The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   "Slinging the bat" (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/68147-slinging-bat.html)

Mike51 Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:22pm

"Slinging the bat"

NFHS Is there any rule anywhere that states if the batter slings the bat and it hits the catcher, a team warning is issued? If so, if it happens a second time what happens?

Here is the situation I witnessed last week: In the third inning a batter slung his bat and the bat hit the catcher. The plate umpire came out after the play and told the coach he was issuing a warning to his team. The coach said ok.

Later in the game, another batter (same team) slung his bat and hit the catcher. After the play, the umpire called him out and returned all runners to their bases they occupied at the time of the pitch.

I had never heard of this, so when I got an opportunity I asked the coach of the team why the batter was out. He said for "slinging the bat". I asked him was this a "local rule" of this HS association. He said "no, it's a baseball rule". I thanked him went back to my seat.

Yesterday I saw the umpire at a coach pitch game. I asked him about the play. He said he would have ejected the second batter had it been his second time. I asked him was this a special rule of the HS association. He said it was a NFHS rule.

Let me say this, at no time did I argue with the coach or umpire. I have umpired many HS games. I just have never heard or read this rule.

Can anyone tell me where this rule is located in the book?

Thanks

Chris Viverito Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:27pm

I don't know of it being in the rule book. I would not have anything to rule unless I judge the act to be intentional. Then I would be issuing warning or ejecting based on general sportsmanship guidelines.

bob jenkins Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike51 (Post 753487)
Yesterday I saw the umpire at a coach pitch game. I asked him about the play. He said he would have ejected the second batter had it been his second time. I asked him was this a special rule of the HS association. He said it was a NFHS rule.

Let me say this, at no time did I argue with the coach or umpire. I have umpired many HS games. I just have never heard or read this rule.

Can anyone tell me where this rule is located in the book?

Thanks

3-3-1c

mbyron Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 753492)
3-3-1c

Right. The penalty is warn, then eject the next offender at the end of play. The umpire in Mike's case did not handle it correctly, but treated it as interference.

Might have confused it with 7-3-6, which treats a thrown bat as INT only when the bat interferes with a fielder making a play. Not this case.

Chris Viverito Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 753492)
3-3-1c

Cool. I guess that means I gotta judge if he is careless too.

BretMan Tue Apr 26, 2011 03:05pm

Quote:

I have umpired many HS games. I just have never heard or read this rule.

Maybe you should take the time to read something more than just the exciting chapters of the rule book. :)

Simply The Best Tue Apr 26, 2011 03:19pm

Quote:

NFHS Is there any rule anywhere that states if the batter slings the bat and it hits the catcher, a team warning is issued? If so, if it happens a second time what happens?

Here is the situation I witnessed last week: In the third inning a batter slung his bat and the bat hit the catcher. The plate umpire came out after the play and told the coach he was issuing a warning to his team. The coach said ok.

Later in the game, another batter (same team) slung his bat and hit the catcher. After the play, the umpire called him out and returned all runners to their bases they occupied at the time of the pitch.

Lot of umpires refuse to make this call, some refuse to make the call unless there is a play involved (e.g. throw on R1 to 2b); others only call it if the bat hits them. :p

dileonardoja Tue Apr 26, 2011 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply The Best (Post 753544)
Lot of umpires refuse to make this call, some refuse to make the call unless there is a play involved (e.g. throw on R1 to 2b); others only call it if the bat hits them. :p

They refuse to make the call because calling a runner out is incorrect (unless there is interference) and is a protestable call. Eject the offender. Play on!

I just worked with a guy who told me he called a batter out (under FED) because he was wearing jewelery after being warned earlier. Again...WRONG call! Eject is the prescribed penalty.

pastordoug Tue Apr 26, 2011 05:51pm

"because calling a runner out is incorrect"

So do you replace the runner who is ejected at the end of the play since you say calling him out is inncorrect? So next question is what do you do with any other runners who advanced?

bob jenkins Tue Apr 26, 2011 07:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastordoug (Post 753580)
"because calling a runner out is incorrect"

So do you replace the runner who is ejected at the end of the play since you say calling him out is inncorrect? So next question is what do you do with any other runners who advanced?

As with (almost) all ejections: Replace the EJ player with a sub (if he's on base or on defense), the rest of the play stands.

(The "almost" is for those situations where the penalty is "out" and "out.")

cb33 Tue Apr 26, 2011 07:36pm

Is the penalty the same in OBR, or just in FED? :confused:

Mike51 Tue Apr 26, 2011 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 753539)
Maybe you should take the time to read something more than just the exciting chapters of the rule book. :)

I have read all the rules. My only question is whether or not the batter is out. That is what I am asking.

UmpJM Tue Apr 26, 2011 09:31pm

Mike,

For "slinging the bat", in and of itself, the penalty is NOT an out. Under FED rules, as others have already stated, it's a team warning followed by an ejection for the player of that team who next commits the offense.

If his throwing of the bat actually interferes with a play or attempted play by the defense, then an out would be a proper call.

cb33,

There is no equivalent to the "warn, then eject" penalty for "bat throwing" in OBR rules. However, if the thrown bat interferes with a play or attempted play, the batter would be out under OBR rules as well.

In either code, if the bat is thrown to express the player's displeasure with a call (as opposed to just being "careless"), it's an "automatic" eject.

JM

Forest Ump Tue Apr 26, 2011 09:34pm

The rulebook will list every way a player can be called out. It will not list the way it was done in the OP.

DG Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Viverito (Post 753498)
Cool. I guess that means I gotta judge if he is careless too.

If released bat strikes catcher, or me, it is careless, no judgement required.