The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 48
"Slinging the bat"

NFHS Is there any rule anywhere that states if the batter slings the bat and it hits the catcher, a team warning is issued? If so, if it happens a second time what happens?

Here is the situation I witnessed last week: In the third inning a batter slung his bat and the bat hit the catcher. The plate umpire came out after the play and told the coach he was issuing a warning to his team. The coach said ok.

Later in the game, another batter (same team) slung his bat and hit the catcher. After the play, the umpire called him out and returned all runners to their bases they occupied at the time of the pitch.

I had never heard of this, so when I got an opportunity I asked the coach of the team why the batter was out. He said for "slinging the bat". I asked him was this a "local rule" of this HS association. He said "no, it's a baseball rule". I thanked him went back to my seat.

Yesterday I saw the umpire at a coach pitch game. I asked him about the play. He said he would have ejected the second batter had it been his second time. I asked him was this a special rule of the HS association. He said it was a NFHS rule.

Let me say this, at no time did I argue with the coach or umpire. I have umpired many HS games. I just have never heard or read this rule.

Can anyone tell me where this rule is located in the book?

Thanks

Last edited by Mike51; Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 12:26pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The worlds of H.S., JUCCO, D3 - D1 baseball.
Posts: 61
I don't know of it being in the rule book. I would not have anything to rule unless I judge the act to be intentional. Then I would be issuing warning or ejecting based on general sportsmanship guidelines.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51 View Post
Yesterday I saw the umpire at a coach pitch game. I asked him about the play. He said he would have ejected the second batter had it been his second time. I asked him was this a special rule of the HS association. He said it was a NFHS rule.

Let me say this, at no time did I argue with the coach or umpire. I have umpired many HS games. I just have never heard or read this rule.

Can anyone tell me where this rule is located in the book?

Thanks
3-3-1c
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
3-3-1c
Right. The penalty is warn, then eject the next offender at the end of play. The umpire in Mike's case did not handle it correctly, but treated it as interference.

Might have confused it with 7-3-6, which treats a thrown bat as INT only when the bat interferes with a fielder making a play. Not this case.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The worlds of H.S., JUCCO, D3 - D1 baseball.
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
3-3-1c
Cool. I guess that means I gotta judge if he is careless too.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51 View Post
I have umpired many HS games. I just have never heard or read this rule.
Maybe you should take the time to read something more than just the exciting chapters of the rule book.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 03:19pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51 View Post
NFHS Is there any rule anywhere that states if the batter slings the bat and it hits the catcher, a team warning is issued? If so, if it happens a second time what happens?

Here is the situation I witnessed last week: In the third inning a batter slung his bat and the bat hit the catcher. The plate umpire came out after the play and told the coach he was issuing a warning to his team. The coach said ok.

Later in the game, another batter (same team) slung his bat and hit the catcher. After the play, the umpire called him out and returned all runners to their bases they occupied at the time of the pitch.
Lot of umpires refuse to make this call, some refuse to make the call unless there is a play involved (e.g. throw on R1 to 2b); others only call it if the bat hits them.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
Lot of umpires refuse to make this call, some refuse to make the call unless there is a play involved (e.g. throw on R1 to 2b); others only call it if the bat hits them.
They refuse to make the call because calling a runner out is incorrect (unless there is interference) and is a protestable call. Eject the offender. Play on!

I just worked with a guy who told me he called a batter out (under FED) because he was wearing jewelery after being warned earlier. Again...WRONG call! Eject is the prescribed penalty.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 91
"because calling a runner out is incorrect"

So do you replace the runner who is ejected at the end of the play since you say calling him out is inncorrect? So next question is what do you do with any other runners who advanced?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastordoug View Post
"because calling a runner out is incorrect"

So do you replace the runner who is ejected at the end of the play since you say calling him out is inncorrect? So next question is what do you do with any other runners who advanced?
As with (almost) all ejections: Replace the EJ player with a sub (if he's on base or on defense), the rest of the play stands.

(The "almost" is for those situations where the penalty is "out" and "out.")
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Posts: 18
Is the penalty the same in OBR, or just in FED?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Maybe you should take the time to read something more than just the exciting chapters of the rule book.
I have read all the rules. My only question is whether or not the batter is out. That is what I am asking.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,057
Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Mike,

For "slinging the bat", in and of itself, the penalty is NOT an out. Under FED rules, as others have already stated, it's a team warning followed by an ejection for the player of that team who next commits the offense.

If his throwing of the bat actually interferes with a play or attempted play by the defense, then an out would be a proper call.

cb33,

There is no equivalent to the "warn, then eject" penalty for "bat throwing" in OBR rules. However, if the thrown bat interferes with a play or attempted play, the batter would be out under OBR rules as well.

In either code, if the bat is thrown to express the player's displeasure with a call (as opposed to just being "careless"), it's an "automatic" eject.

JM
__________________
Finally, be courteous, impartial and firm, and so compel respect from all.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 320
The rulebook will list every way a player can be called out. It will not list the way it was done in the OP.
__________________
"That's all I have to say about that."
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 10:25pm
DG DG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Viverito View Post
Cool. I guess that means I gotta judge if he is careless too.
If released bat strikes catcher, or me, it is careless, no judgement required.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABC's "Nightline" examines "worst calls ever" tonight pizanno Basketball 27 Fri Jul 04, 2008 06:08am
Finding a "good" video/DVD on 2 man mechanics" Linknblue Basketball 3 Mon Dec 10, 2007 08:55am
Can "FOUL" be made "FAIR"? PAT THE REF Baseball 60 Sat Feb 24, 2007 08:01pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1