the Venezuelan League. I hope he gets kicked out of the league, charges are filed, and he gets to rot in a Venezuelan prison. If that doesn't happen MLB better suspend him under the new CBA.

Link

Video Only

Last edited by Toadman15241; Fri Dec 23, 2011 at 09:25pm.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2011, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Don't count on a suspension from MLB.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2011, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Don't count on any love from MLB umpires, though.

What's the over/under on the number of times he gets run next season?
Old Sun Dec 25, 2011, 11:28pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of all the marketing on the uniforms. Is that what they have to do to make ends meet?
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

SOP in all (?) areas except those controlled by MLB.
Old Mon Dec 26, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of all the marketing on the uniforms. Is that what they have to do to make ends meet?
While living overseas, I worked a number of games where uniform advertising was the norm. In Singapore, we were issued tournament uniforms with the Dunkin Donuts logo on the left sleeve. In China, the Baidu logo was across the back of the shirt. Collector's pins were traded by athletes and umpires. I had partners who wore hats covered with them. Gifts were given to umpires by the sponsors as well. It was an interesting dynamic to be sure.

Over there, umpires were almost beyond reproach. The level of respect was nice but your integrity was also expected to be stellar. It was not uncommon for umpires to apologize to club owners, league directors or personnel for making bad calls (post game). Likewise, umpires were not confornted and demeaned publicly. Our calls were unquestioned but we were expected to never do anything to embarass the game. Maybe that is why I ascribe to the philosophy of not accepting expected calls and doing what is necessary to get the calls right. Umpiring in Asia was often hot but refreshing. Had Yorvit behaved like that over there, he would have been put on a plane and shunnned. Karma will find him.

Edited:
ESPN just posted the story of how Yorvit will be suspended for the remainder of this winter league season and all of the next. That's a decent penalty for the Venezuelan who makes a bunch of coin playing back home. The Rangers have a year left on his contract and have stated that they are reviewing his behavior.
http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...la-hitting-ump

Last edited by MikeStrybel; Mon Dec 26, 2011 at 04:51pm.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 02:10am
In Time Out

There are probably MiLB umps working those winter leagues, also.

After Torrealba's lackluster season, I sure the Rangers would be looking to dump him from their 40 man roster, and use the extra money to find a suitable back-up to Napoli. They've traded Teagarden, and I believe were looking to pick up catching depth at the winter meetings.

BTW-I worked behind Teagarden a couple of times in HS, and he had some serious catching skills back then. He just strikes out too often to be an everyday MLB player.