The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I know in little league (at least in our local league) the on deck batter is directed to go to across the diamond and warm-up on the side of the diamond away from his team. I don't know why...

In High School games I've had a few coaches get upset about a batter warming up on their side of the field while the pitcher is taking his pre-inning pitches or when a new pitcher enters the game to warm-up. In this case they want the batter to stay on his own side of the diamond - the opposite of the Little League rule.

Where do I find direction in NFHS/FED rules that tells me where a batter is allowed to take his warm-up swings?

And what's the purpose? Are the coaches trying to create a rule that is not there?

Help... thanks, Tony
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

FED ruling

The rule in FED is 1-2-4.

Basically the players must warm up in their on-deck circle.

Players constantly want to get up close to the plate, but I just tell them you have to be in the on-deck circle.

Personally I always tell them "I don't want you to get hit", just to remind them its a safety rule.

We all remember the kid who got beaned a few years back while warming up while standing near the plate.

Also 2-23-1 talks about on-deck circle.

Thanks
David
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

I beaned a guy warming up when I was in high school. Same situation. I get brought in the pitch and the batter walks over and watches me pitch standing right next tot he batters box. I looked over at my coach and he just shrugged his shoulders as if to say what can you do? So I hit him in the leg on my next pitch. He looked up at the blue asking what was going on and got told that he should be in his circle, not over by the plate.

As I ump, I always make sure that batters stay in their circle as the pitcher is warming up.
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

In Little League the on deck batter is supposed to be behind the batter. It's a safety issue, for example LH Batter: on deck batter should be in 1st base on-deck circle. RH batter: on deck batter should be in 3rd base on deck circle. FED rules keep the on deck batter in his own on deck circle.
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tasoump
In Little League the on deck batter is supposed to be behind the batter. It's a safety issue, for example LH Batter: on deck batter should be in 1st base on-deck circle. RH batter: on deck batter should be in 3rd base on deck circle. FED rules keep the on deck batter in his own on deck circle.
Whoa, big fella. In LL (majors and below) the on-deck batter may not be on the field. PERIOD!!!

Everywhere else, O-DB is in circle on his/her side of the field. It makes no difference if left- or right-handed.

Bob