The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Demoting MLB umpires

A number of threads focus on ridding MLB of crew members for bad calls. A good question was asked (but never answered) regarding the practice of punishing MLB umpires for bad calls. I offer this and know others can add to it with stories of those who deserve it, earned fines or simply walked away from the scrutiny.

Joe Torre is the MLB Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations. Among his tasks is Umpire Management/Discipline. At his disposal are seven umpire supervisors: six with major-league umpiring experience, and another who is a longtime minor-league umpire in charge of developmental efforts at the Triple-A level. He also has on staff a special assistant and a director of umpire administration who manage a network of 11 field observers. They observe within a very specific set of parameters and do not have contact with the umpires. Each MLB umpire is evaluated for 55% of his games or so, with most being base assignments.

Virtually everything related to umpiring is scrutinized. From pitch-evaluation system, missed calls, ejections, demeanor, hustle, form, concentration and other situations they are all judged on a pass/fail system. Each of the 10-11 categories are graded in terms of exceeded / met / did not meet. They do not use a numerical grading scale for MLB crews. Playoff assignments are made after the supervisors meet for about three days in late September or early October. Their recommendations are given to Torre and then approved by Bud Selig’s office.

Joe Torre is the guy who handles umpire fines and suspensions - the former rarely making the news. MLB umpires are not demoted because of bad calls. Developmental discipline is not something they do. There is an understanding that umpires are human and mistakes happen. That is why Instant Replay is being considered as a tool for assisting them and why umpire conferences exist.

Crew members typically work a decade or so in MiLB before serving as a vacation/injury replacement. Some of those guys work years as a fill-in before getting the call. That’s a whole lot of experience, so demoting them for having a bad game/season is a huge penalty. Even with all of those games behind them, they are going to kick calls. The WUA and MLB protect them. Most of those guys are more critical of their performance than any review could ever be. Consider your most controversial game and you can appreciate the job they do every day.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=MikeStrybel;787659]A number of threads focus on ridding MLB of crew members for bad calls. A good question was asked (but never answered) regarding the practice of punishing MLB umpires for bad calls. I offer this and know others can add to it with stories of those who deserve it, earned fines or simply walked away from the scrutiny.

I don't know this for a fact but my gut feeling is that it's tougher to get rid of below average umpires in baseball than other sports. Certainly no one should be launched because of a bad call or game. But if over a course of a year you don't measure up to certain standards you should be fired. They do that at the lower levels of umpiring why not at the pinacle of the profession? There's too much at stake at the Major League level to not having the absolute best working the games. When was the last time an umpire in the show was fired because he was bad?

Last edited by gordon30307; Wed Sep 14, 2011 at 08:52am. Reason: spelling
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=gordon30307;787662]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
A number of threads focus on ridding MLB of crew members for bad calls. A good question was asked (but never answered) regarding the practice of punishing MLB umpires for bad calls. I offer this and know others can add to it with stories of those who deserve it, earned fines or simply walked away from the scrutiny.

I don't know this for a fact but my gut feeling is that it's tougher to get rid of below average umpires in baseball than other sports. Certainly no one should be launched because of a bad call or game. But if over a course of a year you don't measure up to certain standards you should be fired. They do that at the lower levels of umpiring why not at the pinacle of the profession? There's too much at stake at the Major League level to not having the absolute best working the games. When was the last time an umpire in the show was fired because he was bad?
I believe that was 4 years before never.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=mbcrowder;787792]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
I believe that was 4 years before never.
While MLB avoids the word "fired", there have been several instances of umpires being asked to retire. And, they did.

It's amazing how much speculation and incorrect information surrounds this topic. Just because one does not know what happens, that does not mean it doesn't happen.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Mike, thanks for your insightful reply.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
Mike, thanks for your insightful reply.
You are welcome... it was a correct reply as well.

"When was the last time an umpire in the show was fired because he was bad? " Correct answer: Never. (A note ... 3 Umpire SUPERVISORS were fired after the 2009 season. Not asked to retire ... fired.)

Mr. is correct as well, but as per MLB policy those retirements were treated as exactly that --- retirements, with all benefits that implies. NO umpire (so far) has been fired from MLB for on-the-job performance. At least one that I know of was fired for improprieties (the details escape my mind, but I believe he was selling his freebie plane tickets, or downgrading and keeping the money, or something like that). This same guy was already under investigation for selling memorabilia he had collected during and after games.

Also, several were allowed to resign during the strike quite a few years ago - those not rehired were saying they were fired and demanded recompensation for unlawful termination... I don't recall if every single one of those guys cases are over, nor how they were resolved. But still... none were "fired" because they were "bad umpires".

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

ô!ô

Quote:
"While MLB avoids the word "fired", there have been several instances of umpires being asked to retire. And, they did."
NEW YORK (AP) -- Al Clark, a major league umpire since 1977, was terminated by the commissioner's office this week for improperly using plane tickets in violation of his union's contract, baseball officials said.

Sandy Alderson, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office, confirmed Clark's termination but would not get into details.

"My only response is that he is no longer employed by major league baseball," Alderson said Friday.

News of the Clark's departure was first reported Friday by the New York Post, which said Clark was under investigation for issues related to memorabilia.

However, three baseball officials familiar with Clark's departure, speaking Friday on condition they not be identified, said the termination was due to the improper use of plane tickets.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

mb(Mike)... Oops, I was referring to Mike Strybel's initial post....I didn't see where there were two Mikes in the thread.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
mb(Mike)... Oops, I was referring to Mike Strybel's initial post....I didn't see where there were two Mikes in the thread.
You are welcome. The reference was obvious since I had stated in the original post that MLB umpires do not fear being let go due to performance.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No worries ... so --- where is this reply of Mike's to which you refer? All I see before my post is his OP ... no reply.

Oops.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
No worries ... so --- where is this reply of Mike's to which you refer? All I see before my post is his OP ... no reply.

Oops.
I think he means that Mike Strybel started this thread as a reply to a post in another, now-closed, thread.

I wasn't sure to which "Mike" Larry was referring, but I also don't think it matters.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think he means that Mike Strybel started this thread as a reply to a post in another, now-closed, thread.

I wasn't sure to which "Mike" Larry was referring, but I also don't think it matters.
Me neither, really... hence the smiley.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

This reminds me of Rosie Ruiz. Wait, I meant to use a smiley.

If someone thanks you, it matters.
Old Fri Sep 16, 2011, 02:53pm
Veteran College Umpire

Wasn't Al Clark fired for shoplifting baseball cards? I seem to remember that story from years back....

JJ
Old Fri Sep 16, 2011, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Wasn't Al Clark fired for shoplifting baseball cards? I seem to remember that story from years back....

JJ
Al Clark already mentioned here... downgrading plane tickets and using the difference for personal trips. He was under investigation for the other when this happened.

West Houston Mike
Closed Thread